DarkSky and Apple

2 Likes

So mad at this move by Apple, they buy something, put a wall around it and make it exclusive for their platform only. And I just paid my subscription fee and got done with a web site that uses their API.

2 Likes

Looks like the api will last until the end of next year only.
Bummer!

1 Like

For crying out loud - every time I turn around a weather api goes offline

3 Likes

Please stop turning around!
:smiling_imp:

15 Likes

Dang. I use Darksky for my watering schedule ....

I paid for yearly subscription to the android app....I wonder if they'll be issuing refunds.

It appears that API calls will still work till the end of next year. So, you have 20 months to come up with another solution.

Update: After updating the app, it appears that anyone who has an active subscription when it shuts down will get a refund. So, that's good at least. Now on to find another weather service provider. UGH.

2 Likes

This is just one of the reasons I will never use an Apple product.

3 Likes

Well, good thing I am a procrastinator. Now I don't have to go through the bother of setting this up.

Sucks though, I was looking forward to doing some things with the weather app, mainly lux based stuff.

Big thumbs down and a raspberry to Apple.
:tongue: :-1:

2 Likes

I am so bummed. I'm a new API user and long-time paying Android app user.

Does any other service do hyperlocal weather as well?? I live on the west side of the island of Manhattan always love the heads up right before the weather comes over the river from New Jersey, like "10 minutes to walk the dog before a thunderstorm hits!"

2 Likes

I moved over to Today Weather. If you pay for the app you can choose many weather api providers even Dark Sky is listed so until 2021 you can use their backing services. The issue is I don't see the "rain stating in x minutes" messages like Dark Sky provided. Hopefully, the developer will add more capabilities as a new API service provider emerges to fill the loss.

Same here. I have always loathed their walled garden.

1 Like

First APIXU and now Darksky, at least we have 20 months to find a new API. I don't think it's been a year since I had to move off APIXU even because of their imposed API limits.

Yeah! Poor poor DarkSky was forced to sell against their will. Good thing those angles at Amazon and Google never do the exact same thing!
Oh wait....

2 Likes

I used to think that way a long, long time ago. However, I must say that my iPhone and iPad have to be two of the most reliable, useful devices that I have ever purchased. They just work, reliably and consistently.

I am not an Android hater whatsoever. I just never understand why Apple generates such animosity for some people. Apple, Google, Amazon, Samsung, and Microsoft have all bought their fair share of small companies, only to pillage the intellectual property and shut down the original company, leaving customers high and dry. In fact, I wonder what would have become of SmartThings if Samsung had not bought them? Would Hubitat exist? Or would the original founders of SmartThings listened to their customers like they did in the early days? What would Nest look like if Google had not screwed up that company? Perhaps Works with Nest would still exist... Who knows for sure. What I do know, is that big companies buying little companies will happen again, and again. :wink:

In any event, is there a reason Hubitat users don't simply use the built-in OpenWeatherMap device to get their weather data? I have been using Hubitat's OpenWeatherMap device reliably for quite some time. Seems to work fine for me.

6 Likes

No, that wasn't my point. If you are a business owner, sell if you want. No problem. And as a company, buy another company if you can and it makes sense. My issue with Apple is that they buy, then they screw half (or more) of the product's customer base because of their "walled garden" strategy. Up to them. I don't support that because I like open systems more.

1 Like

Yeah. My Netro controller uses it as well.

1 Like

I don’t see how this is any different than google purchasing Nest or Fitbit.

2 Likes

Or when Fitbit bought Pebble, and shut it down... My two sons loved their Pebble watches. :frowning:

3 Likes

Or the Revolv hub, or the Works With Nest program...

3 Likes