Change z-wave from s2 to No security < Without losing apps?

So I have a few light switches that when I included them I used s2 security.
Not sure why I did .. Just did .. I would like to re-install them with no security.
But do no want to lose my apps links etc. for that device.

I think I read somewhere you can make a V-Device and first swap it out with that.
Then exclude the s2 device .. then re-add it with no security .. then swap it back.

@jtp10181 does this sound right ?
I have never done a exclude of a z-wave device. what is the correct way of doing this ?
without creating a ghost or ? thanks!

Honestly I would just leave them if not causing any trouble. But you can do it two different ways.

1. Create virtual device, swap to that, exclude, include, swap from virtual to new device. Remove virtual.

2. Rename the DNI on the device (add _OLD to it), exclude, include, swap from old device to new. Remove old device.

Renaming the DNI makes sure the old device entry does not get deleted when you exclude the node so you can just do the one swap. You have to do the exclusion from the z-wave details page if you go this route.

The other way to exclude if you use a virtual device to swap to first, is to click remove on the device page. It will start exclusion at the second dialog box, then you put the device into exclusion mode. It will remove the node and device once excluded.

3 Likes

There's no reason to stop using S2 security. S0 uses three times the traffic of no security, but not S2.

2 Likes

Should I factory default the device ? or just exclude it ?
Its a enbrighten switch and it says ..

To remove and reset the device

1. Follow the instructions for your Z-Wave certified controller to remove a device from the
    Z-Wave network.
  2. Once the controller is ready to remove your device, press up and release the toggle.

To return your switch to factory defaults
Quickly press ON (up) button three times, then immediately press the OFF (down) button
three times.

Seems easiest way yes ? ?

The other way to exclude if you use a virtual device to swap to first, is to click remove on the device page. It will start exclusion at the second dialog box, then you put the device into exclusion mode. It will remove the node and device once excluded.

Yes the double swap via virtual device is probably easier (less technical).

I would just do the exclusion, do not factory reset, that is how you can make a ghost on accident.
After you exclude confirm the device and node was removed from z-wave details before you try to include it back.

1 Like

Ok .. trying now will let you know LOL Wish me luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree, at this point I don't think there's any evidence that using S2 on the newer HE platform versions\Z-Wave firmware versions is a problem. I think the old if it ain't broke applies here.

:person_shrugging: People do what they want. My philosophy is if someone asks a question I can give my thoughts on it, but will still answer the question. If I say its a bad idea and they do it anyway what can you do... Its not like I am giving people instructions on how to commit a crime.

2 Likes

Yep my message was a no way directed towards you, and if someone's going to do this it certainly best to do it the right ways, the way you laid it out.

My comments are focused the folks who may peruse this topic and think oh I need to do that too. Just want to make sure it's clear you don't need to do that. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

THANKS GUYS .. IT WORKED :slight_smile:
I was always way freaked out doing anything with z-wave seeing all the problems people have.
I guess I wanted to try because of the shitty z-wave network i have hoping this will help.
Also just to see if I could do it without messing up my system lol

I also saw this that Stated this ..

There are several advantages of joining Z-Wave devices in non-secure mode:

• respond faster
  • have better range
  • don't require special repeaters
1 Like

That post of BobbyD's is 5.5 years old, and is (IMHO) no longer applicable in today's world of 700/800 z-wave devices and hubs.

2 Likes

Well fine be that way .. I still wanted to try it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You bet - nothing wrong with experimenting! But with a C7 or C8+ hub, there's nothing to fear about S2 (assuming decent mesh etc).

1 Like

Well that's kinda of the problem for me .. I only have 6 z-wave devices.

Well .. that's weird only : one of the three devices I tryed to convert to s0 worked.
two of them re-added as s2 automatically. and one of the org. s2 devices that i didnt change
is now a s0 device WTF LOL

Some would argue that reliability is better with S2.

1 Like

Why on God's green earth would you want to use S0 security? Either use S2 or no security at all. S0 uses three times the amount of network traffic as no security.

Unless you are confusing S0 with no security?

Do you still have them in Smart Start? They will rejoin by themselves if you do.

1 Like

Garage floods changed like i wanted .. but now the front door contact is s0 ! lol
[Z-WAVE - GARAGE SCONCES]
[Z-WAVE - BACKYARD]
Re-added them selfs as s2 automatically. I didnt pick it.

Ummm .. No Idea .. but all three are the same switch ..
how do i tell ?

Yes NO security sorry ..

1 Like