[DEPRECATED] NOAA Weather Alerts

Does this switch also turn OFF when the weather alert goes away? If not, how are people handling that?

For example, if I flash my lights red for a tornado warning, how do i know when to turn them off? I will certainly program a button that does this, but I'm thinking more about the case where an alert is triggered while I'm away. My lights in that case should be flashing still when I walk in the door, if the tornado warning is still active.

The switch is for you to use with either RM or some other app. Most people will use RM and then shutoff the switch after their rule has completed.

2.4.9 - removed AppWatchDog, removed states from alertarea, removed timezones, changed logging to only output errors, fixed bugs in test API results

2 Likes

Downloaded the latest update and this what I see in my test alert. Just ignore since your app is looking for a current alert?

https://api.weather.gov/alerts?point=44.302018%2C-92.674947&status=actual&message_type=alert&severity=minor,moderate,severe,extreme

Moderate Winter Weather AdvisoryWeather Alert for the following counties:Winter Weather Advisory issued April 3 at 2:53AM until April 3 at 4:00PM by the National Weather Service of Twin Cities/Chanhassen Minnesota. This is the end of this Weather Announcement.

Can you PM me your full test results. Looks like the counties are not showing up. Also send me what your default alert custom msg is formatted.

• 2.5.0 - fixed alertarea counties dependent on certani weather announcement differences

thanks @CurtisZM for helping squash bugs!

1 Like

I have a restriction set for the app NOT to alert when in night mode. There was an alert issued at 4 am this morning, and it shows up when I perform the test. However, it did not alert when night mode ended even though it was still active for our area.

Should the app (or can the app) simply delay the alert until the restriction ends as long as it is still active? I am using Google home speakers for the alert. The test alert is working fine. Thanks.

The app does not do that currently. I will have to noodle on how I could incorporate that request. Do you use push notifications?

No. I just use audio alerts. I get weather notifications via other means when I'm out, but this is nice to have at home.

If you enable pushover notifications and you enable the push notifications to happen even if in restricted mode you will receive the alert on your phone. That is the best workaround currently for your scenario.

Thanks. I already get weather notifications on my phone from other services. I really like your app on the Google speakers for notification around the house when my phone isn't near.

How about an option of being able to select time restrictions for specific alert types? That would allow the user to choose warnings or severe alerts to go through in night mode while watches and other less severe events are restricted. Might be easier to code?

Thanks again for your input. I really like the app.

1 Like
  • 2.5.1 - added severity alerts option that can ignore current mode or switch restrictions

Changes and manual intervention needed

Latest version of application WILL create its own NOAA Tile. If you are using the NOAA Tile you will need to modify all of your dashboards after deleting your manually created device. My apologies about having you all do this but having the app manage the creation, update and deletion of the device is more reliable for support.

App - 2.5.2 - removed manual process of creation of NOAA Tile. App now checks and autocreates device
Driver - 1.2.2 - removed AppWatchDog driver code

1 Like

@aaron I can't tell if I am getting the latest version because at the bottom of the app it does not change to 2.5.2, still says 2.5.1. Obviously it has been updated or I wouldn't see the new tile. So just cosmetic.

Dashboard is working correctly BTW.

1 Like

2.5.3 - fixed repeat issues (thanks CurtisZM)

Fixed that too. :slight_smile:

I must be missing something. When I go to setup this App, I don't see any of my Echo speakers in the list. Can you help me or point me to how to get those in my Hubitat?

Look under speech speakers. If you are not using Echo Speaks then your speakers show up only as a speech speaker.

They are not listed there either. I can control my devices using the Echo's by voice. Is there something else I have to setup?

Sorry in advance for the dumb questions. I just got my Hubitat setup last week.

No worries! What app are you using to bring your echo devices into Hubitat? There are really only two options:

Or...

1 Like