Aeotec Multisensor 7 Coming?

https://fccid.io/2AOGIZWA024

I wonder if these will include a microwave sensor so they could detect motion outside? Maybe that's the "seventh" sensor? Wishful thinking.

1 Like

Hey, check it out, they aeotec just posted the support page and technical specs in April. Hopefully coming out soon.

1 Like

Just letting you know Aeotec Multisensor 7 is now available in the EU Aeotec MultiSensor 7 (ZW024) ultrasmart.pl

2 Likes

Very cool once they become available in the US I will buy one to try. I agree with others that the MS6 are garbage but I like the in ceiling recessor concept that no other motion has - I have two installed. Good news is the new MS7 is the same size and will fit in my existing mounts:

2 Likes

Hey folks,

A quick update on MS7 - through working with the Aeotec Field Tech Chris Cheng, I was able to acquire 24 new MS7s to replace the 24 MS6s in my Z-wave network (running on a C7 hub). All but 8 of these MS7s are mains-powered and I added all of them without S2 auth.

Here is the current situation (for those interested):

The Good:

I'm happy to report that going to the MS7s has completely removed the problems of the MS6s being super chatty and sending a bunch of NOP Power messages, which were causing regular 'Z-Wave network busy' messages on my C7 hub.

Alexa control and timed automations seem to work much more smoothly now (no surprise, as a clogged network can introduce painful delays).

The Challenging:

I'm working through an issue now with Hubitat support and Chris at Aeotec regarding several of these new MS7s getting 'stuck' in either motion active or motion inactive. And by 'stuck', I mean absolutely not registering motion active or inactive despite waving my arms wildly in front of them. They tend to stay in this state for hours, as evidenced by my Kitchen sensor reporting motion this morning at 10:24 am, despite the fact that our family had been up and moving around the kitchen long before that time.

So, bottom line, a bit of a mixed bag right now... motion-activated automations are still problematic when the primary reason for the sensors (motion) is not working reliably... I've tried a previous trick I used with the MS6s, which was throwing the mains-powered sensors a 'configure()' command, but that doesn't seem to unwedge them.

I'll update this thread as we continue to work through the issues. Thanks.

8 Likes

Good to know. Please keep us updated on this progress. I have a bunch to replace as well but I’d prefer to wait u til the bugs are worked out.

1 Like

I just ordered some from Homecontrols.com as they had them listed in stock. They sent me an email saying they hoped to ship them by 1/1/2022. :roll_eyes:

Buzzing for this, waiting for the price to drop a little then going to buy one :grinning:

Just bought 5 to replace my 6's hoping they work alittle better :pray:

Hey everyone,

Latest updates:

1. I'm tracking what looks like a fairly serious threshold reporting issue. Lux and Humidity threshold reporting seems to be intermittently not working. I can set the LED colors to different colors to show when a Lux or RH% update is being sent by the device, and, with humidity, for example, I can turn the shower on in my bathroom and feel it getting more humid, but the device never flashes to send an update, however, when you call a refresh(), it accurately reflects the correct humidity. Reporting this one to Chris at Aeotec today, since it appears it's a firmware issue in the MS7 itself - the hub never sees a report.

2. I need to drop my Zniffer on my network again, because I'm still seeing some intermittent network delays and the occasional Z-wave network busy message, plus I have one device reporting transmission occasionally in the Z-wave logs that has no associated name in the Hubitat database. Using a Z-stick with PC Controller doesn't find this 'ghost' node anywhere, so not sure where to go with this.

I'm hoping that Aeotec can fix at least #1 with a firmware update... I'm on firmware v 1.01.

2 Likes

I wouldn't touch these with a 10ft pole until it is verified the issues are fixed.

They charge a premium for their devices. The least one should expect is that they actually work correctly...

5 Likes

I don't disagree with you at all - our case was one where we have a ton of the recessors with holes in our ceilings, so in an attempt to salvage the WF, I figured I'd give these all a shot...

And, in the spirit of community, at least update y'all with what I'm finding... :laughing:

4 Likes

Yeah, if you recess them there isn't any other good option. I'm hoping they will get the kinks worked out eventually.

My comment was more around "never buy a product today for what it MAY do in the future". :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Simple question - how's the motion/detection on these? Better than the MS6?

Therapy rant:
My MS6 works "ok" on usb power seems slow in reporting vs other options but the one that always killed me was the motion sensing was horrible on it. A very tight cone and maybe (maybe!) about 6-8ft of detection (and I think I'm being generous with that).
I've done many "tests" with Zooz/Hue/smartthing/MS6 and other motion sensors side by side and I can't tell you how many times the MS6 was the slowest or 100% missed every walk/armwave action while every other device functioned basically as expected.
Sorry for the rant, apparently that one's been weighing on me and I needed to tell someone... I feel better now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No worries on the rant - one of my favorites too, and generally the one that drives the WF through the floor. :laughing:

So, I can say that when these are not locked up (see earlier in this thread), and presence detection is turned off (Param 2 set to 0, Param 3 set to 30 second), and sensitivity, Param 4, set to max (11), I've seen very fast response (faster than the MS6's for sure).

The challenge in my case is that a ton of my automations are based on both motion and lux, and with threshold reporting not working reliably or consistenly (for either lux or humidity, the only two I currently care about), I'll inevitably walk into a room, see the motion trigger, and the lux value will be wildly off until I trigger a refresh, at which point my lights will come on (because of how I structured the rule in RM).

Obviously, not a good thing....

1 Like

In the continuing update saga....

Aeotec's field rep confirms that threshold has issues in the v1.01 firmware release. He says he can't reproduce my 'stuck' sensor issues, but asked if Param 5 (report type) was left at the default of 2 (send both Notification and Binary Sensor report).

It turns out that after I checked, @bcopeland's MS7 driver sets this to 0 (Notification report), so I used the Basic Z-Wave Tool to change this to 1 (Binary sensor report only) on three of the MS7's I've seen 'lock up'... I'll let this run for a day or so and see if that makes any difference.

2 Likes

Would you consider a pile price?

What would I consider a good price? Oh, I don't know... Maybe around $35USD, maybe $40USD. Kind of like:

or

(although that one is hard to find these days - love the ones I have though. Can get them on Ali express - Haozee or Neo Coolcam version, they are the same - for ~$32/ea)

And... don't do this out there if you're watching... unless you want the sensor to just stop sending anything... not sure if it's an interaction with the C7 hub or not, but binary reports seem to lock everything up for good. Back to Notification only and back to the Aeotec rep....

I think I should write a book after all of this 'My Journey to IoT Nirvana, and Why My Wife Killed Me'... :laughing:

1 Like