C8 won't finish GUI-initiated reboot

Tagging @gopher.ny

1 Like

I think at this point you need to make a warranty claim

3 Likes

That does seem best. I performed another Soft Reset and did not restore my backup; the problem did not resolve.

1 Like

@bobbyd is really good about taking care of stuff like this.

1 Like

I submitted the warranty claim on Friday afternoon. I've yet to receive any communication from Hubitat to that submission or to this thread.

@bobbyD

Please remove the reboot schedule. That is likely to cause more problems than it solves. Looks like the last reboot was the luckiest one, as the hub is currently running fine. I would screen the Logs for errors. It appears that you may have some issues with Tuya integration. I am not familiar with that integration, but it seems like your hub doesn't like it much. Resolving any/all errors that are displayed in Logs and/or temporarily disabling some of the custom integrations may help you (and us) to narrow down the root cause.

1 Like

As I noted in a follow-up message, the hub was not scheduled for daily reboots but rather daily backups. I see only one error message in the logs: "Master Bathroom Heater driver not found, try downloading from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bradsjm/hubitat-drivers/main/Component/Generic Component Heating Device". I would hope that's not causing the problem. I don't know how to temporarily disable the Tuya IoT device(s). I'd prefer not to remove it completely as it was kind of a pain to set up.

Please see "Disable Device Drivers" and "Disable Apps" sub-headings in the following documents. You will need to disable both the app and any drivers:

1 Like

Thank you for the documentation links. I was able to disable the Tuya IoT device; there is no app that I see.

The very good news is that I've been able to reboot successfully twice with it disabled, so your suspicion that the Tuya integration was the problem appears to be correct. It's very odd that the problem still occurred after a soft reset with nothing loaded. The bad news for me is that Tuya/Smartlife integration was an important reason for me to transition to Hubitat.

For the tuya zigbee devices, they'll pair directly to hubitat. I would ditch any cloud based stuff myself.

1 Like

I would then work with the developer of that app or driver to see if you can figure out why it is causing issues. I don't follow Tuya stuff too closely (I don't have any) but I haven't heard of this particular issue. It seems likely it is a particular device or device configuration that is causing you issues.

1 Like

How many devices do you have on the Tuya integration? I assume those are all Wifi devices, using the community cloud integration? It is doing some pretty heavy lifting due to the tuya encryption/decryption involved. Other people have posted with as many as 50 devices on there before and it was crippling the hub.

2 Likes

That's correct; all of my Tuya/Smartlife devices are WIFI, no Zigbee. Those little smartplugs can be incredibly inexpensive. The problem may actually be with a couple of Heat Storm WIFI heaters. Neither is listed under Component Devices so I don't see how I can disable them individually (for now). The error in the log file says, "Master Bathroom Heater driver not found, try downloading from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bradsjm/hubitat-drivers/main/Component/Generic Component Heating Device" but that link isn't working/useful.

So... asking again, how many devices do you have on Tuya exactly?

This may very well be part of the issue if this is getting hammered constantly.

Looks like the dev made an mistake in the link, this will work: hubitat-public/Component at main ยท bradsjm/hubitat-public ยท GitHub
It wants you to install the "Component Heating Device" driver onto the hub and then the integration will take care of the rest by adding your device.

Sorry, I intended to include that: 30

Edit: Current States shows deviceCount: 20 while the actual number listed under Compnent Devices is now 28, presumably because some devices are listed twice because of more than one function (e.g. ceiling fan and light).

You might be pushing the limits of what the hub can handle for this integration. You will have to try getting the heater driver setup and see if it helps at all.

Otherwise offloading the Tuya integration to another system like Home Assitant and then bringing the devices over to HE from that would take a lot of the load off the HE hub. HASS has the advantage in this case of running on any hadrware you want, so unlimited processing power.

1 Like

That was it! I installed it in Drivers code, re-enabled the Tuya IoT device and the reboot worked. "Master Bathroom Heater (Heat storm heater 2019)" now appears in the Component Devices list of Tuya IoT. Thanks very much jtp10181.

I'm trying to get everything onto Hubitat to simplify my life. I'm hoping the C8 has enough horsepower. Is there a way I can monitor CPU and/or memory use?

This driver will poll the hub endpoints so you can more easily see the info: [RELEASE] Hub Information Driver v3

Also you can go to Logs > Device Stats (or App Stats).
Turn on all the checkboxes in the display settings and you can then see which devices / apps are using the most resources over time.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for all the info.