Cannot get Ecowitt data to Hubitat

I talked with many of you a week or so ago about getting an Ecowitt WittBoy. I got this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09TZZTYPK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

I have it set up and it's reporting to Ecowitt.net just fine. I also have it reporting to Weather Underground. I can pull data from Weather Underground to the Hubitat, but I cannot seem to get it working locally.

I've used the AmbientEcowittWeather driver from @snell and followed the instructions within. I have the customized Ecowitt Weather Service pointing to my hubitat by ip/hostname and the port set to 39501, then on the Hubitat I have created a virtual device from the driver and set it to use the hardware address of the weather gateway with no colons. Method of obtaining data is Ecowitt Local.... and nothing ever happens.

Secondarily - is there somewhere to copy weather dashboards or tiles that someone has already created? I've given it a go with the weather info I'm pulling from Weather Underground and my work is horrible! The name of the device sending info is always at the bottom of each tile. Some tiles have data but no label of what the data is... At this point I'm just very tempted to buy a weather console and have it display what I want to see.... The nice polished look of a well put together weather summary. I am ok with the Ecowitt.net dashboard but I don't want to see the browser on the screen, and I don't want to have to scroll to see tiles. Basically - I want the end result to look like a weather station.

If you can post some screenshots of the Device Details page for the device you setup, that would be good. Also the custom data feed in mobile app would be good.

You can try changing the Device Network ID to not be the Mac address (just change one number / letter) and see if you get an error/warning in the logs on HE.

1 Like

I've covered my HW address - I assure you it's correct, with no colons or spaces.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 085509

Here's the top section of the device as well.

Either use the IP address of your Hubitat, or its FQDN in your LAN. But the format you've used is not valid (IP address/Hostname).

2 Likes

Yep, that will be the issue, the slash in the interface was meant to imply IP or hostname, not both, and @aaiyar is also right that if you did want to use the hostname you would likely need to use something like Hubitat.local.

1 Like

Oh My Gosh! OK. That fixed that. So simple.

Now, about building a beautiful dashboard. I'm not a programmer (well, haven't done programming since Basic and Fortran 40 years ago). So, when I look at the info in the CSS tab it's terribly confusing.

2 Likes

Here's an example of what I get when I create a tile. This is the current outdoor temp. I want to add a nice background and a label that says temp or outddoor temp or something and remove the "Wittboy" at the bottom.

I could tell you the hard way to do it or you might just want to look at another @sburke781 contribution:

2 Likes

Thats not the driver we are using.

What driver should I be using?

1 Like

OK. Well, the one by Snell seems to work. Does the Simon Burke do something more/better/different?

yes much more complete in devices and features and newer

Thanks!

And @sburke781 is just a really swell guy.

2 Likes

Gee, thanks guys... Not like I am not putting effort into my driver either. Plus I do not know that there is any devices/features I do not support...

:person_shrugging:

3 Likes

sorry ... my bad... nothing personal but i just assumed your driver was mostly for ambient

Nah, I did not take it personally (thus the shrug). I have had Ecowitt support for a LONG time and changed the project to be AmbientEcowitt, then built in the Ambient Local once someone mentioned that existed as well.

1 Like

@snell Your driver is working for me. I can't get the other one to work 'yet'. Can they both work at the same time?

And, my system is pretty simple. WS90 and GW2000 (as of now). I'm going to add a display console (Professional Weather Products | Smart Home Product – Ecowitt) and a humidity/temp sensor for my greenhouse (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLRJRLM/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A13RMNHJJ617OY&th=1).... Hoping those all work together.

I have Hubitat do automation based on wind and temps which is why I wanted integration. Your driver does all that for me. I've given up on trying to create an aesthetically pleasing dashboard, which is why I have the console on order.

So, your driver is much appreciated and was simple for me to get up and running after I fixed the IP/Hostname issue.

Thank you!

3 Likes