C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

Almost 2 days now hanging on a tree.
Reporting lux every 10 minutes.

I'm going to post again only if it drops off.
Of course, I just jinxed it.

Just don’t attempt to install another Zigbee device and it will stay static. Once you start Zigbee pairing mode is when it will reck havoc.

Hmmmm. Really?

Well, I didn't really jinx it, because it went off line at 2:43 this afternoon, before I made that post.
It was on line for about two days.
It failed in the 'active' state.

That has been my experience with it lately. If I don’t attempt to install a new Zigbee device my Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor stays happy and connected.

Mine Hue sensors falling off has not been related to adding any new devices, so your correlation may be just coincidental occurrences. I have no idea of course, but mine have been falling off w/out me doing anything on my mesh to add or remove any Zigbee devices...

1 Like

It looks like my zigbee radio is going off and coming back about every two days.

My Hue Outdoor sensor has stayed on and active. That's the good news.

But an Iris motion sensor, which has been rock steady for years, dropped off around 6:00 pm. I pulled its battery for about 30 seconds. When I put the battery back in, it started reporting again just as though nothing had happened. We'll see if it stays that way.

I can't find anything in the logs that would give me any kind of clue.

ETA: The zigbee radio turned off/on again tonight at 9:00 pm. It appears to be consistently dropping at 3:00 pm and 9:00 pm.

I'm going to jinx it, But my outdoor hue has stayed online about a week now. Ever since .113 came out. And i have added 3 new zigbee devices and removed 2 with no ill effects.

2 Likes

I was all set to test that theory, but before I could the thing went off line.
I'm on .113
I did subsequently remove, factory reset, and repaired an indoor Hue motion with no ill effects.

thats not good i would ping support.. i have a reboot rule so if my zigbee radio goes offline i will know.. it notifies me then reboots

I wonder if the driver could be a factor?
Sensitivity is "High" for the indoor version and "Medium" for the outdoor.
Same firmware versions, for me.
Outdoor drops, Indoor does not.
Same driver.
Could the customization in the driver for outdoor vs. indoor be a factor?

@mike.maxwell ?

I have 5 Hue Motion detectors that are all still dropping. None of my other Zigbee devices are having issues. I even have Smart things branded motion detectors in the same areas that are not dropping.

not with it dropping. the issue appears to be the c8 doesn't like having the hue motions as direct children...

That makes sense why mine have been so stable. Also, I’m sure that there’s a dad joke in there, but I wait for @danabw to make it.

4 Likes

I am a dad joke. :wink:

Good to know...mine are both currently routing through another device, which likely explains their staying connected.

I may try moving one of my SonOff repeaters close to the C8 between the Hue sensors and the hub, if their current repeaters in the garage/utility room closer to the the sensors lose them to the hub and they continue to fall off. Or may just move them to my C7 if they are no more help w/figuring out the Hue issues on the C8.

1 Like

You know that one of mine is literally 2 feet from my C-8, the other 2 are around 25 feet in each direction. One hanging on the wall of the garage right next to the man door into the house and the other is on the opposite end of the house.

1 Like

That makes sense! Mine dropped when I paired it inside next to the hub. But the last time I paired it in place and it routed through a repeater. It’s been steady since then.

1 Like

I’m watching to see it it does it again today. There doesn’t appear to be a need to reboot. So far, except for that one Iris motion sensor, everything has been fine once it comes back up in just over a minute.

1 Like

I removed my last 2 Hue motion sensors from the C8. These 2 were fine for well over 3 weeks but today one was acting up. No idea if its related to issues on C8 or something else but I I lost faith and moved them to the Hue hub. Now all my motions events are reported to Hubitat via Hue Integration on HA.