Dealing with Zigbee Issues - Gotta love those Crees

Ok, then what you might want to do is try channel 20 to start and then fine tune it from there. I know there isn't much to be done with the microwave/cordless phones (aside from getting rid of the phones).

The one thing I HATE about Zigbee is the 2.4ghz network coexistence.

That's where I came from. Didn't work out so great for me.

Any of the problems with interference isn't going to make your hub run slower though. it will mean your zigbee devices won't respond as quickly (or at all) and sensors might not report correctly. But you wouldn't see an increase in load time for the device listing for example. Interference with devices isn't going to affect the core functions of the hub. Rules editor would run just as quickly for example. So, if your problem is truly that the hub is slowing down and not just devices are not reporting, it cannot be an interference issue.

This also lead to the conclusion that this is not an interference issue. Interference wouldn't go away by rebooting. It would be exactly the same regardless.

If this is not dependent on a zigbee device, zigbee interference would not affect this at all.

You mention in some cases that a z-wave sensor and z-wave light switch are the slow devcies. The Zigbee radio should have no impact on this, even if message for the zigbee are queued up.

1 Like

Well I'm still gonna change my channel.
[EDIT]
And you know that I have a cord that's running perpendicular to the testicular and angular to the dangular. So I think that the rickpins are missing and the shacklebolts are rattling and that's why I'm having these problems, but it is no way related to why my hub is slowing down.

5 Likes

Awh c'mon I had to use google to come up with that response. Lighten up a bit.

2 Likes

You had obviously not read the posts leading up to the channel conversation. I changed the channel and incidentally went to 26, which I found out later was not recommended. Given the known issues with 25 & 26, but I said I was going to leave it to see how it played out. So, I am aware that it really had no issue with channel, but I was invested by changing it the first time. But, sometimes you have to think outside the box Ryan. So, you can imagine that what you piped in with was really not beneficial for me in any way. Given the banter previously, which you obviously hadn't read, you would have seen a few off comments. I am FULLY aware that interference probably isn't the issue. It's like you hopped in like "I need to post on every post and I want to make sure I'm heard", but really, I've noticed that you paid absolutely no attention to my posts until you could try and disseminate things OTHER people input into this forum. I know that you'll not take this well, but I observe you arguing with a lot of people around here. Maybe you should stop and listen and respond instead of waiting to react to everyone's posts. You'd be received in a much better light. AND I DO feel like you could contribute greatly to this forum if you'd just hop of that pedestal you've put yourself on. As I've had several side conversations with others about this interaction, I'm trying to say this as constructively as possible. I think your knowledge is advanced. But if you'd use it humbly Ryan, this conversation wouldn't have happened. And before you say anything, I've never claimed to know it all. And I don't.

11 Likes

So, back on topic... If channel 20 was causing you issues, try 15. The Cree bulbs WANT to be on a ZLL hub (their ZHA implementation is craptastic). With that said, I've seen over the years that having Zigbee devices that are ZLL first, ZHA second, like to be on one of the "normal" ZLL channels (11, 15, 20, and 25). But, if there is any interference occurring, it would most likely be on one of those same channels. So, it's kind of a crap shoot to try to find the sweet spot.

Regarding the slow downs, is it noticeable on the web ui pages or in the performance of the devices themselves? I think you said they basically just drop off the hub completely. If it's primarily the web ui, then interference may not be a huge factor, but if it is the performance of the devices themselves, then I would absolutely start looking at interference causing the issues.

Yes I notice a slowdown in the UI as well. I almost feel that there are several issues here. Maybe contributing. I'm not 100%. I'll move to 15 tonight. I mentioned before That I had added two new Cree's. After that, it got crazy. The other 6 gave no trouble before. Now It's like my zigbee mesh is confused. Also, I'm experiencing slow down on my zigbee stuff. Pushover isn't notifying me of events, or is very after the fact. Zwave triggered by zwave is delayed as well. I reworded some rules to see if maybe i was causing a bottleneck, but I also did it right around the channel change. I know I need to slow down to get this sorted out. So channel change tonight and I'll try 15. I've lost about 6 zigbee devices over night again, so I need to address that.

If you set your Zigbee Status to Disabled in the Zigbee Details page, does the GUI go back to responsive again?

1 Like

Ok, hold on. Before you do that, unplug your hub for 30-45 minutes. Don't change the channel or anything. Just shutdown the hub (safely) and unplug it for a bit. That'll trigger a mesh heal and that might be all it is.

1 Like

OH! I've never tried. I'll try that!

@april.brandt
No need to unplug the hub. Just turn off the zigbee radio for 30-45 minutes. That will trigger a mesh self-heal ....

3 Likes

That too.

1 Like

I did accidentally leave it off for about 30 minutes the other day, but i'll try it. I'm game to get this figured out.

@aaiyar @corerootedxb @jon1 I'll try this when i get home. leaving work now

1 Like

Well to be clear, there are two functions here: one is to quickly turn it off, if Zigbee flooding messages is causing your UI slowdown, it should be pretty quickly evident. The other function is to leave it off for longer to force the mesh to re-build.

noted. I will perform both in slow succession.

Question .. if 3 bulbs and one sensor have dropped off, .. uhm ... should this repair later?

So they dropped off when disabling Zigbee for a moment and then re-enabling it? They may repair by themselves, or you could go in to Zigbee discover on the hub, and then physically reset the devices, which will result in them being re-joined as already joined devices. (device reset procedures vary, some lamps need to be turned off a few times with a 2-3 sec delay)

More importantly, did the UI snap back to responsive with Zigbee disabled? or stay sluggish?

It was a thought that came to mind because they had fallen off yesterday. I'm not home yet.