Device slowing down C7 hub?

Yeah sorry about that, tried forcing the desktop page from my phone, but it doesn't let me zoom out enough to screen shot the whole page.

It looks like the ghosted node stayed "removed" after following those steps, so that's good

The "sump pump failure" device is a battery powered utilitech water sensor. I'm not sure if the batteries are dead, but I'll try fresh ones after work. I don't think it reports battery life correctly, since it shows 100%. It now shows a route change after the previous screenshot of that's of relevance.

More screenshots of the device mentioned above. I also just turned on debug logging as it was off by default.

Screenshot_20230707_093751_Chrome

Yeah it has a route now so its fine. You should be all set.

Perfect, thanks again!

I'll experiment with power reporting to verify everything is still working for what we need. Believe it or not, we've had one sump pump fail off and almost flood the basement, then a few months ago another failed in the on position and almost started on fire in a basement. So I'm really proactive to make sure that doesn't happen again.

I'm with you on paying attention to it. I've got a whole section of a dashboard to monitor it. It also serves as a proxy for monitoring the soil saturation level that my septic system is being subjected to so we can take appropriate action.

Some water leak sensors are used also to make sure it is functioning. I've considered putting a camera in there.

That's smart, have you found any hardwired water/moisture sensors that work well? We have some ZigBee ones to monitor by our washer, but they eat batteries like crazy.

Check out this thread: How I Monitor my Sump Pump

I have some images of my setup with the leak sensor (with a lead) strapped to the pipe inside the pit.

Any leak sensor with a lead would work, I was going to use this ecolink one but they were hard to find at the time: https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Zwave-Freeze-Sensor-FLF-ZWAVE5-ECO/dp/B0716YVPLG/ref=asc_df_B0716YVPLG

The one I used is a "NEO Coolcam" brand from Ali Express, they also make a Zigbee version which some people on this forum I have seen mention as well. Mine is on the original battery from a while ago and still showing 90%.

1 Like

I use the NEO Coolcam as well.

I've not had an issue with battery life, but in some other scenarios, I've rigged a 2-pack of AA batteries and soldered the wires to the battery contacts. That should last a very long time.

I have a bunch of those Utilitech water sensors.
They are very quiet.
I check in on them once in a while.
I'll test the one later that last reported on 6/21 in the table below, and I bet it alarms.
I replaced the batteries in all of them a couple weeks ago when I found several of them went into 'battery alarm'. One even was totally dead.
Of course, there's no way for me to get the alarm into Hubitat.
I left one's old batteries in, because it was at 60%, and I have a theory that battery % of null gets evaluated to zero by Hubitat, so I'm hoping it'll report in the battery notification rule I have (<10%) when goes into alarm.
Still pays to check out to see if they actually work once in a while.

Most will physically alarm but if it hasn't reported in since 6/21 it's likely dropped off the mesh. That's why I use device activity check

Worked as it's supposed to.

1 Like

Usually when I see that it's dropped off

You looking at Zigbee?
These Z-wave water sensors are very quiet.
Conserves battery too, I suppose, esp. since they're Z-wave and use more energy.

My z-wave ones report in too.. A lot (Dome Sensors)

What can I say, they were cheap.
I like the long wire on it too.
My idea was that the sensor was away from the potential water.
While not hideous, out of sight would be better.
Batteries are a little hard to replace.
Not sure what I'd buy now, but these guys are working.

I seem to be having a hard time with the zen15 and rule I've set. It seems like there's a disconnect between a notification rule I have and the device reporting intervals/thresholds.

I'm sure it's my mistake, just not sure where. I was testing the plug with a hair dryer to verify if it runs for more than two minutes, I'm alerted and a dome siren plays a chime.

It seems to do it if the device sees any power draw, regardless of duration. I've attached some screenshots of the device settings and the simple notification I've set up.

I've plugged the hair dryer in, turned it on for about 10 seconds and saw a power draw of about 430, and then turn it off. I then get the notification, even though it hasn't been over the two minute period threshold I've set.

Don't you want a greater than sign in the trigger?

2 Likes

Welp....that would do it lol. I appreciate it!

1 Like