[BETA] A Z-Wave Mesh Tool [C7 and 2.2.4+ Only]

Ok, Tony, I’ve got the Data Error again, this time on 2.2.4.153 on my C-7 (I reverted from 2.2.4.156 to see if any difference). Same device, no error in logs, nothing has been touched for about 20 hours except normal operation of the house.

Here is the output from

http://your_hub_ip/hub/zwaveNodeDetail

as requested by @dennypage.

Screenshot of zwaveNodeDetail

Anything more you would like while the error is still here?

Hubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details

(v0.1.16-beta - 2020-12-03)

I have two now if you need anything.

PM Sent. Thanks!

@tony.fleisher Hello, could you tell me what the Error Count column represents?

I have to say that i really like this tool.

I'm still confounded why some of my routes are the way they are.

To me it looks like the mesh builds its routes based on what was near the device when setup rather than where devices are physically placed in relationship to the repeaters.

here is a snippet from my mesh:

Logically my house is laid out like this:
Front yard - bedroom - office - Bedroom wing repeater - hub - family room repeater - back yard - garage - Sports court

It makes complete sense to me that any device in the office routes through the bedroom wing repeater to the hub.

But it makes less sense to me that all garage door sensors and switches goes to the bedroom wing repeater before making it to the hub. There is a light switch f feet from the garage door sensor that should act as a repeater but it doesn't see it. It literally crosses the entire house to get to the office. I'm sure i setup those device in the office but that was months ago.

The family room repeater is literally visible to the sports court and the bedroom repeater is 5 rooms and (and walls) away at the other end of the house. Yet the sports court is routing via the bedroom?

It makes even less sense to me that the front yard of the house, which is past the office goes through the family room repeater in the opposite end of the house.

I know i setup some of these devices when i had the repeaters in different locations and i moved them around to get better coverage. Not to mention i tend to do initial setup of zwave devices that can move at my kitchen table wich is equidistant from both repeaters and the hub.

To me it appears that depending on which repeater they connected to when setup, that is what they stuck to after initial setup.

Is there anything i can do to rebuild the routes in the mesh to something that seemingly should make more sense? I've done the zwave repars and reboots a couple of times.

I find that some devices on the edge of the mesh, like the garage door sensors or the sports court light is unreliable. I frequently has to tap on or off in the device UI several times to get them to turn on (the sport court lights that is). The garage doors doesn't always report open.

I could remove all devices that are in the garage and in the sports court from this hub and place a third hub directly in the garage and connect those devices to that hub. With hub mesh it makes the automation easy.

Thoughts?

It’s in the release description of these features of the 2.2.4 added Z-Wave metrics, also posted earlier in this thread, discussing PEC:

1 Like

Unfortunately the tool has some limitations...

Based on what I am seeing in my mesh, I am not convinced that the neighbors list is always current (the data this tool exposes comes from the hub, not the end device directly); for some of my battery devices it doesn't seem to change after they join, even though the routes are changing.

1 Like

Interesting. That might explain some things. Good to know. Thanks Tony.

S

I had to exclude and re-include a Eva Logik device (really starting to hate these) and once I did that the mesh report seems to be stuck. I can't get it past this page. This is all the logs say:

app:6422020-12-27 02:15:23.629 pm traceHubitat Z-Wave Mesh Details | Now Running Updated() Method

Check settings zwave details and see if you have any devices with nothing in the clusters.

I had the same thing happen yesterday. Only way I was able to fix it was to make and download a backup, soft reset, restore downloaded backup. Never had this happen before or since, usually my hub just runs unattended, only rebooting when there are firmware updates. C-7, 2.2.4.158, no ghosts.

I had one of these and the report was running. I eliminated it and the report was still running. I then excluded the Eva which had no route and was unresponsive. Re-included that and then this report stopped working. Right now there are no ghosts and everything has a route.

Check to make sure all devices in routes are still on the devices page, I had a couple that indicated they were still routing through a ZSE18 USB-powered (not battery) after I removed it, excluded, powered it down, ran node repairs on them and full Z-Wave repair. Finally shut hub down, removed its power, rebooted. Still there. Waited a couple of days and the phantom node in the routes disappeared. Never any ghost node devices.

Thanks for the report. I found recently that sometimes, for new devices, the hub doesn't have any data in one of the sources i am using for data. It should clear itself up in a half hour or so after including. I will try to get a new release out this week to fix the problem.

1 Like

Sweet. That was it and to put a cherry on top I have no devices finally without a route. EvaLogik - I hate you but I only have a few more of you left. Your time is limited.

v0.2.17-beta has been published
Change log:

• Fix bugs
  • Add reset hostOverride switch
  • Enhancements to device details
3 Likes

Not showing an update in HPM, do we need to install manually?

It should be available in HPM. I will check if I missed something.
Did you install this from HPM (or use matchup) previously?

Maybe was a cache delay?

Update from HPM is showing for me as expected:

I installed originally from HPM. Still shows all my packages are up to date.

Just tried it 6:19PM EST