Can't discover hub

I'm working into the night anyway, this is my work time!

I'll let it keep trying to connect until I hear from support. Thanks for the help. It's very much appreciated.

1 Like

if your getting an ip now then try this

goto http://hubipaddy:8081

that will pull up the diagnstics menu on the hub. if you get the menu up use the soft reset function there and wait about ten minutes then try the hub again without the 8081/.

this will reset your database and remove any issues if it became corrupt when you unplugged it :slight_smile:

I was so hopeful!

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

I think we may need to do a little network analysis here....
How much do you know about your current network structuring and setup and networking terminology in general?

What kind of router do you have and what is the model number?

I recently had a bout with some network and hub issues So I know a slew of potential things we can look at to get your hub to appear.

It's out of the box network, and I have a vague understanding of terminology and not much in networking. The router is a FiOS-G1100 - which I imagine is a rebranded something cheap from Frontier.

ok right now is your setup like this

Internet service (modem fiber etc) -> router wan port

Router lan port -> hubitat
Router Lan port - > pc
router lan port -> whatever else not another router UNLESS
router lan port -> another routers lan port with dhcp disabled

or modem->router->switch
same as above with switch in place of router lan port

I don't have a switch attached right now, or another router. It's coax in, DHCP, LAN has an Apple TV and a couple of consoles plugged in. Computers are WiFi connected.

ok before we look at the router setup lets take the most basic and often overlooked step in IT. lets reset the router first to clear its cache/memory and make sure there isnt any glitch there holding you up.

Once its back up if the hub isnt showing up to where you can access it via the discovery portal (portal.hubitat.com) by the local masq http://hubitat, or by direct ip http://hubip (assuming it pulls one) or at http://hubip:8081 then let me know and we will start looking at possible router settings that could be blocking you from connecting :slight_smile:

Are you asking me in the nicest possible way if I turned it off and on again?

:slight_smile:

yes yes i am lol.

I know it seems dumb, but the NX error above indicates its most likely an issue with the routers DNS table and the simplest fix, if its not a setting issue, is a simple reboot lol

Comically, I can't remember if I did or didn't, so i just reset it.

I used to work in tech support... i think its showing a little bit. most people would be amazed how the annoying simple and oft suggested turn it off and back on again routine fixes a problem... so you learn how to word it in the nicest way possible because otherwise people take offense to the suggestion, i know I tend to heh.

Well, I would have been annoyed at myself... but still getting DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN from all the methods above.

While you were doing that i wrote this up real fast:

For any who don't understand how networking/the internet at large work I am going to oversimplify and leave alot out so this is easy to understand. I highly advise looking up this stuff as it is very interesting and will likely come in handy in the future as networked devices and the internet itself become even more a part of our everyday lives.

When you type an address into your address bar, be it an IP or words, in order to get a page a few steps are followed.

the browser sends the request for data to your router, your router then looks at the addy, if it is an ip address your router forwards the traffic directly, if its words (aka google.com) then your router looks up the address with its internal DNS table and if not found it sends a request to the DNS server (usually specified by your internet provider). The dns server looks the address up and sends the ip address back to your router/web browser. the request is then sent out to the internet at large to the ip address that was retrieved going through a series of other computers/routers which look up the next most efficient path to send the data to reach the end address. once there the process repeats in reverse and you get your webpage.

alright now its time to look at the router settings then.
go ahead and go into your routers setup which i will assume you are comfortable doing.

make sure upnp, multicast, and DNS are are all enabled. while your in there check and see if the router supports and has enabled any virtual lans, or port segregation. also check to make sure your dhcp server hasn't run out of clients (many setups suggest setting this to the number of connected devices initially and people forget about it preventing new devices working)

And probably dumb questions.... have you set manual dns servers on your computers network adapter? and have you reset the computer your using since plugging in the hub, its possible the dns hangup is there as well.

while your in the router see what it has set for the dns server address as well please.

Going to dig into that... upnp is enabled, the rest is gibberish to me so i'll have to spend a few minutes figuring out.

For what its worth, it's showing that LAN Port 1 is disconnected. Going to triple check that the physical hook up and cable is good.

i would highly advise using a different cable than the one it came with. the flat cat6 cables are known to be prone to interference due to both the thinner wire used in them and the way the wires are laid out physically in the cable. You'll quickly learn most with any networking experience stay far away from them with very rare exceptions.

I already had, but I used a new one and my luck... but switching back has made no difference.

Hrm... if your not showing a connection at all on the port, then at this point the only things I can suggest are...

go ahead and unplug the power from the hub and wait at least 30 seconds then plug it back in and watch the light on the front and the status of that port. with luck the light will go green and your port will be active and you can access the hub.

Wait for advice from @bobbyD in support. But I don't think there is anything else he will be able to suggest other than power cycling it since its not getting an active port to the router, which means they wont be able to reach it to give it any commands. Good news is that after they confirm you've tried everything on your end you can to get it to work and it still wont behave they are really good about sending out a replacement ASAP :slight_smile:

if you choose to power cycle the hub and it comes up I would highly advise going to http://hubip:8081 and doing a soft or full reset before setting anything up to ensure you don't have any database corruption to deal with later.