[Beta] Wink Relay - LAN Integration

I was wondering if this might be the solution for the groundhog day situation... Or at least the root cause, but I have no clue if we can apply this to the relay at all

1 Like

That's what I ended up doing. I love the form factor and the idea behind the Wink Relays, but the devices were just too finicky for me. And once the groundhog day issue hit one of my Wink Relays, I ended up putting them back in a drawer and changed over to tablets.

--

I've seen a handful of people try to recover the devices, but I don't think anyone has been successful. One user indicated that the issues start to occur when the internal storage starts to fail; that it has a limited number of writes and goes into a failsafe mode.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Josh

Can you recommend me any configuration for the tablets? I have seen it's not easy to find wall mount for tablets and the tablets fitting in those wall mounts. In addition any internal relay ( cheap and reliable) would be fantastic... Thanks and sorry to bother you with this request. If I can reduce the $120 budget per tablet, it would be marvelous

If you want decent performance, I don’t think you’re going to be able to go much lower than that.

Fire tablets tend to be a popular choice as they're a good balance of power / performance - a good 'bang for the buck' if you will. You can often find the 10" Fire tablets for <$100 during sales (like Prime Day, Black Friday, etc). And the 8" for less than that.

The following thread has some tips on hardware:

thankssssssssssssss

1 Like

Have you seen this device?

https://www.amazon.com/screen-android-Smarthome-Controller-gateway/dp/B07WR6RQQP/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=HANOVO&qid=1604077119&sr=8-9

Hello there

I spent few days trying to investigate the best and cheapest option for me to replace the relays.... this is what I did

1.) I removed the front panel of the wink relay and kept the back of the relay ( to get a 5v source )
2.) I bought 2 sonoff basic devices ( $6 dollars each)
3>) I tasmotized the devices to connect them to Hubitat.... It tooks several hours readading watching videos but I managed to doit with a serial board ( $8 value in amazon). The sonoff devices work really really well after they are integrated to Hubitat.
4.)I installed the 2 sonoff devices in the wall box where I had originally the relay in parallel to the already mentioned back of the wink relay.
5.) I used an old samsung galaxy Tab A6 and removed the back of the tablet cover
7.) I took 5v power from the wink relay piece and connect it to the tablet
6.) I screwed the back of the tablet using the same screw holes used for the original Wink relay
7.) I put back the tablet into the back cover ( already screwed to the wall)
8.) I connected the tablet and installed Full kiosk
9.) Here the picture of job finished.

The white wall cover you see in the picture is not at all related to this installation.
You can still see some old marks in the wall form the previous wink relay installation... I need to work on them.... not yet finished.
I am pretty satisficed with the result... I accept ideas, criticism, etc

Overall the cost was as follow

Tablet : $50 to $75 Several options on eBay and Amazon
Sonoff off: $6 per unit 2 units
Serial board: 8 dollars in Amazon
Full kiosk license: $8
In total less than $100

Thanks Josh for your good advises. I have a question related to the full kiosk... The motion detection is working well during the day but very difficult to wake up the tablet at night,..... I cannot find any option to wake up the tablet by touching the screen.... How do you guys solve the issue to turn of the screen at night? Thanks

3 Likes

This looks awesome, was it easy to setup the screen? I just ordered a relay and look forward to setting it up.

1 Like

Pretty easy. Hubitat dashboard and CSS. Takes a bit of time to make it look as you need it.

1 Like

Hello to all,

Another Wink refugee here. I would like to thank @josh for the awesome app, I made the migration without any issues so far but didn't log in wink or do any updates as I absolutely refuse to agree to their new therms also asked them to remove all my device and delete my account. Is there any know major flaw to not updating?

Also my main reason to write here is, I would like to know If there is a way to add humidity % offset as for temp? my relays always had a problem whit both that was supposed to be fixed by wink updates but it never happened.

Thanks

1 Like

Just some resolution related stuff mentioned above. Not a show stopper I would think.

You could probably add something into the Hubitat driver to handle it there.

Hey Josh. Seeking some closure with my Wink Relay re-purposing.
I have this outside in my Tiki bar.
It works great!
Except...
Whenever it reboots, it reverts to a state that is somewhere between where I first started (with root access and downloading the software, etc.) and present (updated app)
I go through and re-download the app needed to make it work (updated version), uninstall and install new version, delete software I dont want (which was all done previously), and run the application, re-assign buttons, etc.
All works great, until it reboots again.
Any ideas as to what is going on?

Khaaaaan!
Well, i am well versed in getting everything back to status quo, so I will venture on

1 Like

I've migrated from Wink about 8 months now and loving it. I have 1 Wink Relay that I attempted to convert but having issues (I realize I'm late tot he game with this!). I followed the instructions at the beginning of post but get stuck rooting my relay. I factory reset the relay first. All goes well until steps 16 & 17 of the rooting process...

All of the app installs end in error except for the Nova launcher. Regarding assistive touch, it ends in error as step 17 suggests but no icon appears. I fear that because I'm late in the game all of these apps have evolved to versions that no longer work on an old relay. Can someone post all their app versions that work or alternatives to what they are using to see if the required apps are still available?

There's been a few variations of apps that work mentioned or linked throughout the thread...

Thanks Josh! I was able to install the rooting process apps from your wink.boshdirect.com link successfully. However, my success was short lived. Perhaps this is because I'm such a noob with device operating systems. The wink software required several updates/reboots as per step 21 in the rooting process...

1. You will be prompted to update the software. There may be two or more updates. Run through all of them and set the Wink Relay up as if you intend to use it for Wink related purposes.

I see the relay boot to it's normal screen. But, the next step in the process is where I falter...

1. Once you have updated the Wink Relay software and are seeing the Wink dashboard, tap the Assistive Touch icon on the screen, and then tap the Home button on the display.

All I see are the wink relay buttons and a log of wink events (stuff from the old wink days). There are no icons visible from within the Wink app in which the relay automatically boot into.

How do I see the icons of the software I installed, such as the assistive touch, after the Wink Relay software is configured? I'm hoping this is just something simple.

Assistive Touch has dozens of versions and seems to get more every day; the ones that work on Android 4.3 are tricky to find. The one I used last time I configured my Relay was this one:

Assistive Touch Easy Touch 2 (v 1.0.5) works for Android 2.3 & up: Assistive Touch - Easy Touch 2 for Android - APK Download (apkpure.com)

Thanks for the details about Easy Touch 2. I was able to install v2.3 of Assistive touch and v62 of Chrome. But, as you can see from my post on steps 20/21 of the rooting process. I'm still a little stuck trying to get past the Wink relay app.

Success! Chalk it up to being the noob. I re-thought what I did and read almost all the previous posts. I realized during the root processes that I did not "Open" the installed apps after they installed. I was prompted to open after each was installed and chose "Done" instead. So, I started over from scratch from a clean factory reset. For reference, I downloaded the following...

Rooting Process:
Chrome 62.0.x (from footer of wink.boshdirect.com)
Assistive Touch 2.3 (from footer of wink.boshdirect.com)
Nova Launcher 5.7.x (APK Mirror)
KingRoot 4.9.6 (APK Mirror)

STWinkRelay APK (top of this post/wink.boshdirect.com)