Best Zigbee Motion Sensors?

Hi all. I have about 50 switches/dimmer and 10 outlets and lots of contact sensors now. I’m ready to add motion sensors but they need to be Zigbee. I did a community search and most of the threads are a couple years old. Anyone have any recommendations on fast responsive motions that don’t drop off the mesh? (Xiaomi).

Thanks!

1 Like

If you can find Iris V2 or V3 (not V1) on Ebay, they seem to work well for everyone, myself included. I also really like the Hue sensors and the 2 AAA batteries literally last for years. The Hue also have light sensing and a configureable re-trigger time down to 10 seconds on the motion sensor.

I've gradually moved from Xiaomi/Aqara to Sonoff sensors.
I have not had any issues with the Sonoff devices. They stay connected whereas my Xiaomi/Aqara would drop off every so often.
My experience is they react slightly slower than the Xiaomi/Aqara devices but not by much. Certainly quicker than my Fibaro and Neo z-wave motion sensors.
The price point is around £9 to £10 in the UK.

I’ve been reading lots of good things about the Hue sensors. I assume they are Zigbee 3.0? The AAA battery is also a huge plus. What batteries does the Sonoff sensor have? Also is there a native driver for it in HE or do you need to find a community supported driver?

Plenty of good z-wave motion sensors out there too. You don't have to limit yourself!

I actually do. The areas I want motion sensors are way too spread out and far away from the hub and 98% of the devices I have are Zigbee. The few zwave devices I have are endpoints only. So to avoid communications issues, that is why I am staying with Zigbee. :slight_smile:

CR2450. With the Xiaomi devices the batteries last up to 2 years. (That's how long I have been using them).

I'm using a community driver that works extremely well.

They are quite small as well. Half the size of a Hue.

1 Like

I've had nothing but headaches with Xiaomi devices. Finally threw away the last of them last week.

Everyones mesh and setup is different though.

I'm a fan of the Iris sensors. They're stable, report temp and humidity, and take a CR123a battery that lasts forever.

I've bought a bunch from this seller.

3 Likes

Great feedback guys thanks. I am going to look at the Hue and Iris sensors for places where I woul d like a multisensor in place, and will use the Sonoff for the spots that a low cost simple solution is just fine. :+1:

Wait, the thread title is “Best Zigbee Motion Sensors”. While the ones you’ve listed here are indeed Zigbee motion sensors, the title of “Best” goes to the NYCE Zigbee motion sensors. :joy:

2 Likes

I don't think they are the best based on these reviews! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.amazon.com/NYCE-NCZ-3041-HA-ZigBee-Motion-Sensor/dp/B00W4C8JAK

As always, take reviews with a grain of salt. There are 11 reviews. These sensors work well with Hubitat, in spite of the 2 reviews saying they don't. They're discrete. And they have a nice ceiling one. The only downside is that they are expensive.

1 Like

Mike still have several Zigbee motion sensors available here for $5 (ST/PEQ Centralite) or $7 (ST) each. They may not be best, but they are very good. IMHO for the price, that makes them better than best.

(*) e.g,. my biggest complaint with the ST motion sensor is the use of a CR2450 battery

:joy: Amazon reviews can be trusted about as much as Ted Cruz can.

4 Likes

Politics? Perhaps a Biden reference is in order.

2 Likes

Keep politics out of here guys. Let's keep this on topic. :wink:

3 Likes

I like them too. It reports temperature as well, which is useful. I like that you can set them on a shelf.

1 Like

No politics. Just pointing out you don't have to be a proctologist to spot the obvious.

1 Like

Big fan of the Philips Hue indoor and outdoor Zigbee motion sensors. Pair beautifully directly to HE and report motion events quick for light automations. Indoor I use them in all the major walk-in closets, laundry room, and kitchen pantry to automate lights when walking into those areas. Outdoor I use them for automating security lights at night and also for outdoor temp sensors.

The hue motion sensors are great. Being a little pricey I just have one in all my major zones, then I supplement them with a bunch of Sonoff SNZB-03 as secondary sensors so I dont have dead spots. They too have been working great. A little smaller than the hues and only does motion but are like quarter of the price of hues.