Best Zigbee Motion Sensors?

For the record Home Depot has a two pack of the Hue motions sensor at a much lower price than you can get them on Amazon.

Costco has the best deal I've seen on two-packs of both the indoor and outdoor models.

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=hue+motion+sensor

2 Likes

Great information. To be sure, do I need a Phillips Bridge with these or will they connect directly with Hubitat?

You win! That is even better than the Home Depot price. Wish I saw that before I ordered! I guess if I really like them, I can order more from Costco. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found the same. What I did was play with the placement of the sensor, both location on the house but also height, until I found that sweet spot where on low it would only trigger when people approached the entry to my front door.

1 Like

I have four Hue indoor motion sensors, and two Hue outdoor motion sensors all directly paired via Zigbee to the HE C-7 hub. Zero issues, rock solid, great performance.

Now with that said, I did purchase a Philips Hue Hub (Gen2.1). Why? Because the motion sensors support firmware upgrade and Hue has made some changes that supposedly improve performance. So I bought a hub (used cheap off eBay) to upgrade all the sensors which is only way you can upgrade them. But that was just for the upgrade task, Hue hub is powered off and in the drawer now.

Me too, only I upgraded one and couldn't tell the difference, so I bagged it on the others.

They're expensive but the Nyce ceiling mount sensors are fast and cover a mid sized room with ease. They use AAA batteries that last a year plus and counting.

Amazon.com : Nyce NCZ-3043-HA ZigBee Ceiling Motion Sensor : Camera & Photo

To confirm, do you need the Hue hub for these? Looking for a replacement for my ZSE40's.

The time spent to either buy/setup a second hub (like a C-5) or use a dongle to workaround security on a occasional succeeding process has made me decide to move on.

No Hue hub required. And the best deal is not Home Depot but two-packs at Costco (both indoor and outdoor models).

https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?dept=All&keyword=hue+motion+sensor+2-pack

1 Like

Wow. Good price, lower than other sites, thanks! Now, just need to decide how much i'll miss the integrated temp. Oh, choices.

Hue motion sensors are 3-in-1 (motion, lux, and temp). The only thing missing is humidity.

1 Like

Sold. thanks!

2 Likes

I just bought a Tuya Zigbee PIR motion sensor to try. It says it needs to work with their zigbee 3.0 hub so I assume this is a zigbee 3.0 device.
Cost Ā£16 from Amazon.
Paired straight away using the stock Generic Zigbee Motion sensor (no temp).
Reports battery level and motion.
Compared to an Aqara/Xiaomi motion sensor it is around 100 - 200 mSecs slower to report motion but we know that the Aqara/Xiaomi are, for me anyway, the quickest out there.
Been working for 2 days now with no issues.
It looks very similar to the Aqara/Xiaomi sensors but is about 5mm taller and has about a 3-4mm wider diameter. It comes with the 'stand' so is easy to fix and angle wherever you wish.
Just thought I'd let peeps know about it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08YRGYVXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm still using the little gen2 Iris sensors. I've had a few malfunction and start eating batteries, but the rest are still going strong. I modified one to run on AC power so that should last forever. The bigger gen3 Iris sensors are too slow IMO.

Yeah, my SmartThings 2016 (same as Iris Gen2 I believe - Centrlite) have worked really well - but eat batteries about every 3 months now. I'm switching out to NYCE - they cost more, but CR2 batteries supposed to last 5 years (we'll see), they are extremely responsive.

Aye, I have one Nyce motion - comparatively quick and hopefully won't develop any battery issues.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.