Chromecast?

Yes, you have to create a custom command. I have posted a out it a couple of times now. I suggest a quick search. I'd type it out again but I'm on my phone and dont think my thumbs could handle it. :grin:

1 Like

No worries I'll find it thanks!

Anyone know what the "Stop after TTS is complete" option does?

It issues a STOP to the device so that it is freed up for other activities/actions.

It is useful on Google Home Hub devices (or any other devices with display) so that they go back to the screensaver / ambient display. Maybe other uses, but that is the one I use it for.

3 Likes

For me it cuts my messages off, but it should do what @JasonJoelOld says.
I just run actions of a delayed rule after my TTS rule.

1 Like

Does the same for me. I have an "Action" in rule machine with a delay that I run from any rule executing a TTS announcement. It's not perfect but it gets it back to the main screen a lot quicker.

1 Like

Can I use Chromecast in Rule Machine? For instance, if Chromecast is playing turn on the fan and when Chromecast stops turn off the fan?

I don't believe you can. It's not available as a condition. You can only issue commands to it as far as I'm aware.

You could try WATO?

1 Like

I don't believe the native Chromecast integration is quite that smart yet.

Yeah it doesn’t seem to keep a status. What is the point of it then?

Of the Chromecast Integration? TTS messages.

It's in beta still so suggest away to the staff and it could be added.

So, when it comes to that more difficult API and TTS message stuff, it's just not in the cards for me. So, that said, can one of you guys do me a solid, and just do all that development stuff for me to make it work? Make sure they're are only one, maximum two buttons for sending commands to the TV, whilst driving through DC Beltway rush hour.

Now, if may SOUND like I'm lazy, but rest assured, I'm not. And that should be good enough for us to get past that bump in the road. Hey thanks, wish I could write more, but listen, those dancing kittens can't very well watch themselves dance on YouTube, right?.

Good talk, and make sure to take some stock, in the fact that I don't live across the street or around the block!!

Question about this Beta feature.

It seems that if I'm playing something, then setting the volume via a custom command works just fine. But it also seems after some time has passed (a few minutes it seems) HE somehow drops it's connection with the speaker...if I issue a "setVolume" command when I haven't spoken anything...it doesn't work. If I simply play a test message, and THEN set the volume within a few minutes after, it works.

Thoughts? Can anyone else confirm this?

ALL GHs have static IPs, I have mini's speakers and hubs

I see the same behavior. It drops connection in about 5 mins for me.

This is Chromecast. Nothing to do with HE. Other software Will exhibit the exact same behavior. It’s Chromecast it’s not the Software

Cast-web-api doesn't have this problem. I can issue setLevel commands at any time to change the volume and they always work. I even have a built in refresh to the driver so that it makes sure that HE reflects the new volume.

Does it Disconnect after five minutes of inactivity?

No...because you aren't connected directly to the device, you're connected to the API so it doesn't disconnect. And the API pretends to be a google home device, so it doesn't have to maintain connection to the other gh devices.

I can issue a setLevel command hours after the last announcement and it works perfectly. I have it automatically turn up the volume on the one in my bathroom when the fan turns on so i can hear it in the shower. The only thing that i've had to do is implement a refresh 2s after the set level. Otherwise the level in HE doesn't always match the speaker right away.

1 Like