C7 and S2 security

So what about the app "EDIT" screen that @SmartHomePrimer posted showing an option to change security from the app...how is that different? Thanks.

Something I worry about (me, not you) all the time... :wink:

2 Likes

I thought that is what it would do NEXT TIME it is paired via the smartstart provisioning process. Which doesn't happen until it is excluded or factory reset.

That would fit w/@bcopeland's statement.

But I can't say I've ever tried it/verified any of that. So I could be wrong. I'll try it/verify it next time I'm on my dev hub - I have some smartstart devices on there.

All I know is that I would be pretty pissed if I changed the checkbox and blammo - stuff starts getting changed on my device/hub...

But again, I don't normally leave devices in the provisioning list, so that wouldn't happen to me anyway. I think ;).

2 Likes

FWIW, I've tested the Ring gen2 extender extensively, and I am not able to reproduce the "doesn't report battery/mains status when paired insecurely" issue. Works every time for me.

3 Likes

Glad it works w/out security. I've passed mine on to @lewis.heidrick for testing and general abuse in his mesh. Giving it to Lewis was revenge for it NEVER (well except for once, very briefly) repeating any of my devices. :wink:

1 Like

It just didn’t like the Piano Light.

1 Like

I know, right? All that bitching about "when do I get to sit next to the piano?!" and "Why does he get to be in the living room all the time?!" bullxxxx. Sheesh...can't we all just get along?

:wink:

FWIW, I've included 30+ Z-wave S2 devices on my HE C-7 to date. 100% of the time the dialog box appeared showing the two S2 security checkboxes and I left them default checked.

My question, these devices are working perfectly fine with S2 enabled. Is there any value in going back and excluded and included them again with S2 unchecked (aka none)?

Not if you’re not having any trouble. There doesn’t seem to be any way to predict whether a given person is going to have trouble due to secure pairing, other than the fact that S0 security is always trouble. I would leave it alone.

4 Likes

@EdMcW thanks, that is where I was leaning, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1 Like

Yeah I have to second that - I was checking on a Ring Extender I just added last week and noticed I must have incorrectly typed in the pin or something as it had been included with no security. Tested by unplugging/plugging in and it responded to the power "outage" just fine. Was not able to test the battery report though - was at 100%. Anyway decided to re-pair it with security just in case. Either way seemed to be working for me.

1 Like

Which driver were you using at that time?

Just the standard HE one..

I am trying to do an association with 2 Inovelli Red Dimmers, V2 (LZW31-SN). When it didn't work I figured out that I had done one with zero security and one with S2. Since I want to use a RGBW bulb with them I understand I need zero security.

So I went into the S2 device in Hubitat and told it to remove it. It then came up saying it needed to forcibly remove it, which I accepted. When it was gone and I removed all the rules it was attached to I re-paired it. It took 2 times to find it, but when it did it skipped right past the first two steps where you pick the security level and then put in the DSK and went to the third and final step where I named it. When I went into the device it still had S2:128.

So I then went to Hubitat's Discover Devices, Z Wave Devices and excluded it that way. When I then did the include again it did come up with the screen asking me to pick the security level. I picked 0, unsecured, and made sure the others were not checked. When it went to the next screen that usually asks me for the DSK it was already filled in. So I moved on and got to the 3rd and final screen where it asked me to name it.

I then went into Devices and went into the device, but it is still showing up as S2:128! As I said at the start, since I want to put an RGBW bulb in there I think I need to be at zero security. So trying to un-pair the other switch and then re-pairing it at S2 doesn't seem like the way to go.

So how do I truly purge the S2 Red dimmer from the system so I can re-pair it and get it to accept my security settings?

Thanks,

Stuart

BTW, I went and excluded it again, waited a couple minutes and then did the include again. Here are some screen shots.

Picking Security Level Zero:

DSK screen with 5 number DSK already filled in:

Found Device Screen Shot:

Device Details showing S2 even after picking Security Zero 2nd time:

Oof you do NOT want S0!!! That is the older overly chatty protocol and not recommended if you can help it. Try it with all the boxes unchecked.

4 Likes

This exactly.

4 Likes

I'm trying to include a white color bulb (LZW41) and I was trying to let them all be unsecured. Wheh I was including my LZW31 dimmer they were unsecured as I deselected all the checkmarks. Now when I include the bulb I see it added as S0 and there is no option to select unsecured on a popup window as I saw with dimmers.
Whene I go to the bulb info I see

• zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • S2: 128
  • deviceId: 1
  • deviceType: 6
  • manufacturer: 798
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x98
  • secureInClusters: 0x86,0x85,0x59,0x72,0x73,0x26,0x33,0x70,0x27,0x5A,0x7A
  • firmwareVersion: 2.27
  • protocolVersion: 4.38
  • hardwareVersion: 1
  • serialNumber: 00001CD6BDB4D418
    @Eric_Inovelli. what would you recommend?

With different security settings group associations do not work.

Yeah the only way to get this to work with the LZW41 is to include your LZW31 as S0. Unfortunately there's no way at this time to include the LZW41 as non-secure :frowning: