C8 Migration - Hub Failed to Restore

Agreed - I sent them the info - waiting to hear back.

Not only do I not understand how zigbee can run great for two weeks then just 100% die out of the blue, I really don't understand when I have multiple backups that I capture nearly every day, I cannot simply wipe the system clean and restore from my backup and get quickly running again. Doesn't work. I've tried absolutely everything I can think of and I cannot get the zigbee network running again. I've worked in a very technical field for 30 years so am no stranger to technical stuff, but I am totally stumped here.

And I thought I had troubles on Smartthings. I REALLY want to use HE because it is so much more flexible and easy to work with than ST, but when 99% of my 50+ devices are zigbee, and zigbee keeps completely failing for no apparent reason, it's super frustrating. I had a C7 for a couple weeks using the same devices and it never failed like this. Shame on me going to a brand new released product, but the C8 literally came out just after I bought the C7, so I figured I'd start with the C8 instead of the C7 (specifically since it has external antennas). Bad decision in hindsight.

Rant certainly not targeted at you, but at the situation - a rant nonetheless.

Thanks

I think a rant (or two) at this point is pretty much well-deserved. And I know I'm not the target, no worries. (Or if I am, then at least I can pretend I'm smart enough to have developed the C8 hub on my own.) :wink:

Frankly your situation scares me a little - my C8 is running mostly issue free aside from a couple Hue outdoor motion sensors that won't stay attached. If my C8 went sideways like yours, WAF would hit negative numbers within about five minutes, and I have no interest in spending hours tilting at home automation windmills trying to troubleshoot something like what you're experiencing.

Thanks, I appreciate the understanding - ya, it has been a REALLY rocky transition from ST, where I thought I was getting away from problems. Honestly these issues have been far worse than anything I ever experienced during several years on ST. When it works, HE is great - I really love the flexibility! However, when you have instability to this level, it makes me want to throw it off a cliff and go back to ST. After as much time and effort I've put into this, I REALLY don't want to go back to ST, but this is honestly making ST look super stable in comparison. All the tech in the world quickly loses its allure when it won't stay working. Again, shame on me for going with a newly released product.

Also guilty as charged, kinda "twin-ish," as I moved from ST to HE around the time the C7 was released w/the new 700 z-wave chip, and that was a rocky start as well. The new stuff is the hardest stuff.

I'm confident HE will sort this out, they are very focused/dedicated/smart, and hopefully it will be sorted soon. I know my hopes and dreams are not too much help for folks like you in the short term, but I do think that you'll end up having more fun and being happier w/your home automation here with Hubitat. I know that's been the case for me.

You can consider that a money-back guarantee. If you aren't fully satisfied with Hubitat, I will fully refund any money that you have ever given me. :smiley: :wink:

1 Like

Thanks again - as I am completely down at this point, I have even considered resetting zigbee and re-pairing my 55 or so zigbee devices, though it would take hours as several are difficult to get hands on. But then I think, what if, after doing all that, this happens again (first time it happened was after about 15 hours of operation - this time it was about two weeks)? I would be far more frustrated than I am right now. My previous quick fix of going back to my C7 is no longer an option, as I returned it within my 30 day return window for a refund. So, I am completely stuck until someone smarter than me let's me know how I can get the zigbee network running again on my C8. I've literally tried everything I know of, and gotten nowhere.

1 Like

Thankfully support just got me going again, with these specific steps:

• Take a local backup, download it.
  • Do a restore from the migration backup, including Zigbee.
  • Restore again from the backup in step 1.

Fingers crossed zigbee will be more stable going fwd!

Thank you!

4 Likes

Did that button show up?

Yup! Thanks!

1 Like

I performed the network reset and brought both units to 2.3.5.113 before retrying the migration, but I still have the same failure. I have too many Z-wave and Zigbee devices to consider another method to migrate to C8. Is it possible the C8 is defective?
The C5 is meshed and is the master for determining MODE. Is there something else that may be unique with my setup?

The majority of us have had no issue with migration. The only real weirdness I saw with someone else with a failure during migration was because they had a huge sound file on the hub. Once they got rid of that and redid their cloud migration backup, it restored fine to the c8.....Show the actual error screen when you do the migration.

I do have several sound files on the C5. Is there a way to save those files off the C5 before I delete them?

One way: [RELEASE] File Manager Backup & Restore

Glad you've had some progress!

For the restore from migration backup, did you create a new migration backup or use the original one you had created?

1 Like

Should be able to use the original one in that scenario.

1 Like

I used the original cloud backup from my C7

1 Like

Do not know how I missed the excellent info regarding updating the Zigbee counter!! Mike M to the rescue again! :smiley:

I'm having the same problem. Just using Z-wave, not Zigbee, and my e-mail address doesn't have any special characters. I'm about to just send the C-8 back to Amazon and wait until things are a bit further along. One possible related fact is that my C-7 has a handful of devices stuck in the Z-Wave radio that can't be cleared out. I was actually hoping that the migration might help resolve that. Apparently not.

Unfortunately no, the migration will bring things across as they are on your C7.

But maybe the C-8 Z-wave chip would have a better chance of deleting them..? That's assuming there was really any update that would make it worth upgrading from my C-7. And, of course, assuming that the migration will ever work in the first place!

Beo