C7 Problems Drove Me Crazy

I have had a C5 for a very long time and it worked great. Decided to get the C7 when it was first released (Amazon Dec 2019) Problem after problem trying to migrate. Gave up and tossed the C7 in my cast-off pile. Resurrected it the other day and decided maybe bugs were worked out and it would work. Problem is it "sort-of worked" Things seem to pair then not respond etc. Have an Inovelli dimmer in the server room 4 ft from the C7. Will not pair. Reset switch 10+ times nothing. Inovelli says I need to undate firmware. What a pain in the A**. Decided to go back to C5. Decided to order a new C7 since I could always return it to Amazon. Came today and is working like it should. I first paired the 6 Inovelli switches/dimmers in literally seconds each.
Bottom line the first C7 was obviously bad but not dead. Fortunately I am retired and have time to redo all my devices and apps to the new C7. Don't know if there is anyway to return the 2019 version of C7.
Oh Well, got that off my chest. Whew.

There were no hardware changes except a reinforced micro-USB connector on later hubs, but there have been a ton of software updates since 2020 (the C-7 was released in summer of 2020, so I'm not sure what you bought in 2019 or if you just mis-remembered the year). Many of those were platform updates, but there's were at least two Z-Wave radio firmware updates, and the most recent one in particular seems to have been helpful for many.

So if you haven't already, I'd make sure you're up to date in both places:

• Settings > Check for Updates (2.3.2 is the latest as of my writing); and

• Settings > Z-Wave Details, where if you see a Firmware Update button, you are not up to date and should run it (this is not the "Update" button in the top right but rather one that would appear in the row of buttons along the table; if it's not there, you're either up to date or haven't updated to at least platform 2.3.1 yet)

One or both of these could easily explain the differences you see, or perhaps you accidentally got "ghosts" or something on the original (pretty easy with early firmware in my experience...) that didn't happen on the newer one but could be a problem for any network.

2 Likes

Sorry but I am looking at the order from Amazon dated 12/13/2019. This is the item in the order:

Hubitat Elevation Home Automation Hub (Model C-7) Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, Zigbee, Z-Wave, Lutron (Requires Lutron Smart Bridge Pro)

I did all the updates prior to trying to migrate the second time this week. I even did a soft reset and then updated all. Been doing this a long time obviously. Can't remember when I got the C5 but it was a real long time ago. Don't worry, I will just toss the old C7 and eat the $120. Spent many hours on this though.

Well, it's still true that the C-7 was not released until 2020, so whatever you ordered in 2019 wasn't that. :slight_smile:

In December of 2019, you probably got a C-5. If your Amazon order is showing that now, it's because the listing remained the same (ASIN-wise, or however they are associated) and the name was simply updated when the listing was stocked with the new models.

Still, not sure why you'd be having issues with the C-7 arter all the updates. You're probably well out of warranty at this point, but you could always submit a claim on support.hubitat.com just to see if they're still interested.

4 Likes

With all due respect, @bertabcd1234 is correct. The C-7 was released in the Summer of 2020. Pertinently, it hadn't passed FCC certification by 12/13/2019, so it is impossible that Hubitat Inc would have sold it via Amazon on that date.

This exactly!

1 Like

I should also add that you can easily see if you have a C-7 by looking at the printing on the bottom of the hub or going to Settings > Hub Details. I don't mean to doubt that you have one (or two), just that maybe you got it somewhere else at a later point. :slight_smile:

(and, hey, maybe it's closer to warranty?)

2 Likes

You are correct. I just realized I may have bought the C7 directly from Hubitat and the 2019 purchase was the C5.. And I just confirmed from an old email I did buy it from Hubitat on Nov 13, 2020. When ever and from whoever I bought it from is academic. It didn't work when I got it in 2020 so it went into the junk basket.

Did you run the platform and z-wave radio updates indicated by @bertabcd1234 earlier in this thread?

Again, had it since 2020. Did not work then. I pulled it out of the junk basket and ran the updates. Still problems. Don't know what else to say. The new one works good. Will just migrate everything to it. Gives me something to do this weekend. Guess I should have just been happy with the C5 working good. Like my wife says why do you screw thing up that were working. I say because I can. :grinning:

1 Like

That would be easy if I had not stuck velcro to the bottom and it pulled the label off. I am sure it is a C7 that I bought from Hubitat. Have the email.

So I guess what you all are saying is there is no physical difference in the C7 I purchased in 2020 and the one I got today? Just updates and firmware upgrades?

Yes. Maybe one physical difference - the microUSB connector was reinforced, but that has no direct consequence on z-wave function.

As mentioned above, there are two things you should do on the old C7:

1. Go to Settings, check for update. If one is available, go ahead and perform the update
  2. Go to Settings, Z-Wave Details (once you have the latest platform update from item 1.)
    You will either see this screen:

Or one that has a button to update the Z-Wave Firmware (not the “update” button like on my screenshot…)
If there is a button to update the Z-Wave Firmware, then press it to bring you to the latest version. Lots of important fixes in the Z-Wave firmware versions that came out since you purchased your hub.

3 Likes

Double checked both today. I had not updated the zwave firmware until today. That has helped. I still have a problem including older switches that are upstairs but I can take the hub up there to include. The newer hub was able to include them. That's the reason I ask about the differences.
Thanks for all the responses. and both hubs were in the same location in my network rack.

1 Like

Looks like I spoke too soon. Almost none of the included devices are responding now. The ZWave firmware was updated and all my Inovelli switches included fine and worked. Running a ZWave repair shows numerous failed nodes. Any other ideas before this little box goes in the trash?

Odd that the new C7 hub could include those switches but the original C7 can’t…. Tagging @support_team.

see my recent post Fortunately all my critical devices and apps are still running on my C5.

1 Like

Here is an example of a scene containing 3 different manuf. All worked when included. Now none work individually or in the scene. What you see here is after the scene was activated.

Please post screenshots of your Z-wave Details page.

Generally speaking, on a C7 you should not be running a full Z-wave repair. If for some reason a repair is needed (it shouldn't be in most cases) you should run a repair per-node.

@billybobmc Can you post a copy of your z-wave details page?

1 Like