C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

Do you know which repeater it was going through before it dropped?

No. I haven't gotten into any Zigbee nuances.

Is dropped the right word? It's like it got unpaired. I had to repair it to get it working again. If there was a loss of signal, you'd think bringing it back in would let it reconnect.

What would these numbers mean?
I guess I have to read up.

Those are your zigbee signals to the last repeater the end device takes back your hub. Look pretty bad. well Lqi looks bad, But it seems that some people think they don't mean anything lol.

I would say both measures.look.bad.

Hum -- how can you tell? I just ordered some on Amazon (thinking maybe the problem was with my sensors?) which I'd be happy to return if I don't need them. I saw your post and checked out the Hue website, but the ones there LOOK the same, and I don't see anything in the description there to indicate they are different. How can I tell, and how are the new ones better than what I've already got?

Mine does that after every reboot, and everything is working perfectly. I’m not positive, but I think it’s rebuilding the network. After I started seeing that behavior, I turned on rebuild network after every reboot, fearing that things wouldn’t work if it didn’t happen :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Build 2.3.5.113 has made my HUE sensors stable again, and seem to be online for over two days now.

I have 5 Hue Outdoor Motion. 2 Dropped. Updated to .113. Just had 1 of the 2 drop off again this AM. Did a Zigbee network reboot, lowered power, moved Hub farther from Wi-Fi router. No love. Going to try a factory reset and fresh re-add of the currently-offending sensor.

Just had a Sengled contact sensor re-paired 2 days ago fall off the mesh again. Tried re-pairing it, it appeared to re-pair, but the device is not functional.

Hey, look. It got better, I think, overnight. Different, anyway. :slight_smile:
I might try leaving on the laptop overnight for the logging.

1 Like

I've been poking around the Zigbee world.
Here's this morning's child and route table (excuse the squiggly highligher.)

What's interesting to me is that the last hop to the driveway motion detector is through a power outlet in the dining room, which is not as close as the hub, plus it doesn't have fancy antennae. Plus, the hub is on the windowsill!

The "zig plugs" are all Centralite 4300C(?), for the Christmas lights.

I wonder what would happen if I remove that DR Zig Plug? Would it re-route to the hub?

To quote a google source:

While windows are great for letting the light in, they mess with your signal by reflecting it. Especially Low-E (low-emissivity) windows. They have a metallic film to help with energy consumption. Therefore, they can block and reflect the signal more than a clear window.

Tinted glass is designed with specific materials to block out the light and often come in an array of colors. Similar to Low-E glass, they sometimes have a metallic film which interferes with specific radio signals.

1 Like

I could put it on the floor then. Would save from possible antennae hits by the shade.
Then, it would only have to go through the drywall, fiberglass, wood, and vinyl like the plug. :slight_smile:

Might actually work better :sunglasses:

Yeah, maybe, but I just took a closer look.
There's a hot water heating baseboard along the floor.

The house is 20 years old. Windows are Pella. Etching says Insulshield, but I believe what that means might have evolved over the years.

I might be able to find a serial number on the window somewhere and possible correlate that to the exact properties of the glass. I'm thinking that's a long shot.

Wall mount? Command strips? Bracket? Uggghhh.

Numerous ZigBee devices on my mesh are routed right past my Hub to a further away repeater and back again. I don't think the C-8 ZigBee communication is performing the way it should be. Some on here have tested range using a ZigBee device on both C-7 and C-8 and the C-8 did not perform well despite increased power and external antenna. Interesting that a C-7 with external antenna mod DID seem to perform better. Is the new chip the issue? The firmware? Something else? Hopefully we find out soon. I am having frustrating ZigBee issues since moving to C-8 and am following closely and hoping for an Ah Ha moment from the devs.

1 Like

Not having looked a Zigbee too much, it seems Z-wave is more intuitive. Under details, you can see if a device is attached directly to the hub.

I noticed in the child and route table that a lot of devices seem to go through that plug. Perhaps I'll disconnect it and see what happens. :slight_smile:

SAME HERE! I'm hoping for a solution soon otherwise I will need to manually move 140 zigbee devices back to my C7