Xiaomi & Aqara Devices - Pairing & Keeping them connected

Nope, the bulbs will be using HUE, the switches will stay in HE

2 Likes

No, they won't, but you wrote:

which I took to mean that your bulbs were paired to Hubitat and not Hue.

Sorry wasn't very clear, I did have all the bulbs thru my Philips Hue hub but to try and remedy the problems removed the Hue hub and reset the whole ZigBee on Hubitat and rebuilt the network with the Philips bulbs connected to the Hubitat and seven days of bliss :slight_smile: then rebooted the hub and now pain :frowning:

That error message is completely unrelated to the device being connected to a repeater and/or data corruption. It's just caused by an unimportant type of message received that my driver wasn't coded to ignore. Given the fact that the driver code executes in a new instance for every single message received, no important data is lost and there's nothing really to worry about.

I will one of these days (when things are "calmed" down at home - ha!) get around to including code that gets rid of that error which evidently causes way more user stress and consternation than any actual loss of functionality. :rofl:

However, if you have Philips Hue bulbs directly connected to your Hubitat's ZigBee network, then yes, you can expect potential issues with Xiaomi / Aqara devices that land up routing via those Hue bulbs.

Keep in mind, though, that according to some reports Hue bulbs seem to cause issues for more than just Xiaomi / Aqara devices, too:

However, Hubitat staff have said that Hue bulbs will act as repeaters just fine for fully Zigbee HA-compliant devices (which doesn't include Xiaomi / Aqara). See this thread, starting at this post:

1 Like

Thanks Keith, hope things settle down soon :slight_smile: the thing that confuses me is the switch stops responding then when pressed multiple times comes back to life and monitoring the logs when it does come back to life you get this:

dev:7522020-01-07 07:35:51.144 pm debugSingle Light Button by Bedroom 2: Parsing message: read attr - raw: 25C90100004401FF421F0121110D0328130421A8430521F60006240600030000082108140A21E51F, dni: 25C9, endpoint: 01, cluster: 0000, size: 44, attrId: FF01, encoding: 42, command: 0A, value: 1F0121110D0328130421A8430521F60006240600030000082108140A21E51F

dev:7522020-01-07 07:35:49.786 pm errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: null (parse)

The switch does not turn on the light linked to it, as soon as the above is received you press the switch again and the light linked operates, you do not see the error until the switch drops off again and then multiple presses does the same thing.

This was happening exactly the same when I had all the bulbs linked to my Hue hub, there were no bulbs on Hubitat, the only repeaters that were on the network were the IKEA smartplugs. The rest of the ZigBee network consists of No Neutral Xiaomi light switches which have never dropped off and have worked faultlessly for a very long time.

So my wish for the New Year is for a nice looking wireless light switch that wont upset she who must be obeyed :slight_smile:

VJV, does this sent on 6 PM a message with the status of the device or a report of that day?
I was struggling with watchdog and made this rule (the sensor is reporting every 50-55 min). It is an instant message when there is an issue

Report of offline devices, if any.

The rule should work but I prefer the Watchdog app for my 23 Xiaomi devices

Ok, if a device goes offline at 7PM you know it the next day at 6PM, correct?

Yes, but you can add more reports at different times.

2 Likes

Hi All, did anyone here ever try Xiaomi sensors routing through the new Sonoff Basic ZBR3 switch?

Hi, I understand a solid mesh network with Xiaomi compateble repeaters is the base to keep the xiaomi sensors connected.
Today I have a total of 3 Xiaomi sensors all in range of 5m (16feet) from the HUB, 2 sensors in the same room. The sensors are working fine for 10+ days but the 2 sensors in the same room are dropping sometimes the connection. In that case I need to pair them again to make them work.
Is the HE not able to keep the sensors connected in a range of 5m? Do I really need extra devices to make a meshnetwork for 5 m (16feet)?
Is the zigbee network of the HE "Xiaomi proof" or is this the reason of my problems?

Unfortunately there are other factors to take into account. I recently rebuilt my mesh for the same reasons as you but also did a scan of the surrounding WIFI environment and deliberately set my own wifi as well as zigbee channels to be as interference free as I could make it. So far nearly zero dropouts in the 2/3 weeks since except for one sensor which got accidentally paired to a repeater in another room.

2 Likes

A lot of people seem to have had good stability by ensuring their Xiaomi devices are on their own zigbee mesh !
I've avoided Xiaomi sensors due to their TCO and the complexity in keeping them online, far outweighing any upfront savings.
Just too "hit and miss" for my home peace :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I guess this is the issue, but they're so cheap, (especially for us Australians compared to other stuff). I guess if I had to do it all over again I might well break out the mi hub from storage ans use mi connect. But what will I do with all the spare Tradfri repeaters then :grinning:

3 Likes

ST sensors work great, as do Iris motions exEbay, with much less hassle.

2 Likes

I have the Original Xiaomi round button and it works well if I use it everyday. If I don't use it for some time (between 24 to 48 hours) it stops sending logs. Then I have to discover and add the device again and it works fine again.
Does anybody else noticed this in this device?

Do you mean the Mijia "Switch" like this one?

I have half a dozen of these (original round) and a Cube. After making sure that they were all joined to the network as child devices of one of @iharyadi's Environment Sensors (a Xiaomi friendly parent), they almost never have needed attention (been solid since last October, as I recall). Some I use daily, the rest maybe once or twice a week. Once in a while I may need to press the button twice for an action to trigger, but that's usually a sign that my hub needs to be restarted due to other issues.

Yes it's the one in the link you posted.

Sometimes when I don't press the button for some time, I also need to press the button two times (only works at the second time) but sometimes it stops working at all.

I also have an Original Motion Sensor and it works flawlessly, only the button seems to lose the connection. Nevertheless the button is further from the hub and maybe that's the cause of the issue

I have three of those. One is now connected to my Aqara hub, one I'm not using, and one is still connected to HE. I don't use it as much anymore since I have a Opple 6 button controller that I like better, but it always works when I try it.

Mine if very close to the hub (about 8 feet) and there is an IKEA Trådfri outlet about 2 feet from the button. You're in the EU, so you should be able to easily get the Trådfri outlets, They are Zigbee 3.0, inexpensive, and most importantly the Xiaomi devices are compatible with them and will choose them as a router.

You might also try just changing the battery. Xiaomi ships those with the battery enabled, so it might just be weak. However, it's possible you just didn't get a great one. Of the three, when I used to have all of them paired with HE, one would still fall off if I didn't use it often enough, just like you're describing. That one is what is now paired with the Aqara hub, which of course if never falls off and it's further away, in spot of my son's room that is normally a radio dead spot, with no repeaters. Xiaomi designs their stuff to work perfectly with their hub. What else can you say about it. :man_shrugging:

1 Like