[Deprecated] GE/Jasco Zwave Plus Dimmer Switch with Double Tap, Associations

Yeah, the switches do have a timeout setting. That's what param 10 is. When the switch is set to manual mode param 10 specifies how much time will pass until they trigger motion again. It's in hardware. I'm not sure if that is a typical use for param 10 since companies are supposed to follow a standard but that's how this switch implements it. I can see it from looking at NuttyTree's original ST driver.

Anyway, thanks for the information. I guess I will be running a custom driver since I super dig having access to the refresh trigger delay setting thinger. In high traffic areas I set it very high so there is less crap going on. In remote locations in the house (like the basement bathroom) I like it very low so that somebody moving in and out of the bathroom can get crisp responses from making mistakes, etc. while deciding what to do while moving around. Not sure if that makes sense for you but it makes a ton of sense for me and I like what I like.

Any drawback to running a custom driver on HE? On ST it meant cloud processing but I don't think that's a thing on HE.

It is getting confusing in here because people are referring to completely different models of devices - which have very different capabilities (both in hardware and in the default driver in HE).

Of course the MOTION switch and dimmer have a timeout. :smile: The auto off timer for the MOTION switch and dimmer is exposed in the default driver.

Note, though, that the MOTION switch and dimmer do not support the double tap functions I mentioned before in hardware.

Also, you can of course set the auto off timer setting from the switch buttons themselves, if you have no need to change them programmatically.

So just for clarity, there's no more recent community driver for this switch? I thought it was a common smart switch to use...do people just not care about double tap features, or is there a software workaround that I'm missing?

I have GE dimmers and switches throughout my new house (all the zwave plus models of appropriate firmware for double-tap and associations, 14292 for the dimmers). I'm not so worried about associations, as I only tend to associate TO the GE switches from a dumb in wall zwave switch.

The double tap, however, is extremely useful, and the delays on SmartThings to process the double tap was a driver in my looking into Hubitat. Does anyone have this successfully working? I couldn't get it running on the original driver above. I could "double tap" in the web interface, but physical double taps did not function.

I spend so much time on home automation already that my wife wants to slap me, so maybe HE just isn't for me until it's a bit more mature?

The built in driver will probably never support double tap. they seem pretty happy keeping it generic, and in my e-mails back and forth with support there was no indication that they have any plans to improve the built-in driver to support this.

So you have to resort to either making your own driver, or seeing if there's a community one. The double tap functionality is pretty easy to add on, and I thought I did before on my HE driver. Or maybe I tried and it didn't work. I can't remember. I'll have to go look.

I mainly use the motion switch and motion dimmer at this point so haven't looked at the regular switch and regular dimmer device handlers in a while.

I am also a user of the GE/Jasco 14291 switches and 14294 dimmers, and I am very interested in a driver that supports double tap and associations. So far I haven't found a community driver that works and supports all the features although there are a couple listed as deprecated that aren't fully functional for me. Any suggestions on where to find a driver would be appreciated.

That said, I am teaching myself how to write drivers. There is limited documentation but many community drivers to use as a starting point and reference. I am working on drivers for my needs but I'm happy to share if I get something working. If anyone wants to help to me code or test (or just guide) that will help a lot!

@steven Take a peek at the updated 14291 and 14294 drivers I released this week. They both support doubletap natively. In fact, they support all published hardware features of those switch/dimmer models.

There are multiple people using both drivers at this point, and have confirmed doubletap is working as expected/as described in the posts.

Looks like it may not be handling crc16encap FYI

If that applies to my drivers (looks like it might?) I don't have any GE devices that use CRC16 encap commands, so this is going to to tough to troubleshoot. So the driver comment that it won't work on 12xxx devices might be true after all.

I'll look into it, though.

EDIT: @jon1 If you re using my drivers, I redid the CRC16 handling this morning based on the example Hubitat provided. I would update the driver and see if it helps/works.

If you do try it, please let me know. Since I don't have a device that does CRC16, I'm flying blind here.

sorry I realize I posted this in the wrong thread. shall we continue over there?

1 Like

@JasonJoelOld, I tried your drivers ... Very nice!. I am using associations to create multiway switches. Your driver makes it easy to set up one to many and many to one relationships. I do see some warnings in my log about parse returning null which might be normal? I'll look into that eventually. Also, I find the switch on/off state fails to update with delays greater than about 3 secs. I've seen similar happen with the built in generic driver. Hitting refresh on the generic will update the status but with your driver it doesn't update the status.

