C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

I just tested my new Hue outdoor motion.

Range is fantastic. Much more than the old indoor model I just tested.
It works from inside the plastic mailbox out by the road.

The contact sensor I have there works fine, so I zip tied the motion to a tree by the gate.
Not sure yet if passing cars will set it off.

I'd like to know if someone pulls into the driveway.
(Not that any of this is necessary.)

All my indoor Hue motions are hanging in there.

edit: Ach. I think the flag is setting it off. Or passing cars. Back to the drawing board.

They are connected via USB to flash router FW, and then to power them you connect them to any USB plug.

1 Like

Plugs into the computer for firmware updates and into a usb wall outlet the rest of the time.

The wife is to short to notice them :joy: and yes I did put that outlet there just for them.

2 Likes

Same! 5' 3/4" (on a good day) so anything way up high is safe!! :wink:

1 Like

P Version or E or doesn't matter ? Seems like the P version has a link to firmware to set to repeater or router whatever you guys are calling lol. I'm finding out that That the C8 doesn't seem to like Hue repeaters or Sonoff outlet repeaters as much as it likes my Xbee's 3's. Going to ditch the hue and Sonoff.

I've only used the P version of the dongle, so no experience w/the newer E. I know some folks here are using the E - you may find posts from them in my SonOff topic, and you could hit them up for any info they have. The SonOff USB dongle does work for me, and has been more active with the C-8 than it was w/the C-7. I got them primarily for help w/two things:

• Zigbee Presence sensor/automation that had to reach out into my driveway to see the arrival of a Zigbee device in our cars:
    ZigBee Arrival Sensor For Car

• Support for Aqara contact sensors which I would like to use directly on my hub. Aqara/Xiaomi generally do not play well w/the Hubitat hub (lots of "how do I keep them connected?" topics on them in this forum).

The dongles worked for the presence sensors, but the Aqara sensors never seem to route through the dongles. On the other hand, since I added the SonOff dongles the Aqara sensors have been more reliable, so it's a little confusing what's actually going on. But I'll take improvement over problems.

Never used any other SonOff products or the Hue repeaters, so no experience there, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately).

1 Like

Thanks for all the info, Yeah I never paid attention to the signals from the repeaters back to the C5 from the Hue and sonoff. Most of the Stuff was routing through the Xbee 3's at the time but they're the ones with the external antennas that go for miles. From what I see the hue and the sonoff have pretty bad signal with Both the C8 and C5 but the C5 seems to not care. Can you use the Sonoff dongles to show your network performance like you can with the Xbee 3's ?

Not that i'm aware of, but I'm not a very technical guy, mostly borrow other peoples smarts, so there may be a way I'm not aware of. The dongle doesn't have a device-specific driver on Hubitat, defaults to "Device" but most of us assign the Ikea Tradfri Signal Repeater driver, as leaving it on Device results in noise/chatter in the logs.

1 Like

The E version is the same chip that’s in the C-8, so you decide….
I have 5 of the P version (3 on the C-8 and 2 on my C-5) and no problems.

1 Like

lmao wtf

So does the new Home Assistant official stick.

The P version is a TI chip, the E version is Silabs

1 Like

Well, looks like I'm not immune.

Zigbee radio had another minute long outage this afternoon.
That was about 2 hours after the Hue Outdoor Motion was joined.
I didn't notice it until I looked at the logs.

Looking at the log, it seemed to me that the Hue Outdoor Motion hadn't reported anything for a couple of hours. I hit refresh and configure and got no response.

I went out on the driveway, almost falling on the ice, and verified that the sensor stopped working.

I did a soft reset and db restore about an hour before the last activity, but I'm thinkin' that's not a factor.

Went out again, cut it down. Non reactive.

Pressed setup once, added zigbee device, found previously added device, chose that
Back in business.

What's interesting is that it was so strong in range performance earlier.

I'll let it run overnight inside and maybe zip tie it back to the tree tomorrow.

edit: I reinstalled it anyway.

1 Like

Looking at the logs, I seem to get a one minute zigbee radio outage after each firmware update after .103.

I'll be going P :crazy_face: I've had enough crazy for this week :crazy_face: I've had my fun with Silicone Labs Zwave software stuff whatever they call the latest version.

1 Like

Do you know which repeater it was going through before it dropped?

No. I haven't gotten into any Zigbee nuances.

Is dropped the right word? It's like it got unpaired. I had to repair it to get it working again. If there was a loss of signal, you'd think bringing it back in would let it reconnect.

What would these numbers mean?
I guess I have to read up.

Those are your zigbee signals to the last repeater the end device takes back your hub. Look pretty bad. well Lqi looks bad, But it seems that some people think they don't mean anything lol.