C8 Totally Unresponsive. This Common?

Let me try this again, the message below got posted in reply to “bertabcd1234” by mistake, so I deleted it and tried to reply to re-post it and it won’t let me post it, says its too similar to my deleted post....let me see if this posts...

Hi danabw,
I saw in my email you had added a post here, I was not going to post any more here (for reasons I won't go into here, its so ridiculous), anyway I was going to PM you directly to thank you for the info and tell you a bit more, but just as was about to message you I just discovered my C8 is offline again. On my iPhone app it says "No response from hub" and on my MacBook browser no response again either. Doing a network scan its IP address (10.0.1.92) does not come up. Trying to access it at 10.0.1.92:8081 gets no response either, Selecting "Hub Diagnostic" in my phone app gets no results, just a blank page. The LED on the Hubitat is on and a steady Green. So....after 4 days this issue returns. But at this point I guess I'lll just have to unplug it again and re-boot it? Then try any monitor the memory like you suggest? I'm assuming if this is a hardware issue it will return at some point. We'll see.
Thanks again, Jeff-

Could be something as simple as the hub having moved its IP address, perhaps because a DHCP lease reservation hadn’t been made for the MAC and, when the existing lease expired, it was given another IP, perhaps during one of your reboots. You might try a network scan, look for a moved hub, or an arp and try to identify the MAC shown on the bottom of the hub.

These things were suggested above by others, and still matches the facts described.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I did scan my network with the LanScan app and the Hubitat did not show up at a different IP address, or at all. I did just unplug the power to it, then plugged it back in and let it boot back up, and it did come back up on the network at 10.0.1.92. It did seem to run ok from 11/30/23 until about 4 days ago, and now again, I am guessing if a hardware issue it will re-appear soon. I did move it a little farther away from from my WiFi router, we'll see if that helps.

Thanks, Jeff-

** I will try to watch the Hubitats free memory too, as danabw suggests too

....I did just see there was a Firmware update too:

Currently running version: 2.3.7.146

New version available: 2.3.8.117

....updating to that now.

1 Like

Definitely a good idea, IIRC there may be some fixes in 2.3.8 that could help.

1 Like

Please do not take offense or feel like you were being attacked somehow. @jtp10181 , @672southmain @bertabcd1234 and @danabw are some of the most helpful people in the community and all have helped me immensely at times. The post @jtp10181 linked to is fairly new but it is tailored towards self help, and if that fails getting your problem figured out quickly and get you back up and running! Please remember these people are not employees of Hubitat, they are users just like you and me who give their time and experience to help other where they are able.

My immediate thought is that the only real time I've had that issue with my C8 was when the memory got too low. There is a great community driver to help monitor hub health written by @thebearmay, it's called Hub Information Driver V3. Depending how deep you want to go down that rabbit hole you could also Use HE with with InfluxDB, Grafana, with InfluxDB Logger which would provide some very useful graphs to monitor your systems.
Like you I am mostly Z Wave, more devices, but still not a large system. The other time I have seen that (on earlier hubs) was with a particularly chatty device. That device brought my mesh to it's knees in no time. I finally had to remove it and wait (a couple years) until a firmware update came out to fix the problem. In that instance @jtp10181 was of great help!

Hopefully all of this will help get you up and running and keep everything on track!

8 Likes

If you do use my driver I’d suggest adding a rule to alert you of an IP address change just in case.

4 Likes

Curious, do you have jumbo frames enabled anywhere on your network? I don't know if you mentioned that before or not)

2 Likes

I am surprised no one else has mentioned this, but if haven't already i would suggest performing a soft reset. You can do it either by the toggle on the screen to do a reboot or via the diagnostics page. If you have had occasions where you have had to pull the power it may help if something got corrupted in the database.

1 Like

Jumbo Frames? I have not selected that or even knew that was as option. All other devices on my network have worked fine for years. Where would I check that option on Hubitat? Thanks

There is no Hubitat-related option, it’s just that the hub doesn’t do well on LANs that are using jumbo frames. Relevant for some users, but not that many.

