C7 and S2 security

Thanks a lot for the fast response.
Yeah, the only way I made it work is to include the simmer with S0 image
Then I was able to see pairing working, so LZW 41 goes as S0. Is it going to change any time soon? As I read above S0 is a really unwanted protocol.

But I have another weird behavior for LZW41, it always turns on slow, even if I send an on\off signal with the "on" button here.

The switch has parameter 1 set to 0, and it goes on instantly as I see on LED, but the bulb follows very slow.
Is there a way to fix it? Should I go check the driver? It takes like 3 seconds to toggle, it annoys so much.
Any advice, @Eric_Inovelli ?

Just got a C-7 and am starting to transition my zwave over to it. Before I get to far along I need answers to a few things. I've started with only 3 of my Aeotec Range Extender 6's. Upon including them I chose to include as secure (2 clicks instead of one on the device) because these are beaming and hopefully will be communicating with the locks.

The questions I have are:

1. On doing this inclusion I never had a pop up to select which version S2/S0/etc that has previously been described above as would occur? All 3 range extenders added almost immediately and no pop up occurred, in fact while watching the logs while including no logs occurred after the devices were discovered (I'm used to seeing the driver configuration logs after discovery in the logs on the C-5). Is this normal?
  2. I believe my device details page show the device was included S2?
    secure
  3. But the Zwave details page shows them as S0?

Also in these migrations I typically add 3 devices then do a zwave repair before adding more. This zwave repair for these 3 range extenders only has been running for over 30 minutes is this normal for the C-7 because I'm not used to it taking that long on the C-5?

The Aeotec RE6 only does S0.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1966/pics

Because of that, the Z-Wave API forced on Hubitat by the radio just charges right ahead and includes S0 because that’s the only pairing option. Aeotec RE7 supports S2. If the device supports S2, it also supports S0, so you get the dialog with choices, so you can uncheck everything and get “None” security.

But, it is possible to include the RE6 (and any S0 only device) with “None” security by using a Z-Wave USB stick as a secondary controller, with SiLabs’ PC Controller software.

Search this forum for how to include with no security.

Edit: here is one of many threads that, in the end, after wandering around, tells how to do it.

1 Like

I appreciate the response, but I'm not buying a zwave stick just to add devices to the hub, if this is required it wasn't provided when buying it. (I already understand I won't be able to use zooz 4-1's because of it, but I'm ok with didn't like them much anyway) Zwave was working fine on the C-5, I just figured I would take advantages of the new zwave tools, but if it's necessary to purchase other devices just to add devices to the hub, I'll just keep using the C-5.

1 Like

A common mistake: "S2: 128" means S0. :slight_smile: I don't have anything to add to the above aside from that you don't really need to include these with security to repeat for secure devices; they'll do that either way. You also shouldn't need a Z-Wave stick to pair these without security. From the manual, it looks like the normal inclusion mode, just pressing the button once, should do that.

3 Likes

That's what I was assuming also, which is why I pointed out clicking twice instead of once.

Isn't S0 the "not recommended" way to include devices or am I mistaken?

Ok, fine. You asked, I answered, giving the only way that community members have figured out how to do it. There is hope that, as SiLabs provides the next Z-Wave Radio firmware for the 700 chip, or as Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) gets more creative with workarounds, a Z-Wave USB stick won’t be needed.

Personally, I just shrugged my shoulders and bought the USB stick. Lets me get rid of ghost devices and also tweak the couple of Z-Wave 500 devices I have that want to pair S0.

The SiLabs SLUSB001A Z-Wave USB stick (Z-Wave 700 UZB-7) is $19.95 from Digi-Key. That’s where I got mine.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/SLUSB001A/336-5899-ND/9867108

2 Likes

Yes, I would avoid it if you don't need it (like for an old lock that you need security on but doesn't support S2).

4 Likes

@672southmain is speaking the truth here...

Because of SiLabs, Hubitat cannot allow "S-none" (unsecured) at this time. They could alter/recode the SDK provided by SiLabs but with all that is going on with LR, they would be just asking for trouble. Once the SDK settles down, I expect they would love to dive in and "fix" this.

Thus, there is no way to NOT use S0 for devices that support S0 but do not support S2 (which is most products.) There is a workaround, which involves the additional stick you don't want to buy. Everyone here is fine with your choice... I just hope you are too. :smiley:

S0 has been on the "not recommended" list for years. It does 3x the messaging. Which is equivalent to saying the max speed is not 100k but 33k. It eats more radio time per conversation.

2 Likes

Unless the device has separate secure versus non-secure inclusion methods. Many S0 devices do, and this is one. :slight_smile: So here, you don't really need anything extra. But of course, in general, this is the case; you're at the mercy of the device given the SDK limitation for hubs.

2 Likes

My experience is that it didn't work that way.

I have a lot of Aeon devices and all of them joined S0 even with a single click on the Action Button. Of course that's been months now... maybe the latest Platform is better.

Example:
An Aeon Recessed Door Sensor Gen 5:

after a single click.

Interesting! I only have specific experience with some Zooz devices (like the ZEN15) and the newly updated Invoelli bulb firmware, where all advertise this "feature" and work as expected. Could be some quirks with others, I suppose!

I was able to pair my MS6's that way though so maybe its a device specific thing.

As I said, time marches on.. and I did whine to staff about this.. it's a shock that they fixed it, right??

LOL.. not.

1 Like

Here is the differences in the Range Extender 6

ONE CLICK INCLUDE
secure3

TWO CLICK 'Secure" INCLUDE
secure

1 Like

I agree that is what I was expecting when I tried it.. and that isn't what I got at the time. For me, it was no big deal because I have 4 of those ZWave USB sticks.

I whined about it and now you have proof that it got fixed.. excellent. :smiley: But that "fix" is only for those devices that have a mechanism to pair secure and unsecure differently. Not all manufacturers have that.

3 Likes

One for each room.

Two of them are the Aeon Z-Sticks and are portable... so I have one for all rooms. :smiley:

2 Likes

I look over at my meager 3 sticks (UZB-7 & 2 Z-Stick+s) and sigh.. :pensive: still not worthy...

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.