Dashboard Custom Device Template

Throwing my vote in favor of this as well. This would be super helpful for devices that don't quite fit the typical mold like the nest thermostat.

1 Like

Agree... even for something simple like displaying both Humidity and Temperature on the same tile...

11 Likes

This is exactly the use-case I was thinking of. I've got about 6 devices in my flat which have temperature/humidity and pressure.. I'd love to be able to just display this nicely in one template.

5 Likes

The idea of custom Templates would be great! Currently, I modify the template best suited for my control, but this method is limited and there is typically only one or two unused templates on a dashboard.

1 Like

@s1godfrey Can you clarify what you mean by "I modify the template best suited.."? Thanks.

Sorry, didn't see this post until now. I know that's a redundant statement. However, what I do is use a standard template, then change the icons, colors, and link its control element to a virtual device which provides the interface into WebCore.

Example: I use a "Volume" template linked to a "Virtual audioVolume" device called "Thermostat" and change the Icon to "he_thermometer_4". Then use that virtual device in my WebCore automations to control when I want my fireplace to turn on/off based on the setpoint: 'setpoint = Thermostat's Volume'. The reason I don't just use the default Thermostat template is because it has way too many controls that I don't really need for such a simple process. I only need a 0-100 variable to change to create my setpoint and keep the Dashboard tile down to a 1x1 space but still be usable.

To get more complicated, what I use for the actual fireplace Template is a "Fan" and I use the speeds (off, low, medium, high, on) to show the fireplace stages and it runs through a "FireCycle" set in WebCore which is base on a 10 min trigger interval. For every 10 mins the fireplace is switched on, it changes colors (yellow, orange, red, blue). These colors also post a pushover notification corresponding to the stage (On, Warming, Heating, Cooldown Cycle). I don't want my gas fireplace burning for more than 30 minutes without triggering the house thermostat to increase its heat, so when it hits Cooldown Cycle, it turns the fireplace off, bumps up the house thermostat and rests for 10 minutes, then the process starts over and cycles every 10 minutes.

1 Like

Thank you! This is exactly the information I needed. I also found that some templates had just too much on them (which is why I'd to be able to edit them to remove some of the unneeded controls/data), but your approach is a great workaround!

Thanks for replying!

1 Like

I'm also in need of custom device templates for Dashboards.

1 Like

I upvote this suggestion. Would love to customize a template

Adding a TIC to the topic... How about just starting with being able to Clone a template so we could have SWITCH and SWITCH-1? So we could modify the current settings of one of those but be able to use both. I would like to have a much "dimmer" set of tiles to use on the bedroom display for a "night mode".

1 Like

I am surprised no one has figured out how to install a custom template feature yet. I know there are some alternatives out there that you point attributes to, but a more simple select predefined custom template would be nice.

I'm working on a project where I would like something like that, where you can more easily style a tile how you want, then copy the styling for that tile to another similar tile, as well as storing templates for styling to be used (potentially) across dashboards, at least I would like to get to that stage. Still very early days, but it all still feels possible.

1 Like

Yup, I just ran up against an issue that can't be uncommon. I use a multisensor to report on the position of a lock bar on a sliding door. The way the sensor is oriented it shows the opposite sense from what I want. That is, it shows an alert state "Open" when the bar is locked. There's an android app for hubitat dashboard that easily allows me to modify this but that doesn't work within HE's native dashboard. This seems pretty simple - switching on/off states and alerts.

Thinking a bit more about my own response and particularly your situation with the multi-sensor, if you want to apply logic to flip the way that the sensor reports, I think it would be better to do this through a virtual device or Hub variable and a rule. The reason I suggest this over a feature in a dashboard is that if you want to refer to the reading you want to see appear on the dashboard, you won't be able to, any rules would still need to refer to the opposite reading. If you store the "corrected" reading in a device or variable, then your rules will read more "correctly", if you get my drift....

I do!
I guess the only issue is that I hate having to have so many virtual devices and rules for a simple device. It just starts to feel messy and hard to maintain (kludgy - do people still use that term?).
I think I'd settle for being able to change the color of the two states on the dashboard tile. Right now, it shows red when it's in the locked position. In this particular use case, open/close has no real meaning - but red/green has an immediate value. As far as I can see, dashboard doesn't allow customizing this - or did I miss that?

Yes please, if you write a custom device driver, it would be nice to be able to create a template for it.

Please add this feature. I want to better customize how my data is displayed.

You might be interested in:

1 Like

And eventually....

1 Like