Crappy C5->C8 upgrade experience

None of my Aqara motion sensors will stay connected to this wretched hub any more.

Might try dropping the Zigbee power back to 8, to try an force them back to using the repeaters (I assume that is they way connected prior).

Ok, worth a try I guess. Not sure why they wouldn’t just form the best route by now, given it’s been a day or so since I did the migration.

IIRC to get the Aquara to work correctly most had to use a repeater to mask the non-standard pieces. With the C-8 they're probably skipping the repeaters, so by lowering the power we might get them back on the repeaters.

1 Like

If they were skipping the repeaters, and connecting directly, they still should be working? With the new external antennas, I would fully expect many of them to connect directly. Either way they should be staying connected and should work, right? Or I’m missing something here…

From what I've read the repeaters seemed to be the glue that kept them from generating too many errors, and if they are no longer being routed through then their filtering isn't happening.

Ah ok. I’ve tried reducing the hub power. Didn’t work. None of the sensors are staying connected any more :pensive:. We are not enjoying walking around a dark house. Given I’m about to do a major refurb here, I think it’s time to throw the current config out of the window and into the skip.

Might try inducing a device panic by unplugging the hub for 10 or so minutes to see if it forces a renegotiation of routes.

I was unable to use Aqara contact sensors reliably on my C-7 until I added some SonOff USB dongle repeaters for them, and also had some Ikea but they didn't end up doing much repeating. I only have a few Aqara on my C-8 as they are really still in "test" mode to see if they will stay reliably.

On the new C-8, I'm running at power level 16, and monitoring my entire Zigbee network using the Device Activity Check app to keep tabs on stuff. I haven't noticed the few Aqara I do have on the C-8 dropping off, and was able to pair two new ones (sitting on the table next to me as part of my Aqara test) a couple days ago on the C-8 and they are still connected, along w/the four or five Aqara contact sensors I have had on my mesh for several weeks.

3 Likes

I’m using several IKEA repeaters. At any power level on the Zigbee radio I’ve been unable to keep the motion sensors connected. They were mostly fine on the C5 before. Strange.

1 Like

My guess is that your motion sensors are still connecting directly to the hub, unfortunately. You can confirm if your Ikea repeaters are involved by going to the address below:

http://your-hub-ip/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

1 Like

Guess you could try removing the zigbee antenna to get even closer to the C5/C7 experience.

IIRC, HE staff said the external antennas are the only antennas on the C-8, so removing them would result in using a hub w/out any antenna. Did I misunderstand that? @bobbyD, can you confirm?

Yeah, thanks guys. I’m seriously thinking to bin all these battery motion sensors and move exclusively to powered microwave ones. I have one on test and it’s been working fine with the C8. The only issue is it’s definitely slower to respond that the Xiaomi’s used to be.

1 Like

I have to admit, I hate-hate-hate the battery dance. I am pinged too frequently about changing them, it's my #1 "yuck" factor on my smart home. What powered microwave sensor are you testing? Trading a little speed for never changing a battery again...very possible.

2 Likes

THB 3,639.54 | Tuya Smart Motion Sensor Zigbee WiFi Human Presence Sensor Fall Detection APP Alarm mmWave Radar Smart Linkage Light Detector
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrBTfAI

It’s not perfect. A bit slow. And I’m not getting anything like the stated ~9 meter range. But it’s not bad. And not having to worry about batteries is definitely a plus.

I’m thinking to stick a whole load of these in the ceilings. They are very unobtrusive which is nice from an aesthetic view. I never know where to put the normal battery motion sensors without them looking ugly balanced on shelves or stuck in the corners of rooms.

2 Likes

Same here, that's why I mostly purchase devices that use AA or AAA batteries and I buy battery eliminators for them and plug them in. The exception is door sensors that can't easily route power cords to. My indoor and outdoor motion sensors are plugged in, as well as some multi sensors.

1 Like

Something like that would work for me since I have access to an attic over most of the house.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.