C-8 Internet Connectivity After Disconnect

Well, after power cycling the modem and router, I get this, as usual:
Perhaps I'll mess around with the hub's DNS settings, but I'm in uncharted waters.

static dns entries

HOLD ON....it came back without rebooting and without messing with the hub's dns settings!

I'm going to see if I can do it again, lol.

1 Like

Can't do it, still connected to the cloud! How about that?
Other than pressing the button, I noticed that 2.4ghz wifi was disabled on the router, not that it has anything to do with anything, since I'm using the ethernet cable.

I'll try it again periodically and check every morning, at the least, to see if the issue comes back.

1 Like

I also deleted the three mobile devices I had and created a new one. Have no idea if that had an effect.

That should not cause any problems unless for some reason the hub was confused and trying to connect on Wi-Fi with the ethernet cable plugged in. That seems unlikely....

Dude, relax. You are the one who is off base. I never suggested that DHCP itself wasn't fully working. I said to check the DNS addresses that DHCP was providing. DHCP could assign an IP address but not assign a DNS address. The hub would be reachable on the local network, but would not be able to get out to the internet. We do this all the time with certain DHCP scopes for users that don't require internet access or even local name resolution.

Woke up this morning and the hub was cloud connected.
Power cycled modem and router and it was still connected.
There was no cloud backup. I thought it'd be daily like local, but default is apparently weekly.
That's a subject for another thread.

I'm going to credit @rlithgow1 and his button push for the solution. Unless of course it stops working again. :slight_smile: Or, perhaps, @gopher.ny did something behind the scenes. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can choose from other options for your cloud backup - you aren't just stuck w/ weekly.

I was considering tightening up that schedule, but once these current bumps get smoothed out (zigbee network issues in my case), I think weekly will be a good steady-state -- that should give me a healthy amount of reach-back in case I need it.

In the meantime, I'm just being pretty aggressive creating my own backups as I experiment to get things settled down.

1 Like

I do daily db backups to my laptop, which can be an unlimited number, as well.
I'm thinking there's a limit to the number of cloud backups and there's the possibility of backing up a crappy setup, so that all you have is crappy backups, if the interval is too tight.
But, I'm going to start another thread and get this one back on track.

I believe I saw 5 was the limit for cloud backups.

2 Likes

Dropped connectivity issue is on the radar, right there at the top next to zigbee issues.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.