3 Likes

It would be on your router. Sometimes listed as an MTU size - greater than 1500 is usually considered "Jumbo"

2 Likes

Well guys, it happened again, I went to turn off this living room light last night and got the "No response from hub" error. Trying to access it at http://10.0.1.92:8081 got no response, scanned my local network with LanScan 10.0.1.92 was nowhere to be found. I unplugged power to the C8 and then plugged the power back in, at first I thought the LED was off, and I thought "Good, at least we know it was a hardware failure", and I left it unplugged until this morning. I even tested the USB power block thinking maybe that was the issue and failed, but on my tester I was showing 5.15V. And now I just plugged the Hubitat back in and it powers up and comes back up on the network. I don't know what to do here. I can't move the rest of my devices over from my VeraPlus if this is going to keep happening every several weeks. Right now I just have a living room lamp, my coffee maker and Zooz relay box on it for testing, but I need something reliable for more critical functions. This has me bummed. Is there any diagnostic software that can be put on the Hubitat, that will keep uploading states of things off the device (where it won't be lost after a failure)? Thanks guys, I appreciate any feedback. I'm going to have to decide if I going to give up on Hubitat or not soon.

Were you able to check on your router for any MTU settings as @thebearmay noted above, just in case? The hub is sensitive to use of Jumbo Frames so ever other device could work fine on your network and just the HE hub could be affected. What router are you using?

Maybe time for @support_team to take a look at your engineering logs to see if any clues surface.

1 Like

My router is a Apple Time Capsule (ME182LL/A Model No. A1470), as far as I can tell there is no way to see or change the MTU setting on it.

....Also, I have been using a hard wired connection to my NETGEAR "24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS324)" ...while still connected to that I tried to set the Hubitats' Wi-Fi settings to connect to my Apple Time Capsule (or other Wi-Fi hot spot I have) directly, but when I scan for Wi-Fi networks nothing comes up, and manually entering the Wi-Fi name and password does not connect to anything either.....so Join Wi-Fi Network and 'Re-Scan Wi-Fi networks' don't seem to work. I'm sure its me doing something wrong here, but any idea why my Hubitat not seeing my local Wi-Fi hubs?

I also did just update the Hubitat from 2.3.8.117 to 2.3.8.118. And did the update to the Hubitat Package Manager too.

I was trying that "Drag n Drop" app with the Injectly code, I removed both from my device. We'll see if that helps.

Thanks

You can only use wifi or ethernet, but you cannot have both of those connections active -- that'll cause problems. I realize that's a tempting configuration (why not have wifi tee'd up as a backup connection in case ethernet fails), but it's not currently possible to have that.

If you have the option to hardwire via ethernet, that's always preferable. I seem to recall some users having issues with unmanaged Netgear switches, but hopefully folks here that know switches well can comment on any potential gotcha's with your GS324.

2 Likes

Yes but he should be able to scan for a network and connect to Wifi in order to transition from Ethernet to Wifi.

If you want staff to look at it you can submit a warranty claim here:

1 Like

Hi Guys,

I was just thinking the past few days I should make a post here saying I've had no issues with my C8....after running zero add on software, moving it to a different location and doing that update in Feb. And I think I did another update a couple weeks ago. The C8 seemed to be working Ok....THEN very early this morning it was working because I turned on my coffee maker and living room light from the bedroom with it. But a couple hours later I went to turn the living room light back off and I get the "No response from hub" message in the phone app. Trying to connect to it from http://10.0.1.92:8081 results in no response, Sooo...I thought I was on track, but it now seems not. I'll contact tech support now.

Jeff-

PS And the C8 has a Green Light on, not a Blue Light, but is still totally unresponsive. I accidentally deleted this post trying to add the PS, and I see no way to undo that, even though it will show me the deleted post....so here it is again, with this PS added.

Ok, I was just trying to get to Hubitat Tech Support, but get the Warranty page. And on that it says "A claim can only be made if the hub was purchased within the past 90 days" ....my Hubitat was Ordered 11/27/23, arrived 11/29/23. And I been having ongoing issues ever since, as documented here. Can someone please tell me hope to reach someone who actually works at Hubitat? Thanks...