C8 unresponsive after updating from 2.3.8.117 to 2.3.8.119 and 2.3.8.120 (solved with update 2.3.8.125)

I created a post about the upgrade from 2.3.8.117 to 2.3.8.118.

I am creating this post because the C8 hangs up as badly with the current version 2.3.8.119. @support_team: I really would like some assistance please. As it stands now, I can only use 2.3.8.117.

Thank you!

Edit 1: Below @danabw suggested not creating a new post per version, and since @bobbyD thinks the issue might be resolved in 121, I will take that suggestion and rename this post.

1 Like

Are you running jumbo frames anywhere on your network? When it locks up can you get to yourhubip:8081?

I do not recall ever activating jumbo packages anywhere. Definitely not on my PC:

I tested it just now and port 8081 brings me directly to the "Hubitat Diagnostic Tool". I don't have a bunch of time to test, but I can try tomorrow. Assuming that I can get to that page, what am doing there?

The main purpose is that it tells us if the ethernet crashed or just the main platform locked up. While in there though you can do a proper reboot / shutdown instead of just pulling the plug.

You would want to check all lan based devices starting with your router.

When the hub wasn't responding, I was able to get to the "regular" web ui, but clicking anything just got the progress wheel turning infinitely (well, until I got bored...). So yes, it's accessible, but only to the login page.

I'll have to go through what I can, but there are plenty of wifi devices that don't allow access. Please be so kind as to link the main article describing why Hubitat has problems with jumbo frames. Of course I should mention again, that everything has been working fine until I updated past 117, so Jumbo frames are unlikely...

Thank you!

Since it works fine on 117 I would not bother checking this, not sure why he brought it up.
Also, when this is the issue it takes out the entire ethernet interface, which you said is still working, so not the issue. It is some sort of hardware or low level software issue the ethernet just pukes when it gets multicast jumbo frames packets.

Staff @bobbyD would probably need to look at your engineering logs to figure out what is going on.

LOL. I just edited my last post to reflect that...

Can I extract them somehow?

No, they need your hub ID and then they can get it through the cloud connection somehow. Not accessible to the public.

If you hub is under warranty or you have hub protect you could also file a warranty claim: Warranty – Hubitat Support

My hub is a litte too old and I don't have Hub Protect, but again, it worked just fine...

You can add Hub Protect at any time, at which point your hub is warrantied against HW failure as long as you have Hub Protect. So something to consider in the future...

1 Like

I gave it another try from 117 to 119. The results are same, but I knew to check the network this time. The phone app and the browser cannot connect to the hub for the web UI, but both can connect to the diagnostic page on port 8081.

I just updated to 120. Let’s see what happens…

I don't think there is anything in .120 to address your issue. Hopeful the next release after .120 will have something...

Support has yet to contact me. Since “my issue” is as of yet unknown to them, how could it be addressed?

Edit 1. I just noticed your PM, but should the issue persist in 120, I will create another thread for 117 -> 120 as well so it has been documented.

1 Like

Keep your comments in this topic so they are all in the same spot, and just update the topic title to include the platform versions you're seeing it on. Separate topics for the same issue (especially an uncommon one like this) will just confuse things.

They have been tagged and are aware...since we're not at all sure what is causing your issues, it's always possible a release addressing other issues could accidentally touch on yours. HE has a very dedicated but relatively small staff, so can only cover so much ground at the same time. I'm confident they will help you.

In the meantime, please PM your hub UID (Settings>Hub Details) to @support_team which will allow them to view your hub's engineering logs.

1 Like

Mind me asking how you reached out to us? I was looking at our warranty cases earlier and haven't seen any outstanding.

1 Like

I don't think he did reach out - he said above that his hub was too old to be under warranty so he didn't created a case after Jeff gave him the link. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@danabw's wishful thinking may actually come true. We have identified an issue, which seems to fit the symptoms you've described, and our engineers are working on a fix. Likely the next update will address the problem.

1 Like