Choosing a Zigbee repeater

I see the IKEA Tradfri repeater mentioned a few times in this thread.

Was just perusing the IKEA Canada site and noticed the Tradfri Repeaaters are listed as "Now or Never"
New model coming, or going away for good?

No idea (also CDN)

I see the note on the website but if I browse using the iOS app there is no note.

My system seems to be working. Should I consider mapping it?

I ordered some the other day from the Aus site and noticed the image on the web looked a little different to the ones I already own, which have a small power plug with a USB port, which then has the actual repeater plugged into it.

The design for the one's I own allows the repeater to be plugged into any USB A port, not just a power socket.

The newer one appeared to not show that type of design...

So maybe it is more a newer model coming out...

3 Likes

You may also wish to consider the Tuya usb key.
If you happen to have a USB charger with an open slot, these things work well and are inexpensive.
Available from your favourite Chinese web site....

2 Likes

In case anyone was wondering, the IKEA repeater came through in two separate pieces like my old one's, so can still plug the actual repeater into a USB port somewhere if I want to.

3 Likes

Nice! As @aaiyar mentioned in a post somewhere the ikea ones only have a 6 device limit. If you hook them up to zigbee2mqtt temporarily and use the ikea experimental drivers OTA setting (it's in the settings section of the web ui) then you can update them to support 9 devices (credit of course to @aaiyar!)

I put in an order for a couple of the Tuya ones that @aaiyar uses a few days ago, they're about the same price but with no charger. Plus a few more of the Bangood single 18650 battery packs/UPS to power them. Those battery units really have poor micro USB solder joints so will be reinforcing with epoxy this time round.

3 Likes

Can I have multiple Zigbee repeaters from different companies?
I have Tradfri Zigbee Signal Repeater from Ikea and I would like to order Tuya Zigbee Signal Repeater to strengthen the zigbee network.

Yes, that's not an issue, as long as you're not trying to use Xiaomi/Aqara Zigbee devices. Those require specific repeaters that are known to not cause the Xiaomi/Aqara to fall off the network. Search the community if you plant to use Xiaomi/Aqara devices to ensure you use compatible repeater devices.

6 Likes

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I just added the Centralite zigbee smart plug a couple of weeks ago to work with my Aquaria temperature/humidity sensors. So far I'm having good luck with it as a repeater.

I understand that I am resurrecting an old thread here ... but can anyone shed some light on whether the Eero WiFi 6 (which has a Zigbee Hub and 2 repeaters) repeaters are helping build my Hubitat ZigBee mesh ... or whether they just operate as a "stand-alone" Eero ZigBee mesh.

My current ZigBee handheld remote controllers are paired with the Hubitat hub. Do I need to add other repeaters to extend the range or is Eero already extending the range?

No, the Eero is not extending the Hubitat Hub's Zigbee network. The Eero devices can create their own Zigbee mesh, separate from the Hubitat mesh. This is similar to how certain Amazon Echo devices have their own Zigbee controllers.

3 Likes

Great! So I have Zigbee devices all over the place ... they are just not helping!!! :joy:

I'll and another Zigbee repeater (or three) and pair them with the Hubitat.

Worse, they may be interfering. By using the same zigbee channel as your Hubitat zigbee network.

2 Likes

Agreed ... Can I shut them off ... I don't see anything in the settings for the Eero. There is nothing paired to it.

If you didn't enable it thru the Alexa app, it won't be interfering. Its disabled by default. You control/setup the Eero zigbee portion thru the Alexa app.

4 Likes

Excellent. Thanks for the response. It is amazing how I can get responses to Eero questions faster from Hubitat people than I can from the Eero people.

Sounds like my network is fine! :grinning:

3 Likes

If you have a C8 and you want to add more Zigbee repeaters, I (and others) have found the SonOff USB Dongle Plus to be a very strong/active repeaters on the C8. Not as much on the C7. It does take a little work (you have to flash a different FW on them) but once set up they are really active repeaters for the C8.

Other Zigbee repeaters could include Third Reality plugs, Centralite Plugs, the tiny Tuya USB Zigbee repeaters, & Innr 224 plugs.

3 Likes

Well you read my mind. That's exactly where I was going ... to do further research on repeaters. Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently running a C7. My Zigbee remote is 40m away ... but still seems to communicate well. So for now, I'll see how it goes.

As usual the Hubitat user group overdelivers. :clap:

1 Like