Built in Aeotec MultiSensor 7 driver might have a bug?

Looks like they changed this after the pre-release they sent me and certified with… I’ll be adding this to the parameters so it can be changed..

1 Like

I hope it's appropriate to post this here, but I just want to throw it out there... These Aeotec multi 7's are bad. On paper they looked great, and I was anticipating them for over a year. Now that I got my hands on a few, it's just more problems, just like the 6's.
I wanted to like these because I think the Recessor kit looks really slick, combined with the ability to mains power. After patching up my ceilings from the three Recessor kits I had installed with multi 6's, I smartly installed the 7's only temporarily with double sided tape. Yes I've updated to the most recent firmware, and what I'm finding is these units sometimes seem to be stuck in a sleep mode and don't fire off motion events. Once they're awake they seem to work just fine, but if I leave a room for over a day, and then come back, the automation to turn on the lights doesn't work immediately, and I have to wait at least 30 seconds or so before the Multi 7 starts sending messages.
With that said, I'll just throw this out there. Someone, I forget who, turned me on to NYCE motion devices, and yes those have been rock solid performers. The ceiling mounted motion sensor may not recess like Aeotec's, but they're small enough it's really not a huge concern.
Unless I just have something configured totally wrong, I am marking this product a dud and I'm done with it.
...And I've been testing two of these 7's, they both act the same so its not a bad unit...

2 Likes

These Aeotec multi 7's are bad.
I could not agree more. The Euro model I have identifies as an energy monitor switch. When I select multisensor 7 it provides the temp and humidity, I cannot get any other features to work.

If connected to the Aeotec smart things hub it is capable of this.
You can configure how often its sensors will be reported, the sensitivity of your motion sensor, and when motion sensor will timeout and allow for retrigger.

1. Find your MultiSensor 7 in your SmartThings dashboard.
  2. Tap on your MultiSensor 7 to open the device page.
  3. At the top right, tap More Options (3 dots).
  4. Tap Settings.
  5. You can configure these 3 settings:
  • Motion Sensor Delay Time - Allows you to set the timeout of motion sensor.
  • Motion Sensor Sensitivity - Sets how far/sensitive your motion sensor is.
  • Report Interval - Sets the timeframe in which all other sensors are reported (temperature, humidity, light, UV).

The blame for these capabilities not being available must point directly at Hubitat for sloppy coding. Aeotec announced this item months ago, It was listed as compatible by Hubitat and Aeotec and Vesternet in the UK. I have encountered the same issues. My question to Hubitat is "should it really be down to independent hobbyists to correct / modify / improve the sub standard drivers provided. The industry is being held back because of non co-operation between the manufacturers. Last month seen a big player in the UK go bust (Aurora) while Tuya devices and wifi devices proliferate.

Update: I updated my hub and updated the Z-wave and it now identifies as a multi 7, the facilities available are just the same as they were after I changed it to a multi 7 manually. Just as described by others. Temp works, humidity works (so does the sonoff for 1/4 the price though) motion is sporadic and frankly unacceptable. Lux works if the delay is acceptable to you, UV and vibration forget it, it might as well not have these features.

This is unfortunate to hear. I was following @guywmartin’s posts over the last year

I was hopeful these would solve the issues I have with my MS6’s in ceiling recessors. I almost bought a few over the summer but now glad I didn’t.

Any idea on timeline?
As you can appreciate I have paid £65 / $65 for an Aeotec multisensor 7 that I now need to make the difficult choice of (return as it is not fit for purpose) or (keep and hope Hubitat unleash the power this device has). Changing the temperature refresh is also important to me as I plan to use this to control a TRV.

1 Like

The answer is and always has been basic zwave tool driver
My 5. 7's have bee working faultless for nearly a year using this to set them up.

I was curious of the same. I was hoping it would have been in the last two firmware updates but it hasn’t made it.

Update: So I have updated the hub, installed basic z-wave tools, took the time to figure out how to use the tools driver and poked my desired values into the multisensor 7. I replaced the batteries with the USB lead and it now seems to be pretty usable. Much respect to garyburchell for putting me onto zwave tool driver and bcopeland for pointing the way with a settings guide.

1 Like

I’m also working with Aeotec support on the software failure (85) error. Talked with support and provided more in depth debug logs from a driver they provided me and sent the info over. Will post back more when I have more info.

I have 60 of these babies to set up next month for a project I am working on. Anyone tried the parameter deployment tool for this? hoping it will save me many hours!

Did you opt for flir or not flir? Is there a performance difference or just battery life?

I’m not sure what flir is to be honest. I run all mine on mains power through POE.

Parameter 1 is beam or not (FLIR). We will be running mainly powered like you but a few battery where that is not viable. I guess experiment wins. Thanks for responding anyway.

Let us know which one you end up going with. I didn’t realize there was a difference.

the latest firmware has introduced this bug, older firmware doesn't have this fault

firmware ZW_MS7_EU_V1.3.7.1063.gbl does not have this fault and has been working for me for 8 months, tried ZW_MS7_EU_V1.4.1.2055.gbl and instantly got the software 85 fault rolled back and fault has gone.

2 Likes

@bcopeland would you please review all the available parameters that can be set and include them as preferences to the default driver? I’m also looking to be able to calibrate the humidity setting against a NIST handheld humidity sensor.

1 Like

that would get my vote @bcopeland if you can. Appreciate your help.

I found this thread because I'm looking at getting a couple of the MS7 for my house. I'm slowly moving away from wi-fi and cloud-based devices/services in favor of a truly local ecosystem. I like these units because of the combination of sensors you get for the price point.

It sounds like the built-in driver for these is sub-standard, which is unfortunate. I see mention of "zwave tool driver" but have no idea what this is.

Bottom line questions:

1. Are these worth the money?
  2. How much hassle are they to set up and properly configure?