Best TV for HE elevation?

I've read the threads about the Samsung, Sony, and android integrations, but was wondering what would be the best new model TV to buy strictly from a Hubitat integration standpoint.

I am in the market for a 43 inch TV to put in the window of my sunroom to watch when in the hot tub. 43 is the biggest i can fit in the opening. I don't care about brand or other features.

All the integrations I've seen can power on and off and change source, but I'm looking for the ability to auto switch the source to the tv's web browser and go to the specific url of my blue iris camera software/camera so that i can get the live feed of my driveway camera shown to this TV automatically when it senses motion and sends the trigger to HE. Is this even possible?

I guess I'm asking: If you were in the market for a new tv, what would you buy if you were mainly interested in integrating it with Hubitat?

This can be done using the HD+ dashboard. You can access it directly on fire tvs. Alexa can trigger the dashboard itself to opens on motion. Which can display the video feed from your camera.

1 Like

I've got a Sony, a Samsung, and an LG. The integrations are all a little funky for various reasons - usually because of the way the TVs work. I use them only for the simplest of things. Admittedly I have not tried monitoring the camera system from the hot tub, though I, too, can see my Samsung TV from the hot tub through the windows of the sunroom. I look forward to hearing more about your use case :wink:

I do have a great utility for monitoring the temperature of the hot tub!

2 Likes

I'm doing something similar to this with a Sony Bravia TV, but I'm not using the TV's web browser to run UI3. My BI computer is connected to the TV with an HDMI cable and when motion is detected an HE rule changes the TV's input for a predefined amount of time and then changes it back.

On the BI computer I have an alert action that runs a script that starts VLC and opens the camera feed to full screen. VLC shuts down on the BI machine after the HDMI input is changed back.

If the TV is off the HE rule also turns it on and then back off as well.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I wont be able to do it this way, as my Blue Iris computer is connected to my living room TV as its display already via hdmi.

Streaming the blue iris feed via UI3 seems like the best way to do it. I currently have a fire stick plugged into an old/non smart tv in my kitchen with the firestick's browser set to the desired camera url. It works ok but the connection times out every once in a while, so its not very reliable. Also with this method, it limits me to only a single camera view, as well as increased load on Blue Iris due to UI3 app being opened 24/7 (or at least until the firestick browser times out and shuts off)

Is there any way to automate control of a firestick?

Nice. I'll have to look at that. Ive been meaning to put some hot tub temp displays on my dashboard.

Currently running it low tech....a zwave temp sensor floating in a sealed bag inside my filter housing.

Interesting. Are you able to automate the browser function on a fire tv?

TCL Roku TV (Really just about any Roku TV) The roku integration is solid. Granted I only use it to set lighting and turn off but it's pretty expansive.

2 Likes

Not sure, but if you didnt want to use hd+ dashboard it can probably open tinycam app. All its doing is when motion is detected use a custom command. Its like asking alexa to do something. I just so happen to have mine open Hubitat dashboard on firetv stick.

1 Like

With ROKU, you can add an app called "IP Camera Viewer - Pro" which I use with Blue Iris. It can be configured as a screen saver also. A little tricky to set up, but once done it works flawlessly.

3 Likes

Hmmm never heard of this. I will look into it. Can the camera view be switched to automatically? Is it just another source input that is always on, or do you have to manully get into the camera view each time?

After thinking about it some more, I may have to go this route if i cant find any tv ingeration that changes to camera view automatically.

I already have my blue iris hdmi output into my av receiver. The receiver hdmi output goes to the living room tv now. I will use the 2nd receiver hdmi out into an hdmi to cat6 converter, and output that to the sunroom tv. I already have cat6 run to it. Then i just have to have HE switch the receiver input on motion for 15 seconds or so. Bonus: camera feed will show up on the living room tv, too.

Can you provide an example of the script you are running to automatically start vlc and pull the camera stream into it? Much appreciated.

You can call it up from community HE integration, but I set it up as a screen saver so it automatically starts from the ROKU menu.

2 Likes

Wow. Cool! Am running downstairs to try this now!

This is a python script, it connects directly to a dahua camera. Make sure to replace the username and password along with the appropriate IP address. The timeout in this script is set for 30 sec.

Edit: Revised script is in post below.

1 Like

Will the wonders never cease? Thanks for this. I don't know that I will ever use it but it is cool for $5.

May give this a try myself. Too bad though I can't integrate my eufy doorbell cam

Old Skool -> buttons people need to push? Why don't you have a Tuya Radar sensor that automatically rings the doorbell/flashes lights when a human is sensed?

I've been messing around with this, but can't figure out how to get it implemented in Blue Iris. A couple of questions I have.

I could not figure out how to get the multiple lines of python script into the 'parameter' section on the alert actions page. Do i need to set up anything different or just add it all on that one line?

Since i have no python experience, I tinkered with a single line in Windows command line (cmd) and was able to open vlc, pull in the stream from a camera, set it fullscreen, then close everything after 30 seconds. I could not find a way to have Blue Iris send this command line, though. It can open cmd.exe but nothing else. Do you think it be done?

Thanks for your help.

If you have python installed on your BI machine you shouldn't need anything in the parameter box. Just copy the code in the example above and paste it into a text edit and then do a save as and give it a name with a .py extension. You can save it in any directory you want. Once this is done go into your alert actions and set it to open the .py file on alert.

1 Like