[DEPRECATED] NOAA Weather Alerts

I installed the new code and am getting the following error after running the test:

Unexpected Error

An unexpected error has occurred trying to load the app. Check Logs for more information.

Error: No signature of method: java.lang.String.Integer() is applicable for argument types: () values: [] Possible solutions: toInteger(), isInteger(), intern(), center(java.lang.Number), center(java.lang.Number, java.lang.CharSequence), indexOf(int)

The tile still appears not to be clearing

Thanks

Alright helps if I click save on my copy, then copy the corrected code into GitHub and THEN post I have it fixed. Ugh what a day. Sorry about that.

Hi @aaron. Unfortunately, we've been having a problem lately with v2.4.6 repeating the same alert over and over every few minutes. Repeat is turned off. I tried turning repeat on and back off again to see if that would help, but it didn't. There seems to be a severe tstorm warning a special weather statement from earlier this afternoon stuck in the api (https://api.weather.gov/alerts?point=31.313382%2C-91.834539&status=actual&message_type=alert&severity=moderate,severe,extreme).

2.4.7 - fixed repeat issue from 2.4.6

The error message is now gone. However, the tile is still not refreshing for me.

When I look at the events lof of the tile, it shows the initial test event. If I run additional tests, they do not register in the event log.

What is your timeout for the tile reset?

3 minutes, I shortened it for the test to see if it would clear.

I just checked again. It did clear, but it took 2.5 hours.

I think I have a calculation wrong. Let me look.

2.4.8 - added additional checkState configurations and activities

It looks like it's working correctly now, Thanks!

1 Like

Too bad that NWS doesn't update the API fast enough. Getting a fog advisory which has expired. After that is the Winter Weather Advisory which is active until the 31st.

@CurtisZM

It should update immediately. The NOAA application should pickup on it depending on your settings. The default settings only Watches for severe weather alerts. You can include the other minor alerts too.

Looking at the API from NWS, should your wxURL include "active=true"? Or does that cause an issue?

No it defaults to a true

• 2.4.9 - fixed API undocumented changes from weather.gov (thanks CurtisZM!)
1 Like

You're welcome @aaron. ..Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Aaron.

You will have to look into the active=true in the URL. Today, my location has a Winter Weather Advisory until January 13. If active=true is in the url, no alerts. If I take it out then I see the Advisory. Not sure how NWS determines that part of the URL.

Not Dispalying the Advisory:
https://api.weather.gov/alerts?active=true&point="My Coordinates" &status=actual&message_type=alert&severity=minor,moderate,severe,extreme

No JSON feed currently available for your coordinates. Either there are no weather alerts in your area or you need to change options above to acquire desired results.

Displaying the Advisory:
https://api.weather.gov/alerts?&point="My Coordinates" &status=actual&message_type=alert&severity=minor,moderate,severe,extreme

Status Actual
Message Type Alert
Category Met
Certainty Likely
Urgency Expected
Sender Name NWS Twin Cities/Chanhassen MN
Event Type Winter Weather Advisory
Headline Winter Weather Advisory issued January 12 at 9:50AM CST until January 13 at 12:00AM CST by NWS Twin Cities/Chanhassen MN

Can anyone give me some insight into the functioning of a couple of aspects of this great tool:

1. "Switch to turn ON with Alert": I want to use this to trigger a tornado warning siren sound. I get that it turns on when the alert triggers, but when does it turn off? Does the NOAA app turn it off at some point (what point?), or do I have to turn it off in a rule after examining the Alert Custom Attribute of the Tile?

2. Repeating: If I have the Poll Frequency set to every 5 Mins, and then I get a severe Thunderstorm Warning, I assume that the Echo Speaks alert would trigger. But what happens if the warning is still in effect after 5 mins when it polls again? Does it resend the alert to echo to speak, and turn the Switch on again, or is it smart enough to recognize that this is the same alert it already triggered on?

3. What happens if there are simultaneous alerts such as Severe Thunderstorm Warning and a Tornado Warning? Or in my area, it is likely that there would be a Tropical Storm Warning and a Tornado Warning at the same time. What happens then?

Thanks for the insights,

LJ

1. Correct you will need to turn off switch
  2. Only new alerts are announced
  3. There is only a single alert or they combine the alert for each broadcast.