Cast-web porting help - SOLVED

I have mine to automatically turn the volume up or down depending on the status of the room. Similar to @cobra's Speaker Central app, instead of using a speaker based on the status of the room, I am turning the volume of the speakers up and down. I prefer to use the broadcast function since I routinely use my GH speakers to listen to music or podcasts, especially in the kitchen or the bathroom. Don't like having to restart the media after receiving an announcement from Hubitat. But I also don't like having all the speakers at a high volume when nobody's in the room. Sometimes I want to override that. Rather than have to go into the Google Home app, i can do that right from a HE dashboard or whatnot.

That's totally valid and the way it should be.
The only announcements I have typically result in everybody stopping what they're doing because it's the kids bedtime or I'm home from work and we can all eat dinner. (Although they're usually too impatient to wait now. )

LOL. Yeah, in a big household I can see that. I live alone and work from home (when not on the road, which is almost 90% of the time). So I use it to announce a lot. No one else to "bug". :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It's it possible that I'm the only person on earth having the Google speaker group volume issue I'm having? It would seem so from my searches, but I just can't believe it.
I'm trying to get some automations to speak, and I was pulling my hair out about having zero control over the volume, when I realized that the volume control of my speaker groups had become totally unusable. 7 devices in a group, turn up the volume, it only adjusts one of them. Turn it up to 100, one speaker goes to 100, the rest don't budge. All can be adjusted on their own, all cast fine, but volume control is completely broken.
Anyone else?
Here's my post on the Google support forum about it, and it's total crickets.
This is completely independent of any Hubitat out cast-web implementation, btw. Using my Google home app to control volume while casting Spotify... Same behavior.
But it makes my announcements in my automations completely useless. :frowning:

19 posts were split to a new topic: Cast-web argument

Please keep the conversation on point and don't forget, criticize ideas, not people .

Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

https://community.hubitat.com/faq#agreeable

I had trouble with stop and volume control working from Cast Web, but the speech works fine. I have both the Chromecast Integration (beta) and CW installed. No problems. I use the Chromecast Integration for volume and stop casting via custom actions, and CW for the TTS messages in a single rule. Solves the problem.

1 Like

Which driver are you using for Cast-Web? I was having problems with the old version. The new version fully supports volume/level and stop.

Now that I've switched to Home Assistant... I still have issues with volume and stop and they've been doing Cast forever... There's no hope! :wink:

I thought I had received the latest from you via a separate post, but maybe I’m still using the old stuff. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll download from your most recent link and see if the situation is different for me now.

If I look in events in the driver section, it says 1.2.1

Is that the right place to check the version? I didn’t notice an indication of version number when I looked at the driver code, but I’m on my phone at the moment, so maybe I’m just not seeing it.

I have a newer version here: GitHub - ryancasler/cast-web-api-Hubitat: The app and drivers to support Cast-Web-API for the Hubitat Elevation Hub

It doesn't work all that well with Speaker Groups though. But everything else seems to be working. You also don't need to implement any type of timed "keep-alive", this version auto-refreshes every 5 minutes.

1 Like

@Ryan780 Is there a chance you can share this again as the link doesn't work anymore ? :question::smiley:

As I said, these drivers are no longer available for a reason. I am no longer supporting them.

I had completely missed that. Just googled and came to this thread. :grimacing:

I apologize if misunderstood.

I downloaded and installed the drivers and the app from here. I was able to see my Google devices and add them as child devices.

However, I couldn't get to hear anything when running the "speak" or "play" commands. Nothing even after implementing the fix to line 418 of the device handler.

Am I doing something wrong or is this integration doesn't work anymore?

Thanks!

Nope, this doesn't work on Hubitat. I'm guessing the original developer from ST didn't appreciate having his work ported over.