C8 unresponsive after updating from 2.3.8.117 to 2.3.8.119 and 2.3.8.120 (solved with update 2.3.8.125)

I like that.

1 Like

Just don't put anything embarassing about me in the the title...like mention of my Tootsie-Pop addiction. :wink:

1 Like

Something like this?
C8 unresponsive after updating from 2.3.8.117 to 2.3.8.120 (not related to Danabwā€™s tootsie-pop addiction)

1 Like

I don't know where you live yet, but someday I will find out and ship you a bag of Tootsie-Pops. and I will have the last laugh... :wink:

1 Like

This thread is sufficient

Let's wait until after the next release to see if you continue to have problems.

2 Likes

Please update to the latest version recently released, and let us know if you have any more problems:

Iā€™ll give it a try.

2 Likes

Bobby - if this doesn't work, probably faster to just take his hub back. Added benefit: If he doesn't have a hub he may be willing to sell me all of his Zigbee/Z-Wave gear for cheap.

So...Win/Win? :wink:

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

About five hours in, the hub is frozen againā€¦

Iā€™ll try a few more times.

That's not good. Please send me a message along with your hub id. I'd like to take a look to see what is causing the freezing this time.

2 Likes

Looks like the problem may be a custom driver for a LAN device. If the driver doesn't catch the errors, then that may explain why you may not have seen anything in the user logs. Do you mind disabling the custom drivers? I see that you were receiving the CPU load alerts too, which is good.

1 Like

That depends on which driverā€¦. If itā€™s for the Meross devices (@ithinkdancan ) that I had long before purchasing the C8, I canā€™t because itā€™s for every switch in the house.
Before we debate though, itā€™s been working great for a long time, and just started being an issue after updating from 117.

2 Likes

See my PM for more details.

1 Like

:+1:

I've been having the same sort of problems since I purchased my C8 hub. I don't think I use any LAN driver but I have lots of custom drivers that could be causing this. Is there any way, instead of wasting HE's team time due to my experiments, to access those engineering logs?

Best,

Nope, they have never done this as far as I have seen.

You don't sound too certain about that statement. So no Echo Speaks? How about thermostats connected via app (and not Zigbee or Z-wave)? Things like lighting where you added a bulb or RGB lights via some app? Weather apps or location apps? Or anything similar to these?

Echo speaks, indeed. For the rest I try to use built-in drivers, mostly zigbee or zwave, and have a couple custom drivers. Also several LAN devices indeed, ESP32 and ESP8266 based, but they run on all 3 hubs I have, and only this hub crashes and gets locked with a green light although not reachable over ICMP.

As you know, the engineering logs are strictly platform level exceptions that are posted in the Logs (Past Logs) with additional details to allow users to take actions on any warnings and errors.

Very rare we may discover an exception that isn't posted in the engineering logs, that our engineers would immediately convert in actionable user logs.

If you are worried about your own custom code to cause problems, be sure to add plenty of debug logging in your code to capture the actions your code is executing, otherwise, the Logs (Past Logs) should be a great place to start screening for hyperactive devices and apps.

2 Likes

Yep, indeed, been adding a lot of try / catch lately. Unfortunatelly, since I studied software engineering and started working in the field, I can't find the free time I used to have to run through all possible scenarios. But I clearly have a lot of cleaning to do.

1 Like