C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

Looks like the community "Advanced Hue Integration" also does motion, but only via polling, so not so useful for motion events.

The Motion, Light, and Temperature sensors can be used in polling mode if so desired

I'm trying to reduce complexity/moving parts in my home automation, so resisting the urget to add Hue to my current HA setup linked to HE, which I'm only using for some Aqara contact sensors that kept falling off HE in the past.

Hopefully I will be able to move them all to HE if testing of another five or six Aqara sensors that I have recently connected directly to HE goes well. Since I've added SonOff USB dongle repeaters to my mesh the Aqara contact sensors connected to HE have been more reliable, even when they aren't repeating via the SonOff repeaters. Makes no sense to me, but if I can get the Aqara to work reliably on HE and drop the HA connection that would be good for me. Want to use the Aqara because they are just the right size for a very tight fit/PITA to get at location, and have long battery life so no need to get at them frequently.

Exactly my reluctance to step backwards. Pre-Hubitat I had my home automation spread over 3 or 4 different systems. It was a nightmare when ever something went wrong. I have gotten rid of almost all other systems and this is the first time I step back into the HA nightmare.

2 Likes

I have found HA to be a nice compliment to HE. All the Apple integration, MyQ, Litter Robot, etc. I can have all of my odd things and I don't have to worry about it bogging down my main automation system, which is HE.

Mine are through repeaters and still dropping.

Mine too

1 Like

I just updated to .117, now I wait.
AGAIN !

1 Like

Hmmm. Not what I’m experiencing. The two on the outside of the house within 10 feet are staying connected. The one on the far side of the house taking hops is the one hopping off.

EDIT: The above is now only partially correct. It looks like all battery devices are now making a hop and only mains-powered are direct children. Something you’re forcing in the recent update? My missing device on the far side of the house hasn’t rejoined the party, so I’ll need to reset it next time I’m back at the house to see if it then stops dropping off on .117.

Also updated. One dropped on update, however it may have dropped immediately before or during. It's was very difficult to get it working again. Motion was stuck on active.

Toggling high sensitivity to off and back a few times got it working. Now to wait to see if anything drops again.

Devices that can be routers for other devices are never child devices. Also, how close to the hub a device is doesn’t mean it’s going to be a child device, unless you have a really weak mesh and even then it’s not a certainty.

1 Like

I meant neighbors. Only the mains-powered are neighbors to the hub. Most of my Zigbee devices don’t show in the Child & Route info, but all of the Hue devices (except for the one that dropped off) show in the routing table, which was making me think the above. Admittedly, I’m not very knowledgeable on the Zigbees, so not sure what all that means. I’ll do more research.

The Hue sensors probably tried to join the hub as child devices at some point since Zigbee route changes happen quite often. If you open the Zigbee logs page and leave it up for a while you will see it happening. Just watch the RSSI values. Big changes probably indicate a route change in my experience. I can see my mmwave sensor change routes pretty quickly because it’s so chatty. It will change several times in a couple minutes, alternating between directly connected and 2 other repeaters, and showing up in the routing table as a neighbor and as routing through another repeater at the same time.

My Zigbee logging appears to be broken. Nothing for over 15 minutes. After upgrading to .117, I now have 6 devices that won’t connect (not Hue). This is getting a bit ridiculous. I updated to the C8 for a better network experience, but it’s not been great. I was confident that the team would be able to fix it, but my confidence is waning. I think it might be time to move back to C-7 and get a refund for the C-8.

2 Likes

What zigbee power level are you currently using? Also, have you tried experimenting with it to find out what works best for you? I experimented a little and ended up on 20, which gave the highest lqi to my routing devices overall. Others have reported higher lqi with lower power. It probably depends on how noisy your environment is as the higher the power is set, the more sensitive the receiver becomes, possibly degrading the signal. A power level of 4 was also added recently, which apparently makes the C-8 (because of the antenna) have similar transmission to the C-7 or C-5 (same zigbee radio).

Can anyone opine on this table? .117 firmware.

In the earlier firmware, there a couple things under 'child', but I recall they were null or something. Also a device that I couldn't figure out what it was. Whatever. I'm no Zigbee guru.

Driveway motion is the problematic Hue.
Plugs are Centralite 4300C.
Other motions are indoor Hues.

Thanks.

Looks normal (for a mesh with no end devices directly connected to the hub), actual functionality aside. If anything I'd expect to see problems with C358 (it's connecting through Garage Bench Light 3DBB which seems to be hanging on a thread: LQI 61... is always that weak?)

Does the child table change when you click on 'Rebuild Network'?

From what I've seen, that seems to update the hub's displayed child table if it isn't in sync with recent parent/child changes; I don't know if it does anything internal to the hub's child table affiliation to make that happen, or actually has any direct effect on the mesh.

So you're having issues with 8FAE motion sensor? It seems to be a child of 532C (or another router reachable from 532C). New data point that would go counter to the thinking that Hue problem is only a C-8 child issue.

1 Like

I've been having problems with 8FAE motion sensor.

I re-paired it yesterday afternoon after it dropped.
I installed .117 yesterday evening.

After I installed .117 nothing appeared in the 'child' section on top; maybe that's a good sign.
I'm a little reluctant to click on 'Rebuild Network', but I might do it anyway, for the heck of it.

1 Like

I always had problems with Hue devices (sensors and buttons) on my C-5. So much so that I put them back on the 2 Hue bridges and used HADB to bring them back. So I set up HA just for this reason. Interestingly enough, no problems with them on my C-8.

1 Like

I have mine set to rebuild zigbee network with every reboot. No issues so far, and it seems to build out (or preserve) all of the routes in the routing table so I'm not seeing any delay in devices finding a route after firmware updates, etc.

1 Like

This what I get, maybe a couple minutes after, lol:
edit: starting to populate now.

1 Like