Cannot pair several zigbee devices with new C8

I purchased a new C8 hub for my daughter at her new home. I am an experienced Hubitat owner and user with many zigbee and zwave devices. I am now attempting to pair several zigbee devices; ThirdReality motion sensor, ThirdReality water leak sensor, and cmars smart plug. In each case, it says "found a zigbee device", but it doesn't complete initialization. I have rebooted the hub, reset the zigbee radio, and reset the devices. What am I missing?

P.S.: I have succeeded in pairing one zwave device and two ecobees.

There have been FW updates for the C-8 - check for updates (under Settings) and if there is an update available, install it and try again.

If you haven't yet, try pairing w/the devices close to the hub.

You could also check Zigbee/Wi-Fi interference...the Zigbee channel could be having issues w/your daughter's 2.4ghz Wi-Fi network.

Thank you for your help, but I'm afraid that I still have no solution.

1. hub is already at latest firmware revision
  2. I am pairing my zigbee devices at about 6" from the hub.
  3. I have tried zigbee at different channels, and they all work the same. Also, proximity of the device to the hub should counteract any wifi interference. And I have moved my hub well away from the wifi router.

Any other ideas out there?

Try swapping the antennas on the hub...there have been rare cases of one of the antennas being borked.

Thanks again. Again, no luck. Swapping the antennas did not help.

At this point we usually assume it's some sort of karma issue. :wink:

Tagging @support_team - halp! :slight_smile:

I have the same exact issue with a ZigBee sonoff snzb-01 button it starts pairing but times out on initialization please look into this

Sometimes devices will pair, but the hub does not select the correct driver.

I have the Third Reality motion sensor model 3RMS16BZ. Mine is working just fine with the Generic Motion Sensor (no temp) driver.

I do not use the Third Reality water leak sensor. I suspect it will work with the Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor driver.

The CMARS plugs use eWeLink technology. They should work with the Generic Zigbee Outlet driver.

How are you trying to pair your devices. I try to pair them about 10 ft away from the hub. If they are battery powered, I start about 20 ft from the hub and then walk toward the hub until they connect. Even thing, you might need to select the correct driver.

The CMARS/eWeLink plugs also serve as Zigbee repeaters. I have several of them, but I had a couple of them fail during a recent power outage. I replaced them with Third Reality plugs rated for 15 amps rather than only 10 amps. I have found the key to a stable Zigbee network seems to be having repeaters scattered around the house. With multiple repeaters, I can usually pair new Zigbee devices hear a repeater and not be concerned about being near the hub.

I have now tried pairing the four zigbee devices with wifi completely shut down. Still no luck. Four different devices, two different manufacturers, same result ... devices are detected but pairing does not occur. I am now convinced that I have a defective zigbee radio in my C8. My previous experience with Zigbee has been easy. This experience is more than frustrating. Can anybody advise me on how I can contact someone at Hubitat to get a replacement C8?

1 Like

I tagged support earlier in the thread, since it's the weekend may not hear from them until Monday...they may have something else they want to try...if you can wait until then you might get some help to resolve your issues.

Warranty claims are entered here...

Ok, thanks. I can certainly wait till Monday. I have had great success with Hubitat in the past, so I am unaccustomed to dealing with issues through this system.

1 Like

No lie, the C8 launch has not been problem free. :wink: Unfortunately you have experienced a higher level of problems. However, HE has made good progress on the issues and I expect them to figure things out.

2 Likes

I do too. Thanks.

Try to set Zigbee power level to 8. The default is 16. In many cases (if not all) 16 is too high.

I have had mine set to 20 since the day after I migrated my C-5 and have had zero problems going on a month now. That said, it does seem like most people report better success with lower power settings. I would assume that It all depends on one’s environment; both radio interference and what devices are used.

This statement is generally correct. However higher power is not always a right thing.
I am in big apartment complex with gassilions of WiFi networks. First thing what I did with new C8 before migration was resetting Zigbee power to 8. And Zigbee mesh on C8 seems to be very healthy.

1 Like

Good call...can't hurt, might help, and hasn't been tried yet. :slight_smile:

If 8 doesn't help, try 12. Cheap/easy to give power level changes a shot.

I've been running unchanged at 16 w/few problems, so I've let mine be, not wanting to upset my apple cart. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems to work with any problem Zigbee device I tested. Click the link to read more might help you out

1 Like

I agree. I am now running Zigbee at a power of 12, but I may drop it to 8. My repeaters are connected to the hub, but nearly everything else goes through repeaters, just as it should be.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I have now tried pairing at different power levels; 8, 12, 16 & 20. The non-pairing behavior remains.