Can't pair any Zigbee devices on C-8

Overall silence on this issue is not helping things at all. I can understand issues and taking time working through them but, silence for this long is making things worse from where I sit.

Indeed. I'm coming here from Home Assistant and unless things improve soon, it's looking like I will be returning my C8 and scurrying back to HA. Like you say the 'silence' is the most frustrating thing. I accept there will be issues along-the-way, but little/no communication doesn't boost the confidence.

1 Like

Hubitat @support_team has been very busy w/multiple FW updates for the C8 and helping customers who are experiencing related issues. I'm sure they will be able to help soon.

@NotBernard65 @mpoole32 - Have either of you tried moving the devices close to the hub to see if that makes any difference during pairing attempts? Do you see any messages when attempting a pairing? Or just the timer counting down?

How about just doing a standard zigbee pairing (don't use the by brand/model method)

Just roll the firmware back to when you first received the hub. You should be able to pair devices then.

My issues go way beyond just a device not pairing.
Sengled bulbs are still an issue. Sensors that worked on C3 and C5 don't work.

All as I wrote before made worse by no communication.

The forum is full of posts made by those dealing with these issues.

Doing things like moving a device closer to the hub to see if it might possibly pair is shooting in the dark which is also what my wife experiences when she walks in a room and those sengled bulbs don't come on. It's a coin toss at this point if it's the bulb or the sensor that's misbehaving.

I've had the C8 now for a month and that for me under these circumstances is where my patience starts to run out.

1 Like

Some success, mainly through resilience, not skill or technique. I never got my zigbee plugs to pair (despite them being on the compatible list), but have managed to pair a different brand now (which are NOT on the compatible list) using a generic driver. Didn't get a sonoff motion detector to work, or one from another brand (same as the plugs that worked!). Have today got some sonoff door sensors to work. Still feels very unstable and I'm not filled with confidence that any given device will work!

2 Likes

I'm not sure what version it actually shipped with (since I did an immediate upgrade on installation), however I did subseqently upgrade it again, so the issue I have has unfortunatly persisted over two versions.

1 Like

Devices were in close proximity of the C8. No messages. just the countdown to zero.

1 Like

Just pick the earliest one. I'm pretty confident you will be able to pair devices. then when the Hubitat team gets things worked out upgrade then.
What do you have?
Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 8.26.47 AM
Make sure to Reset the Zigbee Radio

FWIW I have had the opposite experience, device pairing and persistence on my Zigbee mesh has improved from early releases to current. Currently on .121 both Sengled bulbs and Hue motion (initially my hardest devices to keep connected) are both solid again.

But given the range of experiences we're seeing here (from zero issues/all working to significant/blocking problems), makes sense to try a range of things, including falling back to an earlier release to see if it helps. :smiley:

FWIW, problems w/Sengled bulbs (in my case color and bright 1500 lumen versions) actually began on the C7 well before the C8 release (after being perfect for me for >3 years). Others in the forum were starting to report issues on the C7 before the C8 as well. However, as of .121 on the C8 my Sengled are once again staying connected/solid, so the bulbs are pairing/working well on some meshes. Just not all, and finding the reason(s) why the differences has not been easy.

Two areas to look into:

1. Zigbee transmission power level: The C8 has an antenna and ships w/it set to power level 16. The C7 had the rough equivalent of power level 8. Some have improved results by lowering their C8 Zigbee power setting. Settings>Zigbee Details

2. Wi-Fi interference: Given the higher power of the C8 antenna, the 2.4ghz C8 Zigbee signal may be more likely experience interference w/2.4ghz Wi-Fi. See info below, worth checking/ruling out:

2 Likes

But given the range of experiences we're seeing here (from zero issues/all working to significant/blocking problems), makes sense to try a range of things, including falling back to an earlier release to see if it helps. :smiley:
Yep can't hurt especially for the people not being able to pair any zigbee devices. I"ve actually tried it myself with some of the devices people are having problems with. Rolling back worked for me also rebuilding the network before pairing zigbee devices works as well.

1 Like

From some things that @Tony has seen, if you rebuild your Zigbee network, rebooting your Zigbee radio after you finish pairing is a good idea...otherwise the next time you reboot your hub you may experience some issues initially w/your Zigbee mesh. Did I get that right, Tony? :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I've downgraded to 2.3.4.148 (was previsouly at 2.3.5.118 then 2.3.5.121) still no joy (also reset the radio).
Also tried adding as a generic Zigbee device and nothing.

Sorry - do you really mean you "Reset" your Zigbee radio (red button) or did you "Rebuild Network?"

what other hubs are running, and on what zigbee channels?
what channel is your c8 running on?, and at what power level?
What device did you try adding?
Have you ever been able to add any device to your C8?

I'm pretty sure he reset he couldn't get any devices to pair in the first place so shouldn't have hurt

what other hubs are running, and on what zigbee channels? - Only other Zigbee things are via Hue bridge (ch=25)
what channel is your c8 running on?, and at what power level? - ch=11/power=16
What device did you try adding? Hue Dimmer (V1) x 2 (factory reset and removed from Hue bridge), Ikea Tradfri Plug
Have you ever been able to add any device to your C8? No

thanks

try changing the channel to 25, drop the power to 8, then try joining the Tradfri plug again
crap, with hue on 25, try 15 or 16

1 Like

I just updated my previous post (Hue bridge is using channel 25). So ok to mirror that?