Cheap zigbee motion sensor

I have a few Samsung and Xiaomi motion sensors at home.
Now I need 2 more and I'd like to ask, which of the following 2 is better with Hubitat ?
(I already use the Aqara/Xiaomi one and sometimes it needs a reset, but still usable)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832835774367.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.17.6bbe4b8exGFecu&algo_pvid=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff&algo_exp_id=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff-8&pdp_npi=3%40dis!TRY!344.19!261.55!!!!!%40214527fd16829684564578646d07b7!10000000192073262!sea!TR!856905781&curPageLogUid=syqXjPwP2Cj4&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803001084456.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.3.6bbe4b8exGFecu&algo_pvid=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff&algo_exp_id=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff-1&pdp_npi=3%40dis!TRY!314.44!157.22!!!!!%40214527fd16829684564578646d07b7!12000027003303678!sea!TR!856905781&curPageLogUid=Iyv9ArbHg4Uv&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Aqara is definitely much better in my opinion, but it has the well known problems with staying connected to any non-Aqara hub. You need to pair it to the hub via a compatible and always-on Zigbee repeating device.

Tuya PIR sensors are of a lower built quality and a bit less sensitive than the Aqara motion sensors, but they stay connected to any hub without problems.

2 Likes

I have a few of the Tuya sensors. I've had them for a few months and so far no problems. I like the small size.

1 Like

thank you.

As I wrote in OP I have experience with Aqara but not Tuya.
From what you wrote, I understand that Tuya is better than Aqara for stable connection.

You need to pair it to the hub via a compatible and always-on Zigbee repeating device.

What do you mean by that ?
For example, I have Aqara sensors in my bedroom and also 2 zigbee power outlets from Samsung. They must be acting as a repeating device. But how can I force Aqara sensors to connect over the Samsung outlets ?

Also, I have 2 spare Samsung sensors but I don't want to use them because they are the model with CR2470 batteries and since I can't find 2470, I use them with CR2450 and these deplete batteries too quickly.
How is battery performance of Tuya sensor ? What type of battery it uses and at what period do we have to replace batteries ?

@kkossev ?

I have a tuya that gets triggered 5 or 6 times a day that was installed 3 months ago. The CR2032 battery is still 100 percent.

1 Like

Indeed, they are, that why I'm waiting for next gen of Aqara various sensors designed for Matter/Thread, having hope, that this time there will no problems with compatibility.

They are not exactly cheap, but you may find used at eBay: the Philips Hue sensors are a great choice at intermediary price.

Hi. Just be very careful with your repeaters and Aqara devices. Linked below is my pain that I experienced from a Samsung outlet. There is a link within specifically around these devices and what you need to be aware of. They work great when within a supporting mesh, but don't play nicely with others :stuck_out_tongue:

Constant loss of connectivity to Xiaomi devices - :bellhop_bell: Get Help - Hubitat

@AlanB

I'm sorry but I really could not understand.
How can I force a zigbee device (Aqara motion sensor) to connect through a specific zigbee repeater (samsung power outlet) ?

@ilkeraktuna see one method here :

:exclamation: this may be the reason for your problems :exclamation:

Read carefully this classic write-up :

2 Likes

Hi. I don't believe it is possible to force a connection. Up to the devices and the mesh. I didn't have any problems with my Aqara devices connecting directly to HE (C7 model) and ran stable for ages (until I introduced a Samsung outlet). You could always just try and see if the system is stable. If not and you need an outlet, IKEA are cheap and work well with Aqara.
What I was getting at in my post and @kkossev reinforced, was that having a Samsung outlet on your mesh will most likely cause you a lot of problems so avoid that with Aqara.
I ended up buying another hub and now have 2, with 1 dedicated to Aqara and compatible repeaters and the other where I connect all my non-Aqara devices (like my Samsung outlets).

1 Like

interesting.
so you say that if I remove Samsung zigbee outlets , I will have a more stable connection with Aqara devices.
I just have 2 of these power outlets, and I can easily replace them with Tuya ones.
(I can't find IKEA zigbee devices where I live)

But then I understand that I should not increase the number of Aqara devices. Since they have issues with several other devices, we can't call the "other" devices "problematic". Aqara is the one which has problems...

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.