C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

And, all I get is this when I try to upgrade the device's firmware:

edit: Looking at a post of mine many posts above, it turns out the firmware on the device is the latest.

However, annoyed at the error message, (yes, the device was 4" from the hub), I substituted a Hue button driver and got a valid response! I'm thinking this is a job for @mike.maxwell , or someone to clean this up.

edit2: I just tried this with another Hue motion, and it is now updating it to the latest firmware.

edit3: I take it back. The update failed. Close though.

My Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor, that has been reporting in regularly for so long I put my little screwdriver away, dropped again this morning. Weirdly it continued to show up in the zigbee routing table. I've repaired it yet again.

I'm really glad I can reach the thing without getting on a ladder.

1 Like

I've got mine velcroed to a tree, lol.

2 Likes

I’ll be reducing the height on my troubled one

One of mine requires a ladder, one of them requires crouching down low by a bush. They got me coming and going... :wink:

3 Likes

How's this for weird, when trying to upgrade the Hue indoor motion, using the Hue button driver and the device 4" from the hub, I get the message above, which includes moving the device closer to the hub.

On a whim, I moved it next to one of the Centrallite plugs, which seem to repeat well, and it's updating! It's a slow process, only 10% so far.

2 Likes

Successfully updated firmware using the hue button driver.
Going to try it on another Hue motion, first with the motion driver, and if that doesn't work, the button.

edit1: It didn't work with the motion driver, but it's starting with the button driver! This was on an in-place motion sensor upstairs (hub is downstairs).

edit2: Completed

3 Likes

I'm on my third Hue indoor motion that wouldn't update firmware from its driver but would update from the Hue button driver. I think @support_team should fix this. It should be noted that the outdoor motion updated fine from the Hue motion driver.

On a more happy note, the outdoor "driveway motion" Hue has almost completed two days of connectivity. Still no children. Table below.

Also, it strikes me that the Hue's luminescence reading are fine and linear. Much nicer than the Zooz motions I have which are basically day or night.

Update: Two nights in a row all motion sensors all makes go unresponsive in the middle of the night when I have nothing happening and they don't come back up.

Rebooting the hub brings everything back.

How about this:

There's something about zigbee in the new Hub that makes it incompatible in some ways with the Hue motion sensors.

As I said earlier, I couldn't do an firmware upgrade to an indoor Hue motion (using the button driver that actually works for this purpose) with the sensor 4" from the hub. It found the upgrade file but said it was still too far from the hub, or something.

However, when I moved the device next to a Centralite 4200C plug...no problem.

Also, there are no Children in the table, if that means anything.

Yes but the issue is not limited to Hue motion sensors. People are reporting issues with a variety of zigbee devices, though Hue motion sensors are at the top of the list for sure.

1 Like

On another Hue firmware upgrade note:
I am now in the process (about a half hour) of upgrading the firmware of the Hue indoor motion which is sitting in my fridge's freezer!
This is of course, with the driver that works for this: the Hue button.

OK I have to ask...

Try temporarily using the Hue Button driver. That's been working for me.

1 Like

LOL no I wasnt asking about that. I was asking why you have a motion sensor in the freezer!

Because it works.

2 Likes

How do you know it doesn't update the fw to the hue button fw when u do that? I thought your hue outdoor already had latest fw?

I was able to update the Hue Outdoor Motion directly from the driver.

I have to change the driver to Hue Button for the indoor motions that I am upgrading.

I don't have any Hue buttons.

Update: The freezer motion firmware upgrade failed at 50%. Even though it's in a plastic bag, I figure there'll be possible condensation issues if I take it out, so maybe I'll just try again.

Update 1: Hey, how about that! It started updating where it left off!

2 Likes

Do you expect there to be a software fix for this at some point soon, or is it possibly a hardware issue? I'd rather not have to return my two C8s and reinstall my old C5s. The Hue outdoor are among my most used devices and I'm really missing them.

I'm running 2.3.5.117 and still only 1 of 4 is staying connected. None are far from the hubs so likely connecting directly, and I only have a few zigbee devices that are repeaters anyway.

1 Like

I was able to successfully update the firmware on the one remaining Hue outdoor motion sensor that remains connected to the C8... the first few efforts failed with a note in the log to try to bring the sensor closer to the hub, so... (sorry for the blurry photo but you get the idea)