Denon AVR control?

Pretty simple, create a virtual device using the Denon Driver. Within the driver specify the IP Address of your receiver. Make sure you have your receiver setup to accept network control. Good to go.

Works great for Denon 3400. One comment/question; is there a way to get the actual driver code? I would also like to control my second zone. I can modify the code, I just don’t want to reinvent the wheel.

IS that the Heos enabled 3400?

Yes; it is HEOS enabled

Great! I have a 4300h and thought they had killed network control in favor of the Heos app. I will have to check this out.

I just tried the built in DH for Denon AVR. It does work with the Denon 4300h which is a Heos based AVR.

One trick I found: at first, it appeared to not support changing inputs. However, you have to give them a name and then it will work.

Change the input at the AVR, the DH will pick up the change and display it on the top right.

You then use the driver to assign a name to that input. After that using the input number in the DH will work to change the input on the Denon.

So switch to each input, then use the top left box to assign a name, and it will work after that.

1 Like

then after verifying on, off work.
Go to the AVR, or using the remote, switch to all the inputs you would like to use.
These will then be added one after the other to the driver.
Once you have all the inputs you need, they can be named with an alias of your choice by entering the desired alias into the name box, then clicking edit current input name.

aah, so it wasn't the name, it was selecting them locally that fixed it. The name helps and a great feature, I never remember what input number I've assign to what device in the Denon setup menu. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

This was an intentional design decision given the huge number of different possible input names across the entire device line.

1 Like

Any chance there could be support for "Zones" I love having the built in driver but it can't control different zones. From working on a driver for ST I think a very easy way to do this would be to allow a 2nd device to be created which represents zone 2, 3. Then you could control that zone just like the main zone.

1 Like

Doesn't seem to work with Denon-AVR-S740H. I'm not getting any events...occasionally I'm getting a telnet error 404 page not found error in the logs. I'll check to see if any of the ports are closed on my router...but right now looks like it won't work for me.

Denon devices only support one connection, so if any other app is using it, it won't work.

Good thought...but unless my neighbour is using my AVR no other apps.
I confirmed I can bring up the web app by force browsing to my AVR IP address at port: 10080.

Found this article which may lead to more investigation on my part:

It's great being able to control my receiver via HE, thanks all! I'm greedy, any suggestions at controlling it via alexa? That's my ultimate goal. All I can currently do is turn it on/off.

I created a virtual switch called music that I exposed to Alexa. Then I created a custom command in RM that sets the input to my echo dot along with a trigger that will turn on my AVR and set the input to echo when the virtual switch is turned on. Works great!

Update: I downloaded a TCP packet sender and with the documentation on the previous link confirmed that I can turn on/off my receiver via tcp command
PWON\r and PWSTANDBY\r on port 23. So I guess I have one of those receivers that doesn't support telnet. I'll take a look at the driver above and see if I can modify it to support the TCP command set. Might take a bit, I'll have to learn Java as I'm not used to these modern languages. I'll post another update if/when I get something working.

Update: Second cup of coffee I realized I hadn't done a port scan...so I did and confirmed 23 was open. Hmmm. Tried telnet and was able to connect but only if I didn't specify the port. Odd behaviour. Removed the port specification from preferences and it works! Seems like the driver only supports 10 inputs and I have 12. Is there a way to request an update to support 12 or 13 inputs?

Our driver doesn't include any preconfigured inputs, the inputs are dynamically created when a new input is detected. So using the avr remote or the front panel, just select each input of interest, they will be added.

Yep that's what I've been doing...but seems to stop at 10. Here's a visual of what I have:

I'll do some poking around in Telnet to see what's up...not a bit deal. TV and AVR have been taken over by Fam....so will debug later. Happy it is working and interfaced to google home...so far so good. :slight_smile: