Can't be this hard

that was voice, sorry mean LED and BRIGHT...LOL

Oh...okay. The only PAR38 (outdoor floodlight) smartbulbs that I know of are the Phillips Hue. They're 1300lm.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Outdoor-Hue-PAR-38-476820/dp/B07D9XL641
But you could also change the fixture and use one of the other two lights i linked to above.

I have a super bright "dumb" led wall pack that I control from a z-wave switch.. Covers a lot of area.. .

1 Like

This should work. Changing the fixture would be problematic. The 3 on the porch are built into the ceiling....the other is HIGH up on the very top corner of the house....too lazy to even think of doing that.

1 Like

Changing the bulbs must be a real nightmare then. I would go with the Hue...just make sure you have a strong Zigbee mesh to reach up that far. Luckily, you won't have to worry about them acting as repeaters if they're on the edge of your network.

This is the easiest thing for outdoor lights I have found as well. I'm surprised how much aluminum siding interferes with radio signals.

2 Likes

THANK YOU! Much appreciated!

1 Like

so I have had those GE bulbs in there for 3 years...never had to change them.

I'm not.. But I deal with wireless all the time as a network engineer.. Metal will totally kill RF.. but I have a feeling you knew this and was being sarcastic..

1 Like

I'm surprised.. I had nothing but issues with them from day 1.. So many random bugs in their firmware.. But maybe you had later versions than I and they fixed them...

I was surprised by how significant the interference is to Zigbee signals in particular. I mean, I knew there was interference but since it's so thin I didn't think it would impact the signal as much as it does.

not 1 issue with WINK. I think once we had a bad lightning storm here and i had to reset them but that's it. What happens now with them and the ones on the front porch is I have a RULE that turns them on at Sunset (they run all night) and OFF at Sunrise....HE either shows them ON when they are actually OFF or doesn't turn all 3 in Front Porch group or 2 in the OUTSIDE group off. This happens every other day. But with WINK it didn't. I had the hub in my basement and those lights are 3 levels up. The PEANUT doesn't seem to be helping. I plugged it in the front room right outside the door. The Front porch lights went off this morning no issues, but one of the outside lights showed it was on when it wasn't. I'm 100% OVER THE CREE LIGHTS THOUGH. I just got a shipment of 4 yesterday. I have 3 on my screen porch in the back....ripping those out TODAY!

Zigbee being 2.4 Ghz will be more affected than Z-wave @ 900 Mhz the higher the frequency the less it can penetrate.. Ex when you start going past 2.4 Ghz is when rain fade starts to take affect .. I've done some recent stuff gigabit wireless @ 60 Ghz and you have fog / dust fade..

1 Like

It's like you are in a faraday cage .. How is your cell signal?

Oh...it wasn't my house. I have vinyl.

1 Like

I have steel siding, although I think aluminum is worse, and had a heck of a time getting both Zwave and Zigbee out into the yard. Cell reception is almost non existent in the house so Google Voice to the rescue.

2 Likes

Ok just got 2 Tradfri's in the mail...set up on HE. I already bought 3 Peanuts (in hindsight, I should have bought 3 Tradfris') but anyway, If I leave 1 Peanut and replace the other 2 with these Tradfri's...what's the thought around that?

1 Like

I think the idea would be to keep your peanut on the edge of your mesh if you can. Although devices can be funky when it comes to repeating - I've had inside devices route through my garage when another repeater was nearby. Zigbee should sort itself out after a while.

Here's a fun page to be mystified by:

http://[your hub ip address]/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

Note: It was this page that demonstrated the "hoppiness" of the peanuts.

That's awesome....here's my output:

Parent child parameters
EzspGetParentChildParametersResponse [childCount=2, parentEui64=0000000000000000, parentNodeId=65535]

Child Data
child:[KD - Garage Sensor, F8E4, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]
child:[JD Garage Sensor, EBAE, type:EMBER_SLEEPY_END_DEVICE]

Neighbor Table Entry
[Front Porch Light 1, 29FF], LQI:233, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:7
[KD Light 2, 4AE0], LQI:242, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:3
[Smart Plug 3, 582F], LQI:255, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:1
[Nursery Light 1, 59E0], LQI:217, age:5, inCost:5, outCost:3
[Family Room Light, 82FA], LQI:242, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:3
[KD Light 1, 924B], LQI:252, age:3, inCost:3, outCost:3
[SmartPlug-Tradfri-2, 9BFA], LQI:255, age:2, inCost:1, outCost:0
[Nursery Light 2, C783], LQI:212, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:3
[Man Cave Lamp-Flex, C8EC], LQI:234, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:3
[Man Cave Lamp, D787], LQI:243, age:3, inCost:5, outCost:2
[Backyard Light 2, EB16], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:3
[Basement Hallway, EBD0], LQI:243, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:4
[Dining Room Light 1, F687], LQI:255, age:5, inCost:1, outCost:7
[Front Porch Light 2, F6D3], LQI:237, age:4, inCost:5, outCost:7
[Backyard Light 1, F943], LQI:254, age:3, inCost:1, outCost:3
[Nursery Light 3, F968], LQI:164, age:7, inCost:7, outCost:0

Route Table Entry
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Basement Hallway, EBD0] via [Family Room Light, 82FA]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Basement Door 3, 1448] via [Smart Plug 3, 582F]
status:Active, age:32, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [Smart Plug 3, 582F] via [Smart Plug 3, 582F]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Basement Hallway 2, E2B3] via [Basement Hallway, EBD0]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Front Porch Light 1, 29FF] via [Smart Plug 3, 582F]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Man Cave Lamp, D787] via [Man Cave Lamp, D787]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:2, concentratorType:Low Ram, [Smart Plug - UL1, E993] via [Smart Plug 3, 582F]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Outside Light 2, 329C] via [Front Porch Light 2, F6D3]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Basement Door 4, AD6D] via [Family Room Light, 82FA]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Nursery Light 1, 59E0] via [Nursery Light 1, 59E0]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Foyer Light, ED56] via [Smart Plug 3, 582F]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [KD Light 1, 924B] via [KD Light 1, 924B]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Nursery Light 3, F968] via [Nursery Light 3, F968]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Backyard Light 2, EB16] via [Backyard Light 2, EB16]
status:Active, age:64, routeRecordState:0, concentratorType:None, [Screen Porch 2, BE97] via [Smart Plug 3, 582F]

I have aluminum siding; actually have had good luck with my outdoor sensors but nonexistent cell reception indoors-- glad to have wifi calling on my phone. I have a Zigbee contact sensor under my mailbox which is at the road about 80 feet or so from my front door; it's parent device is an Iris plug indoors. Also have a Z-Wave motion detector in the backyard (an old Ecolink that I 'hardened' for outdoor use) about a hundred feet away from one of the Homeseer Z-Wave motion sensor/floodlight fixtures. Works fine and only conks out when the battery dies.

Keep an eye on the devices showing outCost:0; that means that the hub isn't receiving link status from them (normally a lower cost indicates a better radio link but 0 is a special case). Refresh the page and you should see the age counters periodically reset when the neighbor routers check in with the hub, roughly 4 times a minute.

It looks like the Tradfri 9BFA device hasn't established a stable link, at least when this page was generated (the age field should reset to 3 every 16-second interval when a link status report is received; if it gets to 7 without receiving a report, the hub considers that a 'stale' link). Age counts 0-2 are normally seen when a neighbor link is synching with the hub.

The F968 device also looks suspect-- in addition to poor reception from the hub's point of view (low LQI, high inCost of 7) the outCost:0 means that the Nursery Light 3 may not be hearing the hub at all, and hasn't reported its cost (how well it is hearing the hub).

1 Like