Cast-web argument

When you set the volume for a group, it is affected by the way you have the group set up. If one of the devices in the group is already at 100%, it can't set that volume any higher so it doesn't change any of them. I would recommend only setting volume for individual speakers. I now only have one speaker group synced to Hubitat anyway.

No, this is not about how I have my groups set up, I promise. I'm very, very, very well used to how group volume works with these things. And this isn't it. It's broken. Not user error.
I replaced my Sonos ecosystem with 8 different speaker groups and use them daily for a very long time now. This isn't ignorance about how group volume works.
I can post a video of that is still in question.

Uhm....this isn't Sonos. This is Google Home.

Try something for me. All of this should be done in the Google Home app on your phone. Create a group with 2 speakers. Go into one of the individual speakers and set the volume to 100% (actually 99% since they don't got to 100%). No go into the group and try to change the volume for the group. It won't change. Trust me...I just confirmed that this is still how it works in my own setup.

So, if Google Home can't do it, Hubitat can't do it. Why would you assume that Google Home would work the same as Sonos? I agree, this isn't how it should work. But that's a Google Home problem. Not a Hubitat problem. The solution is to control the individual speakers instead of the group. It's very easy to do since you can just setLevel for all of them at the same time in the same command.

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS SONOS.
You are so argumentative sometimes for no apparent reason.
I said I REPLACED MY SONOS SPEAKERS with Google home speakers LONG AGO, and that I'm very very used to the way Google home adjusts speaker groups. And that is very clear.
I'll do your test but right now I'm uploading a video that does exactly what I'm talking about.

1 Like

I'm being argumentative? Dude, you're claiming something that is completely wrong. That is not how group volume works in the google home architecture. When you try to raise the volume on the group, the slider will jump back to the previous setting and you'll get the max volume tone on the one speaker and nothing will happen on the other. I just did this. I'm not the one arguing here.

Also: for the record, Google speaker groups HAVE worked pretty much exactly the same way as Sonos groups. Always.

I don't have Sonos so I can't speak to how volume works on Sonos. But i do have several different google home devices and I know that is how group volume works on those. Like is said, it doesn't matter what sonos does. It isn't even relevant so why even bring it up?

Yup, I know.

Did you do the test that I suggested?

Broken

EXACTLY!!!!! IN THE GOOGLE HOME APP!!!!! What does that have to do with Hubitat?!!? Hubitat can't be smarter than Google Home is! That was my point from the very beginning. There isn't a bug in the Cast-Web-API. There's a problem with Google Home!!!!

Literally what I said in my first post.
I literally said those words.
Are you done?

And I told you how to get around that...by controlling the volume of each speaker individually. But you didn't want to listen to that. Broadcasts are not useless just because you can't set the volume of a group. Why would you say that?
In RM it's the difference between one device selected for the command and 7. There is still only one command in your rule. You can even capture and restore the levels if you want all the speakers to go back to their original volume. Can't do that if you're doing it in a group.

1 Like

It's useless because it was set up and worked, and now it doesn't. But you have provided a workaround, and I appreciate that and will rework my rules at some point if this bug with Google home isn't resolved
But this is an issue that affects all of us who use, and have been using groups for a long time. Simple. I was just seeing if anyone else has run into this and had seen a solution...
The rest of this has been pretty pointless.

That is the way group volume has always worked on Google home. So, I don't know what you're talking about. That's why I gave up trying to use them like that a long time ago. There has been no change to this that I am aware of. It's always been broken.

Simply not true. Good night though.