Chromecast delay - Not speaking first part of message

I'm also seeing this issue as of a few days ago. I use two first generation hubs to announce when the washer, dryer and dishwasher cycles are finished. I'm doing this with webCoRE pistons. As a workaround, I've just added a few seconds of gibberish before the text that I actually want announced.

Can someone humor me here. Put an ! in front of your "1 2 3 4 5 6" or whatever phrase you are using to test. Does it eliminate the cut off? When I do this "! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9" it works as intended..ish.

1 Like

I just tried this and HOLY COW it works! lol

What made you think of that??

That works because it reads it as "exclamation mark"... which is enough filler to cover the delay. If you listen closely you can hear the "...ark" before the intended text starts.

NO idea...I just started going through characters trying to see if anything produced a pause...something should!!!

I thought that also. But put two of them or even one after the 9 and it will not speak it. so "! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 !" and it will not say the last exclamation mark. Which also doesn't make sense. FYI this was the "...ish" part of my works as intended. lol

1 Like

And does the same text sound acceptable on the minis?

Nope :frowning_face: Says, "Exclamation Point Test Test"

If you do the same thing on a Mini it reads it as "exclamation mark", so I think it's doing the same with the Hub but it's cutting off the beginning.

1 Like

Yeah I don't have a mini....and I understand what it's doing...but why won't it speak "exclamation mark" at the end of the sentence? Very odd.

The same reason it doesn't read a period or a question mark... it sees it as punctuation.

1 Like

Ok...so if you put a period as the first thing on a mini does it say "period"?

It says "dot". If you put a ? it says "question mark".

2 Likes

I figured out why it spoke. It's a pretty long message that starts with "good morning". When I looked at the rule, I realized that "good morning" was clipped from the announcement. There is definitely something different between the gen1 and gen2 nest hubs.

Simple solution (for now)...start every announcement with "Here we go..." or "Howdy there..." or "I feel good..." (w/thanks to James Brown).

:wink:

1 Like

For those using 'Follow Me', I added a work around to the cut off problem until HE can fix the Fuschia OS issue. Please see that thread for more info.

2 Likes

Thread/bug noted.

4 Likes

SUGGESTION

In the Chromecast audio driver there is a switch to use in case the beginning of the message is being cut off. The delay the switch is preset for isn't quite long enough for this issues but, what if a switch was added to the video driver (or both) that allows the user to select the amount of delay they need. It's a workaround but gives some flexibility if Google makes more changes later.

1 Like

Also I've noticed mine don't respond to volume commands unless I send a speak 1st, then volume works.
Using speak and volume dosnt change it either

1 Like

From HE support...

Thank you for reaching out to us. The issue you reported has been referred to our engineering team and we will reach out to you if additional details about this incident are needed.

I'd never heard of this app until today. Would this also work with webCoRE or would I need to use RM?