Can't get up-to-date status for Z-wave devices

Recently migrated from ST with 15 of my GE z-wave switches that don't report state changes automatically.

My automation that relies on knowing the state of switches (e.g. "if light stays on for more than 1h, turn off") is no longer working as a result. I understand that replacing these with z-wave+ would fix it, but this is not an option for me given the monetary cost.

I'm therefore trying to get the "Z-Wave Poller" app to alleviate this. Unfortunately it is not working. Symptoms:

• a dashboard with tiles of the offending Z-wave switches and dimmers correctly updates when changing the state of devices digitally, such as via a voice command through Alexa
  • the same tiles don't update when physically changing the devices state (by pressing on the switch).

Verified that the devices are listed in the poller app's settings and that polling is started. Enabled logging but not seeing any relevant logs under Logs or System Events.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I added the App, mostly to remind myself.. and found I skipped a step!!

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 7.23.11 PM

Notice how there's a START POLLING... button.. I missed that.. and clicked done. Looked in the logs.. nada. Went back in and noticed.. clicked the button and Bingo.

It polls every 10 seconds, for my ONE device..

When it's correct, it should look like:

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 7.26.43 PM

Polling was/is started.

Silly question, but you didn't say if the device itself was actually working when using various methods like voice control, from the device configuration page, or even from the dashboard.

Sorry my first bullet after symptoms wasn't clear enough. Yes, initiating device state changes digitally works both from the device's perspective and from the dashboard perspective. That includes Alexa and the dashboard. It's only when the changes are initiated physically that the device state is not properly updated.

No logs would be a clue.

Click the Gear icon at the top of the App... and look at 1) Event Subscriptions (you should see each selected device) and 2) Scheduled Jobs.

You should see a job called sendPoll or doPoll and it should have a scheduled time of 10 seconds in the future.. do a refresh or two to verify the schedule changes.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 7.47.52 PM Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 7.48.00 PM Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 7.48.10 PM

No sendPoll although it shows Polling in green on top (sorry for the big screenshot)

Right... but with no scheduled job for the future, you have a future filled with no polling :slight_smile:

I think what happenes is that the poller will extend the poll interval when it's getting nothing.. and eventually it stops.

You can click the Stop Polling button, give it a few and then click start polling.

For me, I'd snap a photo of the selected devices and remove and reinstall. :smiley: but then I only have 1-3 of the old devices in production... plenty of them in the junk drawer :slight_smile:

Problem here is that my significant other has seen these devices working just fine on the other system for years, making the ~$600 expense and time spent swapping the devices a very hard sell :wink:

1 Like

I wish you all the best and a lot of luck :smiley: on that front.

Rule Machine has a poll function. Maybe worth trying that?

It would be interesting to see if it is the poller app, or the device, or something else not working.

Gave it a try and it helped: entries in Scheduled Job are showing and updating and seeing lots of "Poll" log entries.

However device state changes take a really long time to be reflected in the dashboard. So long (minutes) that I initially thought it didn't work at all.

Here's for example a filtered logs on a light that I switched on. It took 10 polls after I pressed the button for the hub to notice the changes

Maybe a network issue? Have you ran a repair?

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't constantly polling 15 devices end up in cripple the Z-Wave network? :thinking:

1 Like

Yes ran repair

I concur. Everything has become unresponsive since turning on polling. "Alexa turn on the light" takes 5+ seconds or fails. Had to turn off polling. Back to square one :cry:.

Network didn't come back to normal after stopping polling. 8 of the devices are no longer responding to commands (dashboards, devices page, Alexa).

Doing a z-wave repair didn't help. The devices are marked as failed on the Z-Wave details page:

Any suggestions?

Nobody likes to hear this suggestion... Replace those old switches with modern ones.

I ripped out all of my frustrating GE Z-Wave (non-plus) switches and went with an entire Lutron Caseta lighting system. I don't miss the problems of Z-Wave at all. I am sure new Z-Wave Plus devices are much better, however I decided to go with the 'sure thing' in Lutron. I have never been happier with a home automation decision. Caseta directly integrates with Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, Logitech Harmony Hub, Hubitat, SmartThings, Home Assistant, Node-RED, etc... It just works - every time.

As much as I'd like to, this is not an option I have at my disposal.

Also, not convinced the non-plus GE switches are solely responsible for the current issues.

1. I had them for years and they never went offline before.
  2. In desperation I rebooted the hub and most of the switches are now back online (only two FAILED remaining), including the one given as example previously.
  3. One of the still-failing switches is a Z-Wave Plus (0x5E marker in In, "Smart" in driver name, was not in the list of switches in the Poller App)

You mention that you have 15 of these devices? What other Zwave line powered devices do you have? Maybe some newer repeaters or repeating devices might help somewhat, especially with the failed issue above.