Built in Aeotec MultiSensor 7 driver might have a bug?

I was curious of the same. I was hoping it would have been in the last two firmware updates but it hasn’t made it.

Update: So I have updated the hub, installed basic z-wave tools, took the time to figure out how to use the tools driver and poked my desired values into the multisensor 7. I replaced the batteries with the USB lead and it now seems to be pretty usable. Much respect to garyburchell for putting me onto zwave tool driver and bcopeland for pointing the way with a settings guide.

1 Like

I’m also working with Aeotec support on the software failure (85) error. Talked with support and provided more in depth debug logs from a driver they provided me and sent the info over. Will post back more when I have more info.

I have 60 of these babies to set up next month for a project I am working on. Anyone tried the parameter deployment tool for this? hoping it will save me many hours!

Did you opt for flir or not flir? Is there a performance difference or just battery life?

I’m not sure what flir is to be honest. I run all mine on mains power through POE.

Parameter 1 is beam or not (FLIR). We will be running mainly powered like you but a few battery where that is not viable. I guess experiment wins. Thanks for responding anyway.

Let us know which one you end up going with. I didn’t realize there was a difference.

the latest firmware has introduced this bug, older firmware doesn't have this fault

firmware ZW_MS7_EU_V1.3.7.1063.gbl does not have this fault and has been working for me for 8 months, tried ZW_MS7_EU_V1.4.1.2055.gbl and instantly got the software 85 fault rolled back and fault has gone.

2 Likes

@bcopeland would you please review all the available parameters that can be set and include them as preferences to the default driver? I’m also looking to be able to calibrate the humidity setting against a NIST handheld humidity sensor.

1 Like

that would get my vote @bcopeland if you can. Appreciate your help.

I found this thread because I'm looking at getting a couple of the MS7 for my house. I'm slowly moving away from wi-fi and cloud-based devices/services in favor of a truly local ecosystem. I like these units because of the combination of sensors you get for the price point.

It sounds like the built-in driver for these is sub-standard, which is unfortunate. I see mention of "zwave tool driver" but have no idea what this is.

Bottom line questions:

1. Are these worth the money?
  2. How much hassle are they to set up and properly configure?

I have quite a lot of these now. they work well in my experience when powered. on battery they are not as responsive but that may be because I have not put so much effort into the config.
The defaults seem to be less than helpful with the auto setup so I have a table of the settings that need a tweak. This is where the zwave tool driver comes in handy. you can use it to report back and set the actual parameters. some are non-trivial and you need a bit of binary to figure them out. I won't explain the use of the zwave tool badly here as there are good explanations elsewhere but look up "basic zwave tool" to be edified. Hope it helps.

This is good to know! I actually ended up buying a couple of the Zooz 4-in-1 multisensors, for a little over half the cost of the Aeotec MS 7, and I've been happy with them so far. I may still get one of the Aeitec for locations where power is easily accessible. Thanks!

Since my last post I've still left one MS7 up in a bathroom just to test further. I've used the Zwave tool to modify as I need, no issue there. I previously reported the device as being "sleepy" but further evaluation narrows down the issue a bit further. Sometimes when the MS7 should be sending a motion active alert, it will send temp, humidity, lux, basically everything BUT a motion active. I find it does this maybe once every few days; I'll walk into the bathroom and the lights won't turn on. I'll check logs immediately and find the device did awake but sent out everything except the motion. Returning to the room, the MS7 will properly report motion active, and a minute later not active. This is not a driver issue on HE, but a firmware problem on the device.

Issues in reporting motion would seem to be a pretty significant issue for a sensor such as this. I suppose of you're not using the sensor for room entry, it's not as much of an issue, but still.

I agree, its a total deal breaker. Since the device wakes up and sends reports for all other attributes except motion makes me believe this issue is correctable via firmware. The device is waking up at the right time, and its sending data, just not the right data.

You should contact Aeotec support directly and work with them on that issue. I can’t say I’m having the same with any of my devices to be honest but they’re secondary motion sensors so I am not sure if notice even if I was.

I have not experienced this on powered config but have on battery. Some of the settings on this unit seem to be unnecessarily complex and to interact unexpectedly. If you get anywhere with support on this please update us.

Jesus, how am I just discovering this tool? After a rollback to 3.7 due to the (85) frozen active error, this MS7 is actually usable for motion after reducing the agonizingly long inactive trigger timeout and motion re-trigger times. I am using it in the kitchen and the thing was causing my rules to keep the lights on for a ridiculous amount of time. Changed it using the tool from the default 240 sec to 45 sec with a 15 sec retrigger. Chef's kiss. Thanks for mentioning it.