C-8 Pro

I'm still on my C-7s. I've got my home setup to the point where it's working with only few issues coming up from time to time. The main thing I would still like to see are longer uptimes before needing a reboot (although recent updates have been very good in this regard)

Processing power isn't much of an issue for me as I'm also running hue/home assistant/node red/zigbee2mqtt and other typical home automation tools like grafana etc outside of HE. I rarely, if ever, need to reboot any of my other devices though unless I'm doing an upgrade or testing.

Like you, I'll reconsider a new HE if a new CPU comes out to justify the upgrade, (or I give my C7s away to family members :grinning:).

1 Like

The (relatively) small set-up (186 devices many of which are virtual and 105 apps) on my C-8 does OK most of the time. Occasionally it struggles with load. More RAM and a faster CPU is intriguing to me. But I was one of the early C-8 adopters. Eventually my zigbee mesh settled down and devices rarely drop off nowadays. It's not super broken, so I'm reluctant to fix it.

If I do bite the bullet, it will not be until after the dust settles a bit.

1 Like

Ordered one, to upgrade my Zigbee-centric C7.

Yes, I'm using Waveshare's Metal Case Gigabit PoE Splitter, 5V 2.5A Type-C Out (so that I can place my HE c8 where there is no convenient power supply) and then a Voltaic Systems Universal USB Battery Pack (to insulate my HE from power outages and risk of database corruption and failure to reboot).
DIY0216

2 Likes

Yeah, I though something like that should work. So why is the native PoE so important, then?

Myself, among others were having issues with the C8 over POE with an adapter. I tried the exact one you linked, as well as a couple others, and came up short. Long story short, the Z-Wave radio would more or less shut off after a while, rendering about half of my devices inoperable. A reboot would fix, but it was a ticking time bomb again until it quit. Running on the adapter provided with the hub, plugged into a UPS, solved those issues. I have Unifi POE switches, but if I recall, someone or some people with a different POE system were also having issues. If you care for a 'light' read, here is my thread with more details here. I know if you go digging, there are more threads as well.

Definitely would be interested if the C8 pro solves this issue, and allows the use of POE adapters again. Though, I wouldn't know for sure unless I upgrade and test in my environment. Might be worth doing, but I think I'll wait a bit and see how the launch of the C8 pro goes.

1 Like

They (launches) are always fun. :rofl: Experienced a lot at my former company. Even the easy ones are not that easy. :wink:

1 Like

Oh yeah! The bleeding edge of tech is always a fun thing to experiment with. Though, with a smart home, I don't want it to be an experiment, at least not always. I want my automations to work as expected, without issue. My Hubitat experience thus far has been mostly that. Aside from a couple freak issues, most of the unpredictability has been my own tinkering, which I can live with :joy:

Oh yes...there is ample evidence here in the forum (and mea culpa!) that we can be our own worst enemies... :wink:

4 Likes

I feel heard. LOL Flashback to my post from August 2023. :rofl: New Improved Hubitat Hub

3 Likes

Maybe but be aware that there are different frequences for z-wave in the US and in Europe, as far as I remember. Not shore wich frequence UK have though.

You are correct. Different regions of the world do use different Z-Wave frequencies. Fortunately, since the C-7 hub was released, all countries are supported with the same Hubitat SKU. The 700 and 800 series Z-Wave radios found in the C7 and C8/C8Pro hubs respectively, support multiple frequencies based on the country selected during the initial setup process of the hub. I believe the only real difference between Hubitat SKUs for different countries is the bundled power supply.

2 Likes

yes but you don't need to worry about that with the hub, since the 700 series its one chip that does them all. You just select your location in the hub settings which will select the correct one.

For end devices its based on firmware

2 Likes

I use USB -> POE adapters here on my hubs and my Ubiquiti gear doesn't interfere at all.

1 Like

868MHz in UK same as EU

1 Like

I ordered one yesterday to replace a C7. It's already out for delivery today!

3 Likes

Did you order direct from Hubitat? Or from Amazon?

I ordered direct from Hubitat within about 10 minutes of the site going live, and I have yet to receive a shipping notification. Thus, I am just curious what process you used to order your C-8 Pro? Thx

4 Likes

Worried you won't be first ...? :wink:

3 Likes

Can the first person to get one up and running post what the free memory is after migration. I'm interested to know if there's a higher starting value. Ta

I've seen this mentioned a bunch of times, but never with evidence.

Seems unlikely that a relatively expensive commercial-grade PoE switch would cause problems, or not fully comply with the PoE standards.

I have a UDM Pro SE powering my C7 with some cheap Chinese POE splitter that cost about as much as a Happy Meal, and it works just fine. If anything, I'd expect cheapo POE splitters to be the problem, not Ubiquity devices.

Of course, this is just a single case and doesn't prove anything one way or another.

2 Likes