[BETA RELEASE] Denon AVR Driver

If your change makes it more reliable, please post.

Did your changes help with the connection reliability? I've just switched to this driver from the OEM as that was losing connection every so often and I was hoping to be able to make this one more reliable .

If your tweaks to the driver helped, I would be grateful for the details

Thanks

Hi! I`m using an old AVR-X2000, and it has a source - CD - that I canĀ“t access through the available options. Is there some way to add it to the driver to make it selectable?

The information below is displayed at the device page, and the unacessible input is the input 1.

• currentInput : {1=Fire TV 4K}
  • inputSources : {11={code=SERVER, name=Input 11}, 1={code=CD, name=Fire TV 4K}, 2={code=TV, name=Input 2}, 3={code=BD, name=Input 3}, 4={code=SAT/CBL, name=Input 4}, 5={code=DVD, name=Input 5}, 6={code=IRADIO, name=Input 6}, 7={code=TUNER, name=Input 7}, 8={code=MPLAY, name=Input 8}, 9={code=GAME, name=Input 9}, 10={code=NET, name=Input 10}}

Thanks in advance for any help!

Try setting the input to "1" (no quotes) instead of "CD". Using the input numbers works for me, using the names doesn't. The driver makes it confusing, because "Set Input Source" asks you to "Input name" when it really needs a number.

Edit: to do it from Rule Machine, create a Run Custom Action, Run Custom Action, Capability:Acutator:[your AVR], Custom Command:setInputSource, Parameter:number, value:input ID.

Edit2: Just realized, I'm using the system driver, so the above may not apply for this driver.

Try adding this line to the driver, in both the command_input and video_select arrays:

CD:     [command: "CD",     name: "CD",             val: false, delay: 1],
1 Like

Hi @mikes, thanks a lot for your tip, use the source number works fine! Late I'll try to change the driver too.

Thanks again!

I just got this new Denon 6700H and was happy to find this post that offered a driver with zone 2 support. Once the drivers were added, I was just as equally happy to see how easy and well it worked.

Like others have mentioned earlier though, I soon realized that it lost the connection somehow. In my case, I noticed it when I rebooted the hub. I had to go into the device page and "Save Preferences" to get the connection back on.

There were discussions a few months ago with @jrfarrar and @jonathan.mesh about modifying the codes to address this issue. There was also a reference of possible interferences/conflict when using the Denon Android app. Unfortunately, the thread kindda die on that topic and no solutions were brought forward.

Anybody has any useful advice on this issue?

Based on this: Hubigraphs 4.8 (The Final Chapter) - #1760 by thomas.c.howard

I don't think the Original Author is going to be helping. I can confirm that connecting the app usually kills the connection. I think the denon can only handle one connection at a time. I'm sure that if someone poked around in the app, creating a routine to "reconnect" after x period of time should be a pretty simple add.

Thank you much for your reply jrfarrar. I read that link you posted and agreed with you, we're not getting a follow up on this one.

For the time being, I won't be using the Denon and Heos apps. I mostly have automations associated with this amp, so those apps have limited applications for me.

The idea of creating a routine to "reconnect" is a good one. We could then use Rule Manager's "Run a Custom Action," and under "Actuator" capability have a command to reconnect the device.

I keep my fingers crossed that someone can help out with this one.

No need to use RM for this. The driver uses Telnet to connect to the Denon receiver. The driver needs to monitor the status of the Telnet connection and implement reconnect logic.

This driver also does not appear to properly implement the ā€œinitializeā€ capability to properly reconnect on a hub reboot. It is missing the

capability "Initialize"

at the top, where the other capabilities are declared.

Also, there is an ā€œinitialized()ā€ routine in the code, but there is a typo in the name as it should be ā€œinitialize()ā€.

Try making those two changes and let us know if that resolves the issue.

2 Likes

I was just asking you in the FB discussion if I could share your solution with this group, but you already did! That's great and thanks again.

I'm sure others who had experienced this problem will appreciate your contribution.

1 Like

I have made the changes to the main driver but am not seeing how to configure the child drivers to the main virtual device.

I have never used this driver, so I am not exactly sure what youā€™re asking. In general, the child devices would be created automatically by the parent device.

@ogiewon is correct. Once you have installed both drivers "Denon AVR Master Device" and "Denon AVR Zone 2 Child Device," you create a virtual device and use the Denon AVR Master Device driver in the "type" section. Make sure you enter the IP address of your device and turn on the option of Zone 2 Child Device in the configuration section. When you save and return to the device list, Zone 2 should show under your main zone.

1 Like

Thanks for the response I have entered the IP address of my Denon and everything seems to be working. I just need to come up with some scenarios for using this driver.

1 Like

Has anyone been having issues with this driver in respect to their HUB's locking up or doing strange things?

My hub keeps locking up, and support seams to believe it is this driver causing my issues.

I'm not convinced yet as I've been running the driver for quite some time, but the lockups have only recently started happening.

No but it should be easy enough to test that out, if the strange behavior is related to the device then it should stop if the device is disabled. Thatā€™s a temporary change you can make on the hub device page and just as easily change back.

That's the rub. The issue is random. Days to months apart. No-one wants to wait months to see results.

I just got a Denon and I found your driver to be a bit more comprehensive than the lackluster built in driver.

However, it needs some work.

I like to improve drivers like this and would like to know if you would like me to post my edits?

1 Like

The author of this driver no longer uses HE. I would suggest making edits and then upload to your own GitHub repo and start a new community thread and post a link here for others to benefit from.

1 Like

@abuttino Did you work on the drivers and republish?