Thanks so much for sharing your hard work. If I can find any issues, or better yet fixes, I'll pass them back to you.

I'll take a look at the long dimmer time out refresh issue. I tried to put some logic in there to handle that, but I don't think it's working quite the way I expected.

Edit: I modified the refresh command, and it should update on/off now. I also tweaked the refresh on long delays. It might help, but I didn't really have time to test it.

You're right. I crossed the streams. I have actually been looking for drivers for all four of the switches these GE switches (motion [dimmer|switch] and 14xxx [dimmer|switch]). Sorry for that. And now... it appears you have done my work for me by releasing the two other drivers. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Thank you!

@mike.maxwell Is double-tap support in the generic driver something that is still being looked at or is it not going to happen as JasonJoel's interaction from support has suggested? There is a hardware event for it. It must not be what you're used to seeing or it would be working already though.

If it's not going to happen can you give me a hint at how you implemented the flash command? I have tried a couple of things but it's never as consistent as the OOB driver.

It's in there, just never implemented in this driver.
Not a big priority right now.

The standard software flash implementation can be found here.

1 Like

@JasonJoel @JasonJoelOld

Was wondering if you could assist. I have 3 GE Dimmer switches all the same model. The dimmer driver works fantastic on two of them but for some reason on the third one I can't get on/off to work. I can set the level and that works. And I have associated this third one via double tap to another dimmer and it works fine. Log is below:

dev:5322019-08-22 09:41:51.487 am infoCouch is 99%

dev:5322019-08-22 09:41:37.140 am infoCouch was turned on [digital]

dev:5322019-08-22 09:41:37.124 am infoCouch is 10%

dev:5322019-08-22 09:41:31.659 am errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 311 (on)

dev:5322019-08-22 09:41:18.099 am errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 311 (on)

dev:5322019-08-22 09:41:10.526 am infoconfigure triggered

dev:5322019-08-22 09:41:06.261 am inforefresh() is called

dev:5322019-08-22 09:40:58.188 am errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object on line 311 (on)

Edit: "Off" via the dashboard does not register in the logs.

Second Edit: I have been struggling with this for days and apparently all I had to do was post the question because it somehow miraculously healed and is now working fine. NM.

Gnat I am having very similar issues --- ON And Set Level work. OFF Does not work from the devices screen. I posted full details on the Botched1 release thread. Did you find a solution yet?

I have no idea how it started working. Something I did that morning is click the refresh and configure button a few times and used the set level button too. Then about 10 minutes later it was working with on/off. Not a very technical answer, but that is what I did

No idea here either. The logs look like it should be working.

That said, I would try:

1. Switch to the in-box driver driver
  2. Hit configure
  3. Wait 30 sec
  4. Hit refresh
  5. Try on and off from the device page
  6. Try on and off physically at the switch
  7. Try on and off from the device page again

If all of that works, then I would try switching to the user driver you want and repeat the exact same steps. If on/off doesn't work on the user driver, but does on the in-box, then there is a driver issue.

If it doesn't work on the in-box driver, well then you probably have a zwave mesh problem.

@JasonJoel, Thanks for your reply. I tried that and the Built in "Generic Z-Wave Dimmer", and it worked just fine. So I went back to the Botched1 driver, configure/refresh as appropriate. Still no luck. It may be worth noting that a "Set Level" of "0" does nothing as well. Set level of 1 works just fine. can you set level to 0? If not we maybe want to update that into the driver, as it indicates 0 is an acceptable value. (I'd be willing to attempt this change, not that this will solve my issue).

I also tried reimporting the groovy driver file, just because. I am using the Import from URL. I'll go try copy paste too.

I am experiencing the same behavior on two dimmers. Please try out that set level of 0 on yours and let me know --- i'm reading the code and debug output (I am a software developer by day, so I think we can figure this out....). Thanks much.

Get a screenshot of your device state options on the non working device. Your experience sounds alot like mine but I noticed mine when my Google home integration wasn't working. Basically the "switch" state on one of my ge plus dimmers vanished. See the screenshots in this topic. I resolved by excluding and rejoining a few times.