C-8 Internet Connectivity After Disconnect

My switch updated overnight which the C-8 is attached to via ethernet.

After completion the hub is no longer able to reach the internet, but is reachable internally.

Nothing is being blocked on my firewall and all other devices are fine.

Only error after is:
[app:66] (This is Google Home) 2023-03-08 05:17:13.793 AM [error] tokenResponse Error: null, retry count exceeded, giving up for now.

UPDATE: It is DNS failing (on the device)

Clarification: It is not my networking stack

1 Like

Is the switch connected to a router? Is it a managed switch? Did the switch port configuration change for the port the hub is connected to? If it is dumb switch check your router settings.

Your router should be assigning DHCP addresses to your network devices. You need to check the DHCP settings and make sure there is a proper DNS address being assigned to your devices.

My networking stack is fine. DNS is functioning properly in the network- just not on the C-8.

Try going into network settings on the C8 and overriding the DNS settings. You may have to reboot. Then do a speed test and see if it works.

1 Like

Tagging @gopher.ny from the Hubitat Team. This issue seems to somewhat common amongst the C8 users. There are a couple of other threads discussing it as well.

1 Like

I will test repeatability shortly by rebooting, confirming connectivity, then killing the port and re-enabling the port on the switch side (simulating loss of connectivity on eth0).

Can confirm it IS a DNS issue at least on the C-8.

With the addition of Wi-Fi in the C-8 it could be something simple due to the added interface which was not seen before with a single eth0.

1 Like

Please press the network reset switch on the bottom of the hub with a toothpick or paperclip for 7 seconds (the only round hole out of all the square ones) then do a DHCP reservation within your router. If you've already done the reservation do the network reset only.

Would you suggest doing this when there is no cloud connectivity, or when there is?

I'd recommend it for any network issue as the first part of diagnostics.

Ok, I'll give it a whirl.
Right now, for mine, there is cloud connectivity.
I'll try pressing that button for 7 seconds.

If you are already on DHCP it wont do much, it just clears the network configs and resets it back to DHCP, then reboots. Its easier than trying to tell people how to check all the network settings they possibly have messed with though, just reset and poof its magically fixed.

1 Like

Hasn't just rebooting the hub fixed this for some of the other folks?

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

yes but unfortunately as far as i can tell there is no easy way to detect this and it can go on for hours before you get some sort of alert or glance at the logs and see your cloud integrations are failing..

Well, there is cloud connectivity after the button push.
But there was cloud connectivity before as well.
I could get it back just by rebooting.
Alas, now my Hue motions don't work.

EDIT: I TAKE IT BACK. IT WORKS. JUST TOOK A LITTLE TIME. SORRY.

1 Like

try changing the dns to static entries.. i think i accidentially did that to mine that is why it has stuff filled in the box and that is why i cannot reproduce it now even rebooting my router.

as for the hue motion weird, lots of people having issues with them.. luckly my one has been trouble free.

See revised post. They do work. Took a little time. Sorry.

Change to what?
The same as the router?
I'm in somewhat muddy waters.

Yes that would work fine, and what it gets from the DHCP anyway.