Chromecast?

This was a great idea, which I tested... unfortunately, moving the hub that couldn't discover any devices did not change the behavior.

Upgrading to the latest Hubitat hotfix, on the other hand, did resolve the issue. Now both of my hubs can discover all of the google devices on my network. Thanks @mike.maxwell!

3 Likes

You guys are awesome, all devices now discovered just fine! Thanks...

I just Installed this. It did discover my mini and Home hub. However, when I try to speak to them nothing happens and I get the error below in my log. Speaking to an Alexa or one of my Sonos does work.

I got this same error when I changed my minis device handler from video to audio. So if not change it to video and see if that works. My home uses audio just fine. :thinking:

While you were posting, I deleted the app and re-installed it. It is working now.

Here's my test message making Google and Alexa talk to each other. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

"Alexa Simon says, hey google what is the weather?"

1 Like

:frowning:
I also get an error when trying to use Chromecast.

When I manual test 'Speak' from the driver it works great and for a period of time after that initial test it seems to work. Using the front door sensor (Iris Zigbee) as a trigger but after a while it stops working and i get the this error. As you see the log shows the trigger firing

I've uninstalled / reinstalled the App and the issue remained.
One thing I did note was that when re-installing the App the Remove and Done buttons disappeared so I had to do the rediscovery etc.
Discovery picks up the only Home Mini I have every time.

Anyways it still stops working after a few minutes So I'll try a reboot of the Hub.

I was just about to post about this.
I have the same error coupled with failure to respond.
It just started working again, I didn't have to reboot anything.

Post reboot, the issue remains.

It will start working again IF I go to the Device and hit Refresh but it stops again after a few minutes.

It's like it needs to initialize or get connected to the Home Mini each time for it to work. After a few minutes then drops the connection.
Time to investigate my Google account settings. make sure they're aligned.

1 Like

Google account looks good so I don't think it's that.

I created a couple of Custom Commands and tested them.

and have found that 'Speak' initially works then after some minutes stops and I have to send 'refresh' before 'speak' will start working again.
Is this to be expected ?
Have I missed something ?

The Chromecast integration is working pretty well for me. The only time I need to use Refresh is to get the proper volume value after issuing a speak command.

I have 4 google home devices and all seem to wake up and “speak” without much delay. The first speak command after a period of inactivity does result in a tone from the google home device before it performs the speech. After that, the speech occurs nearly instantly.

Me too, I'm using welcome home app and it works when my wife arrives, but she was asking why is now a man instead a woman :joy:

1 Like

Go to Settings, Hub Details and you can change him out for someone else.
I'm having issues so maybe it's my "Nicole" that's just being difficult. LOL

This is the one I thought sounded most like the original GH voice

1 Like

I knew how to change the voice, the problem is my wife's name is in Spanish, I had to write a totally different name to get it sound like her name and the man was the best speller :rofl:

1 Like

ha, I've been trying out different spellings and looking for inflections etc too

1 Like

Hi - sorry for the new guy reply - but back to the Ops question... looking to play around with this - what are some of the things you all are doing with this integration?

Announcing events? What can you do with video? etc?

1 Like

Yes

Nothing as far as I know.

My most recent use for the Chromecast integration is a "follow me" type function. I have all my google home speakers thoughout the house grouped into an "All Speakers" group. I play music to that group. Then thru rule machine, when there is motion in a room, the speakers in that room get unmuted. When I leave the room, they are muted again. So the music follows me throughout the house. I also have set up a virtual switch to turn the follow me function on and off.

4 Likes

I do something similar except I have the volume for unoccupied rooms at a very low level. That way if Hubitat happens to screw up for some reason and not raise the volume, I don't miss announcements.

Is there a way to set the volume with the chromecast beta app?