Chromecast delay - Not speaking first part of message

The same reason it doesn't read a period or a question mark... it sees it as punctuation.

1 Like

Ok...so if you put a period as the first thing on a mini does it say "period"?

It says "dot". If you put a ? it says "question mark".

2 Likes

I figured out why it spoke. It's a pretty long message that starts with "good morning". When I looked at the rule, I realized that "good morning" was clipped from the announcement. There is definitely something different between the gen1 and gen2 nest hubs.

Simple solution (for now)...start every announcement with "Here we go..." or "Howdy there..." or "I feel good..." (w/thanks to James Brown).

:wink:

1 Like

For those using 'Follow Me', I added a work around to the cut off problem until HE can fix the Fuschia OS issue. Please see that thread for more info.

2 Likes

Thread/bug noted.

4 Likes

SUGGESTION

In the Chromecast audio driver there is a switch to use in case the beginning of the message is being cut off. The delay the switch is preset for isn't quite long enough for this issues but, what if a switch was added to the video driver (or both) that allows the user to select the amount of delay they need. It's a workaround but gives some flexibility if Google makes more changes later.

1 Like

Also I've noticed mine don't respond to volume commands unless I send a speak 1st, then volume works.
Using speak and volume dosnt change it either

1 Like

From HE support...

Thank you for reaching out to us. The issue you reported has been referred to our engineering team and we will reach out to you if additional details about this incident are needed.

I'd never heard of this app until today. Would this also work with webCoRE or would I need to use RM?

This works with any app then sends a notification. You send the speech to Follow Me and then FM distributes the speech to the speakers based on how you set it up. Be sure to read the 1st post of Follow Me to see what it does.

This rule seems to work, adding a 3 second delay allows the speak command to connect

1 Like

I discovered something tonight that I have never been able to do before. I can change the volume of minis, gen 1 hub & gen 2 hub without "grabbing" the device (aka media source=Hubitat by making it speak before changing the volume). Is this a new development or did I just miss it?

this is what i noticed, no commands seem to work untill you send the speak command and its connected (source hubitat), if you click stop it disconnects and you cant set anything.

1 Like

That's the way it worked for me too, until last night. I can now set the volume on any device at will. No speak command required.

even if you click 'stop' first? this on mini's or displays?

Correct. I just checked again before responding to you. I no longer have to have the mediaSource be Hubitat to issue any commands to the devices. I'm assuming this is a Google side change but I could be wrong. And yes, on both minis and hubs.

CORRECTION:. IT'S NOT WORKING ON THE MINIS.

This change only seems to be affecting the hubs. I thought I checked the minis last night but I must not have. It was late.

There's a delay option for ChromeCast video driver now in 2.3.0.120.
It's a sort of a band-aid, but it works for now, and it was quick to implement.

4 Likes